The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:40:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Cobos,Luis de los - Sinfonia, Op. 8, "Cursus vitae"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobos,Luis de los - Sinfonia, Op. 8, "Cursus vitae"  (Read 278 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:00 am »

Cobos,Luis de los  - Sinfonia, Op. 8, "Cursus vitae"
Jose Luis Temes,Orchestra: Castilla y Leon Symphony Orchestra
I. Adagio - Allegro 15:11   
II. Andante doloroso  8:47 
III. Allegretto tranquilo  4:00 
IV. Presto - Tempo di vals - Andante maestoso  10:31

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:15 pm »

Cobos a great find.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:56:30 pm »

Cobos a great find.
yes..one of my best, I think..I have searched everywhere for more of his music, alas there is precious littlle!!
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »

yes..one of my best, I think..I have searched everywhere for more of his music, alas there is precious littlle!!

This is from a Verso CD entitled "Obras sinfónicas completa" containing only three works - so there should be little else.

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:58:49 am »

This is from a Verso CD entitled "Obras sinfónicas completa" containing only three works - so there should be little else.

Given the quality of his music and the fact that there are at least 7 other symphonies makes for a very sad story. It would be great to know more of this man who elicited favorable comments from Shostakovitch himself!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »

Given the quality of his music and the fact that there are at least 7 other symphonies makes for a very sad story. It would be great to know more of this man who elicited favorable comments from Shostakovitch himself!!

7 other symphonies? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_de_los_Cobos there is only one other symphony, and relatively few other orchestral works. I suspect a major reason for his neglect is that he left Spain and didn't have the benefit of local promotion.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 06:31:07 am »

A great find! Only the First Symphony's third movement, alegretto tranquillo, is still available on Youtube:

His work list doesn't show any proof of "8 symphonies" and we may assume there are only two, spanning much of his career:
Symphony No. 1 ″Cursus Vitae″ (1956)
Symphony No. 2 ″El pinar perdido″ (2012)

See his opus list: http://www.revalladolid.es/contenido/doc/Luis%20de%20los%20Cobos-lista%20obras.pdf
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:00 am »

7 other symphonies? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_de_los_Cobos there is only one other symphony, and relatively few other orchestral works. I suspect a major reason for his neglect is that he left Spain and didn't have the benefit of local promotion.
Sorry, sadly you are correct, there are but 2 symphonies..but the work list looks so achingly awesome...thanks for providing..
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:24:40 pm »

Cobos,Luis de los  - Sinfonia, Op. 8, "Cursus vitae"
Jose Luis Temes,Orchestra: Castilla y Leon Symphony Orchestra
I. Adagio - Allegro 15:11   
II. Andante doloroso  8:47 
III. Allegretto tranquilo  4:00 
IV. Presto - Tempo di vals - Andante maestoso  10:31
The opening of this third movement haunted me all week - most beautiful piece of music I 'discovered' in months. Happily, the complete CD is on Spotify.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: