The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:30:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Women Composers

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women Composers  (Read 1783 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »

It's nice to see that Grażyna Bacewicz is at last getting her due.

No-one mentioned Augusta Holmès yet!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »

Aaron I. Cohen compiled an "International Encyclopedia of Women Composers" containing short biographies and work lists of over 5000 woman composers, of course very interesting, but sad to know that so many of them got very little recognition. Some of the work lists show how prolific some of these composers were, in spite of the little to no encouragement they received. Very few commercial recordings exist that are easily obtained, but some university music libraries have archival collections of performances that they will sometimes share, but not very often. I am a big fan of contemporary composers Gubaidulina, Beamish, Heather Schmidt, and so many others, very pleased that the music world has given them a chance to be heard, if not exactly flourish. From Australia there are Peggy Glanville-Hicks, Margaret Sutherland, Miriam Hyde, Miriam Solomon Hill (wife of Alfred), Betty Beath, and most wonderful of all (to me) Elena Kats-Chernin. Damn there are so many I could list, I have been interested in this field since the '70s and collected as much as I could. Also echo the appreciation of English women Gipps, Williams, Boyle, Smyth, et al. and just visited the website of Imogen Holst and was amazed at her huge output as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 12:37:05 am »

Tatyana Chudova:
http://chudova.com/works

Zita Bruzaite
http://www.bruzaite.com/en/index.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:58 am »

Three more:

Elisabetta Brusa, Johanna Doderer, Kaija Saariaho
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 01:26:03 pm »

Three more:

Elisabetta Brusa, Johanna Doderer, Kaija Saariaho
http://www.elisabettabrusa.it/
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 07:32:52 am »

No-one mentioned Augusta Holmès yet!
You did.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:05 pm »

Please add Margaret Sutherland of Australia to the list!!

http://australiancomposers.com.au/composers/margaretsutherland.html

you can listen to her violin concerto here:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,5849.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 09:43:44 pm »

I didn't see scottish composer Helen Grime mentioned here.
At the moment I listen to her beautiful Violin Concerto1
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:39 am »

Despite her tendency to distract from her musical gift with unwelcome politics,Barbara Harbach is one you should hear.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barbara+harbach

I find Harback's music has the same embracing nostalgic quaity as the prolific Alla Pavlova, another of my favorite woman composers.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alla+pavlova

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 02:02:22 pm »

Of course, there are so many more names: Lili Boulanger, Grażyna Bacewicz, Ester Mägi, Ljubica Marić, Anne-Marie Ørbeck, Lūcija Garūta come to mind.

Some good names here, Mr. Christo - just looking through my 'gatherings' to see who else, amongst reasonably 'prominent' names, might be added: don't see Lera Auerbach, or indeed Galina Ustvolskaya.
  Edith Canat de Chizy, Emma-Lou Diemer?
Oh, Unsuk Chin, for sure ! And Gloria Coates (anyone with 15 symphonies... !); whereas Alissa Firsova probably (?) qualified for GBR now, Elena certainly doesn't; Gabriela Lena Frank & Vivian Fung I'd certainly like to mention, + Victoria Poleva.
Think Florence Price must get a credit !
I like Teresa Procaccini...so she's 'in' ! And while we're at it, Karin Rehnqvist. Think Augusta Read Thomas has done enough to qualify, too, & probably Nancy van de Vate
Maybe Helena Tulve ?

No doubt neglected somebody's favourite - sorry !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 03:02:59 pm »

France: Françoise Choveaux, Graciane Finzi, Betsy Jolas, Elsa Barraine, some on YouTube and websites.
Holland: Rosy Wertheim survived the Nazis hiding in Amsterdam, even conducting concerts of music banned by the goons. I have heard a partial completion of her piano concerto.
Spain: Leonora Milà (Catalonia), Matilde Salvador and many contemporary ones.
Romania: Carmen Petra-Basacopoul, Liana Alexandra, Myriam Marbé, Diana Rotaru.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:55 pm »

France: Françoise Choveaux, Graciane Finzi, Betsy Jolas, Elsa Barraine, some on YouTube and websites.
Holland: Rosy Wertheim survived the Nazis hiding in Amsterdam, even conducting concerts of music banned by the goons. I have heard a partial completion of her piano concerto.
Spain: Leonora Milà (Catalonia), Matilde Salvador and many contemporary ones.
Romania: Carmen Petra-Basacopoul, Liana Alexandra, Myriam Marbé, Diana Rotaru.

Ah yes - particularly the Romanians...& Liana Alexandra; very significant symphonic, & other output !

Couple of Zs & Ys (starting from the back of my listings !) : Agata Zubel (mention her largely as an example of the goodly number of Polish women amongst their 'modern' composers), Gaziza Zhubanova (first I believe from Kazakhstan), Isadora Zebeljan (a few Serbian ladies making a mark), Judith Lang Zaimont (should certainly be on any US list), and  Iraida Yusupova (couldn't say if she's the first from Turkmenistan !).
Think the ladies from all over are making their presence felt nowadays !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:36 pm »

Clive... I mentioned Lydia Auster in the very first post. 
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 12:13:16 am »

Interesting that we seem to have many different preferences.
I'm surprised to see only one reference to Lili Boulanger.

I'd add Mildred Couper (a pre-WW2 microtonalist), Sophie-Carmen (Sonia) Eckhardt-Gramatte (much interesting solo violin and solo piano music), Ruth Crawford and Johanna Beyer (pre-WW2 American pioneer/experimentalists), Rebecca Clarke (impressive post-romantic Brit) and Carla Bley (yes, the jazzer, a most original jazz composer).
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 04:52:25 am »

Yes, Lili Boulanger certainly showed her genius in her very short time here on earth, I have enjoyed her music for many years, had the old LP of her Psalm and Buddhist prayer, Pie Jesu (?Everest), actually one of the earliest Lps I found with music by a woman even back in the 70s and 80s. And though it is futile, I can't help but wonder, just as I do about Arriaga, Suolahti, Rott, Filtsch, Mielck, Christian Bernard and so many others, what innovations and beautiful works she would have written had she been allowed a longer life.
Completely tangentially, on youthful works of quality (by a woman), Amy Beach's Mass was written when she was 18 and holds my interest all the way through. Will be interesting to see how Alma Deutscher and Emily Bear progress.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: