The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:37:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyrita futures

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyrita futures  (Read 4714 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:49 am »

There are several scattered Lyrita threads, so it might be better if any news of future releases is posted here to alert interested members.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XVVPK19/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490955273&sr=1-1&keywords=lyrita

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norman-Peterkin-Charlotte-Rothschild-soprano/dp/B06XGF9VVP/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490955499&sr=1-2&keywords=lyrita

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?keywords=lyrita&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Alyrita&qid=1490955257&sort=date-desc-rank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philip-Cannon-Chansons-String-Quartet/dp/B01N9V125K/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490955499&sr=1-4&keywords=lyrita

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:21:44 am »

Thanks, John for the advance notice of the forthcoming release of music by Gordon Crosse. I was once told that Crosse, in common with others of his ilk, got so discouraged by the neglect suffered by his music that he gave up composition for a time. It will be good to have at least a few more examples on disc. I am not sure where he might stand in any "order of merit" but his music is at least interesting and worth hearing.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »

Thanks, John for the advance notice of the forthcoming release of music by Gordon Crosse. I was once told that Crosse, in common with others of his ilk, got so discouraged by the neglect suffered by his music that he gave up composition for a time. It will be good to have at least a few more examples on disc. I am not sure where he might stand in any "order of merit" but his music is at least interesting and worth hearing.
Completely agreed. What I heard of Gordon Crosse, makes him one of the finest voices from the 1960s. Am afraid he was scared away from the music scene due to the overratedness of 'experimental' music, in those years.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:51:48 pm »

Very welcome August releases:

Daniel Jones: Symphonies 2 and 11

Edmund Rubbra: Sinfonia Concertante, Prelude and Fugue on a Theme of Cyril Scott, Violin Concerto

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest251
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:12:59 am »

Woo hoo!! ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:27:11 am »

Very welcome August releases:

Daniel Jones: Symphonies 2 and 11

Edmund Rubbra: Sinfonia Concertante, Prelude and Fugue on a Theme of Cyril Scott, Violin Concerto

Great to hear that Lyrita are so soon giving us another pair of Daniel Jones symphonies. Presumably the idea will now be to couple Nos. 3 and 12 and Nos. 5 and "13" (the Symphony in Memory of John Fussell). I do hope that the Violin and Cello Concertos are also on their agenda. (Why, why, why didn't Chandos record these symphonies when they had the chance?)

The Rubbra? Well, I am a massive admirer of Rubbra. There are of course modern recordings (by Chandos and by Naxos) of the Sinfonia Concertante and the Violin Concerto. What we really need is a modern recording of the wonderful Piano Concerto in G which has never been re-recorded since the ancient Denis Matthews version.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 11:41:24 am »

What we really need is a modern recording of the wonderful Piano Concerto in G which has never been re-recorded since the ancient Denis Matthews version.

I very much second this. The Piano Concerto is one of Rubbra's finest works IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »

I beg his forgiveness but there is actually a more modern version of the Rubbra Piano Concerto in G- although if you are not fortunate enough to have it the cd is probably unobtainable now. In February 1976 Robert Simpson got the London Symphony Orchestra into the BBC studios at Maida Vale under Vernon Handley and, in the presence of the composer, got them to record the Piano Concerto with Malcolm Binns as soloist, the Soliloquy for cello and orchestra (Raphael Sommer) and the sublime Symphony No.4. BBC Radio Classics/Carlton Classics released the cd in 1997. It has long since disappeared from circulation but I am lucky enough to have bought it at the time. Harmonically apparently so simple the concerto really does demonstrate Rubbra at the height of his powers, capable of such depth of feeling, of that unique "spirituality" which defies mere analysis.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 05:13:13 pm »

I have found the details of these two August releases on Amazon.

The Rubbra Sinfonia Concertante is performed with the composer as soloist with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra under Hugo Rignold and was broadcast in May 1967. The Violin Concerto, played by Endre Wolf with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Rudolf Schwarz, comes from a broadcast in February 1960.

The Chandos Sinfonia Concertante (Howard Shelley and Richard Hickox)dates from 1996 while the Naxos Violin Concerto with Krysia Osostowicz and Takuo Yuasa was recorded in 2004. Both recordings are naturally in stereo.

Presumably Lyrita thinks that these 50+ year old mono recordings deserve to be heard. They may well be right. I hope that they are since I love Rubbra's music. But I cannot claim to immediate or automatic enthusiasm. Quite honestly I would not buy this cd until and unless the reviews of others can convince me to do so. If I was lucky enough to be responsible for Lyrita's release policy I would be asking the serious question-do these performances justify revival when there are excellent modern versions available?

If the answer is indeed "yes" then I will have my doubts removed and will be delighted......
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:48 am »

Reluctantly agree: hate to sound ungrateful - as far as I'm concerned ANY Lyrita release is welcome - but this seems an odd selection, and a pretty low priority given there must be rarer repertoire waiting to be released, although it will be interesting to hear Rubbra perform. Still, I too will be very happy to be proved wrong...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »

Reluctantly agree: hate to sound ungrateful - as far as I'm concerned ANY Lyrita release is welcome - but this seems an odd selection, and a pretty low priority given there must be rarer repertoire waiting to be released, although it will be interesting to hear Rubbra perform. Still, I too will be very happy to be proved wrong...

I can see the "historical interest" in having the composer as pianist in the Sinfonia Concertante and the recording of the Violin Concerto was the work's premiere. But is that enough to justify........?
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:17 pm »

I remember when Gordon Crosse seemed to up-and-coming, but then he just vanished from view. He had a penchant for writing pieces that sounded like Britten knock-offs, even if they weren't musically. If Britten wrote a piece for tenor, horn and strings, then Crosse would have one two.

Incidentally, if I were a composer, I would like to write a work called "Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings". The would confuse people (and demonstrate the difference a comma makes).
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 09:24:36 am »

And I see the early broadcasts of George Lloyd 6 & 7 are scheduled for the autumn...
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:05 pm »

And I see the early broadcasts of George Lloyd 6 & 7 are scheduled for the autumn...

Do we need those on a mono CD when there are good studio stereo recordings?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »

Well...some people might (Lloyd fans especially) but, although I certainly like Lloyd's music I am afraid that this is another example of Lyrita recycling old radio broadcasts of music which is, as just been said, already available, not just in stereo sound but in performances conducted with authority by the composer himself. It would be unlikely therefore -as with the forthcoming Rubbra disc- that I will be rushing to buy this cd. When there must be so much music recorded by Richard Itter which is Not otherwise available this seems strange policy.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: