The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:43:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Women Composers

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women Composers  (Read 1796 times)
guest377
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »

Well...let's start a new thread about women composers.

I can think of many.... Lydia Auster (Estonian)  Zara Levina (Ukraine)  and Amy Beach (USA).   

Just so happen that there are new CDs out since 2017 of Levina's piano concerti and also Amy Beach piano concerto (just released on Hyperion).
Now if we could convince ERP to release some Auster...??

put your fav women composers and works on this thread....    thanks!!   :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:32:12 am »

Well...let's start a new thread about women composers.

I can think of many.... Lydia Auster (Estonian)  Zara Levina (Ukraine)  and Amy Beach (USA).   

Just so happen that there are new CDs out since 2017 of Levina's piano concerti and also Amy Beach piano concerto (just released on Hyperion).
Now if we could convince ERP to release some Auster...??

put your fav women composers and works on this thread....    thanks!!   :)
I agree totally it's truly a shame that they are totally underrated,Germaine Tailleferre,Nina Makarova,Ruth Gipps

https://books.google.it/books?id=CGWyOhGfjUEC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=%22ruth+gipps%22&source=bl&ots=JloEgjAaUG&sig=pkVWootkl_SdeuuI_JM35CE5ZVM&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-luvvrevSAhWiNpoKHXYHAUs4ChDoAQgoMAI#v=onepage&q=%22ruth%20gipps%22&f=false
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:51:30 am »

Ruth Gipps really interests me. I'm also fond of Ethel Smyth, enjoyed the recent recording of The Boatswain's Mate, love The Wreckers and am looking forward to Fete Galante. One day hopefully a recording of The Prison! Thea Musgrave was very enjoyable too.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:16 am »

One who interests me is Marie Jaëll. Most, if not all of her piano music has been recorded, plus she wrote a very fine piano concerto, which can be heard on YT.

Also, a contemporary composer unjustly overlooked is Heather Schmidt (b. 1975, Calgary, now lives in Los Angeles), who writes in a traditional style, works including five piano concertos. Listen to this, the fourth, and see if you are not gripped from the very opening:

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:45:07 pm »

Mr. Gauk - do agree about Heather Schmidt !

Traditionally women composers have been a tiny minority...suppose in the scheme of things it's still true - but there are more reasonably modern women composers that I'm aware of than those of, say, 100-150 years ago.
Within Britain (and not already mentioned) I have somewhere in my collection works by - Sally Beamish, Judith Bingham, Ina Boyle, Charlotte Bray, Doreen Carwithen, Anna Clyne, Alma Deutscher (if we don't count her now we'll certainly have to soon !)Tansy Davies, Catrin Finch, Alissa Firsova (think she must qualify ?), Cheryl Frances-Hoad, Geraldine Green, Helen Grime, Imogen Holst, Emily Howard, Lydia Kakabadse, Nicola LeFanu, Elisabeth Lutyens, Cecilia McDowall, Roxanna Panufnik, Deborah Pritchard, Rebecca Saunders, Dobrinka Tabakova, Hilary Tann, Phyllis Tate, Judith Weir, Margaret Wilkins, Grace Williams.....

and actually I've stopped looking as it was taking too long - haven't missed many. No, not huge numbers compared with the men, but better than it was !

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:19:24 pm »

Traditionally women composers have been a tiny minority...suppose in the scheme of things it's still true - but there are more reasonably modern women composers that I'm aware of than those of, say, 100-150 years ago.

In what field is this statement not true?  "Traditionally women ____ have been a tiny minority"  It's just a fact of history and more so in fields that are slow to adapt by their very time honored/traditional nature.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:37:38 pm »

In what field is this statement not true?  "Traditionally women ____ have been a tiny minority"  It's just a fact of history and more so in fields that are slow to adapt by their very time honored/traditional nature.

Very true... as you know Amy Beach had to compose her music as Mrs. H. H. A. Beach.   It wasn't until many years later that she used the name Amy Beach.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:55:34 pm »

I'd add Jean Coulthard,Alexandra Pakhmutova and Miriam Hyde.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:40 pm »

Definitely Ruth Gipps. Also Elisabeth Maconchy, Germaine Tailleferre, Grace Williams, Henriëtte Bosmans.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:58:41 pm »

Ruth Gipps is a very important and disgracefully overlooked composer. A first rate talent IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:18 pm »

Ruth Gipps is a very important and disgracefully overlooked composer. A first rate talent IMHO.

Great to see this as a shared opinion, here. Would be great to have a record company devoted to her music.

Of course, there are so many more names: Lili Boulanger, Grażyna Bacewicz, Ester Mägi, Ljubica Marić, Anne-Marie Ørbeck, Lūcija Garūta come to mind.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:38:53 pm »

Agree wholeheartedly about Ruth Gipps! There is very little of her music on cd and the recordings we have of broadcast performances are not ideal. She certainly deserves to be rated alongside Elizabeth Maconchy and Grace Williams (both of whom have had more of their music commercially recorded).

Has anybody mentioned Elizabeth Lutyens? Her music is not at all to my taste but she was once highly esteemed by many people but now seems totally forgotten.

And there are the Americans: Jennifer Higdon, Joan Tower and Ellen Taafe Zwilich-the last of whom is one of the finest of living American symphonists.

Not forgetting that the current Master (?) of the Queen's Music is a woman:Judith Weir.

(Leaving New Zealand for Australia on Monday; home in just over a fortnight.)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »

I used to know Judith Weir, but I've not seen her in ages.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »

I'm looking these up on Amazon .... nice comments!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 02:13:19 am »

I would add Kikuko Kanai,Sanat Kibirova first uigur woman composer and
 Xin Huguang first inner mongolian woman composer
  http://pvost.org/personal/kibirova.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print