The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:17:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Women Composers

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women Composers  (Read 1795 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 01:05:27 pm »

One surprising omission so far is Dora Pejačevič (1885-1923) a late-romantic Croatian composer whose works are appearing on CPO. Also, I think Vítězslava Kaprálová (1915-1940) has been missed out, who actually made it to "Composer of the Week" on BBC Radio 3 last year. Another one who sadly died young.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 02:34:08 pm »

http://www.rosalindcarlson.com/
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »

Clive... I mentioned Lydia Auster in the very first post. 

OK - so I got one wrong; lawsuit ?
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 08:24:54 pm »

Definitely lawsuit! You have crimed bigly!!!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 08:37:55 pm »

Definitely lawsuit! You have crimed bigly!!!

Yeah...about all I ever have done on this forum, by the sound of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 01:48:33 am »

http://www.margaritakuss.ru/en/
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 03:24:36 am »

yes bigly.!!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »

I just wish people like Margarita Kuss got more attention, I had the ancient CD with her Lyric Suite and thought she was quite estimable as a composer. Nice to read more about her biographically, thanks toby
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »

yes bigly.!!

Oh, dear - painful !

Mr. Shamus, thank you for getting back 'on track' !
Another lady, well represented on-line...(and not, I think, mentioned in the very first post), is Hanna Kulenty from Poland; some most attractive works, to my untutored mind.
From a very different provenance, but good to see such composers appearing in societies where once.... : Mei-Mi Lan from Taiwan.
Has anyone mentioned Myriam Marbe from Romania ? (Sorry if you have...please don't write in !) Quite a reputation in her country, & a powerful, unconventional Requiem which I'm listening to now.
Isabel Mundry from Germany is another forging quite a reputation.
Another Canadian, after Schmidt & Fung : Kelly-Marie Murphy....again quite well represented on-line.
One I certainly shouldn't have missed off before: Onute Narbutaite from Lithuania.  -  Uggghh...I'm losing track of who has/hasn't - Olga Neuwirth, anyone ? She surely must be up there, though personally...!
Gabriela Ortiz from Mexico - much more my 'scene'. Oh, and have we had Tatiana Smirnova ? Like Pavlova & the Firsovas, very approachable.

Feel as if I ought to start apologising to those ladies whom we haven't mentioned - & there are still plenty !  Maybe it's time for another topic? I'll certainly sign off from this one here.

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:35 pm »

Clive, I say mention away, we may never run out of woman composers to talk about and wonder about their music, but almost inevitably we will actually hear little of it. I am very taken with Kulenty and her colleagues Lidia Zielinska. Bacewicz was already mentioned and I would like to hear some of the unrecorded symphonies, though I was a bit disappointed in her Symphonies 3 and 4 but love her piano quintets and concertos. I was able to talk some libraries out of recordings of Americans Edna Pietsch (actually my friend Bob found more than I did), Radie Britain and Gloria Swisher, naming them and not caring if already named. Anyway, I find their music quite interesting if not Beethovenish or Bachish, which is my standard of excellence--one very hard to reach. One American composer who intrigues me mightily is Julia Perry who wrote 12 symphonies, yet very little of her music is on record, an ancient CRI lp had an orchestral piece by her. Wonder where her archive lies hidden? Anybody knows, would love to hear about it. I second an earlier stated desire to hear Chaminades "Les Amazones" and "Callirhoë. And on and on......
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 09:21:53 pm »

You won't hear Chaminade's "Les Amazones", unless someone re-orchestrates it as the full score and parts are lost. A great loss indeed, IMHO, having read through the vocal score.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 09:49:14 pm »

Toby, you found a composer I never heard of. Very russian, although she was half german.
There is also a connection with Shostakovich; they were long distance friends.

A few of her songs can be found on "classical music online"
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »

Although a minority, I find (a) composition(s) from some 680 female composers in my collection.
And there are many more I am sure. Margarita Kuss is the latest name (Thanks to Toby).

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »

Although a minority, I find (a) composition(s) from some 680 female composers in my collection.
And there are many more I am sure. Margarita Kuss is the latest name (Thanks to Toby).

Wow- not sure life's long enough to work out how many I've downloaded - however, Mr Elroel...you win - by a distance !
Hope the point is that they're nothing like such a rarity as once they were. Might even be a 'sexist' crime (well, everything else is in UK !) to suggest that there's any disparity between 'men'/'women' composers; oh, sorry, no doubt would have to include 'transgender' composers now.
Does it actually matter - they're musically gifted human beings, they compose - we enjoy listening !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2017, 12:29:10 am »

What he said! (Clive)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: