The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:56:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dag Wiren - Symphony 1, Op. 3 (1932)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dag Wiren - Symphony 1, Op. 3 (1932)  (Read 4464 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:36:46 am »

Does anyone know the fate of this work?
Dag Wiren - Symphony 1, Op. 3 (1932)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:59 am »

Wiren described his first Symphony as a "student work which should not be performed". The score does exist.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:38:18 am »

boy I don't know... even old LPs from the 1960s from Sweden don't even have this recorded.   My belief is that this work was probably never recorded or like other composers, reworked and worked into other works.    Even checking old LPs from Swedish Society Discofil, Phono Suecia and Caprice ... looks like it was never recorded.   Best information says he withdrew it and reworked it.  Maybe it reappeared as another work.   
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:58:08 am »

http://www.518.nu/Prod/STIM/smicdag_eng.nsf/AllDocuments/DED2558C0F00B5FDC125708E006F145E
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:20:57 am »

Thanks for the info..I guess some temperamental composers have been known to discard their "flukes"..which may not be bad at all..
Maybe a thread for missing or discarded first symphonies would be in order here..They are like missing teeth to me..
Tansman 1 also comes to mind..
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:17:43 pm »

how about Sibelius Sym #8???   His son-in-law retrieved scads of unburned scores from the fireplace in his home... some of which makes up the #8
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:20:13 pm »

how about Sibelius Sym #8???   His son-in-law retrieved scads of unburned scores from the fireplace in his home... some of which makes up the #8

Now this I have never, ever heard before.  Not that I wouldn't want it to be true, but what's the source/evidence for this assertion?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:19:54 am »

listen here:
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,5896.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:39 pm »

Now this I have never, ever heard before.  Not that I wouldn't want it to be true, but what's the source/evidence for this assertion?

Same here: read many versions of the story of the vanished Eight, but this one is completely new to me.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 04:01:10 pm »

from wiki:  also check out the footnotes references in the wiki article.

Back in Ainola, Sibelius busied himself by making new arrangements of old songs. However, his mind returned frequently to the now apparently moribund symphony. In February 1943 he told his secretary that he hoped to complete a "great work" before he died, but blamed the war for his inability to make progress: "I cannot sleep at nights when I think about it."[28] In June he discussed the symphony with his future son-in-law Jussi Jalas and provided another reason for its non-completion: "For each of my symphonies I have developed a special technique. It can't be something superficial, it has to be something that has been lived though. In my new work I am struggling with precisely these issues." Sibelius also told Jalas that all rough sketches and drafts were to be burned after his death; he did not want anyone labelling these rejected scraps as "Sibelius letzten [sic] Gedanken" (Sibelius's last thoughts).[28]

At some time in the mid-1940s, probably in 1945, Sibelius and Aino together burned a large number of the composer's manuscripts on the stove in the dining room at Ainola. There is no record of what was burned; while most commentators assume that the Eighth Symphony was among the works destroyed, Kilpeläinen observes that there had been at least two manuscripts of the work—the original and Voigt's copy—as well as sketches and fragments of earlier versions. It is possible, says Kilpeläinen, that Sibelius may not have burned them all.[16] Aino, who found the process very painful, recalled later that the burning appeared to ease Sibelius's mind: "After this, my husband appeared calmer and his attitude was more optimistic. It was a happy time".[29] The most optimistic interpretation of his action, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer's music critic David Patrick Stearns, is that he got rid of old drafts of the symphony to clear his mind for a fresh start.[22] In 1947, after visiting Ainola, the conductor Nils-Eric Fougstedt claimed to have seen a copy of the Eighth on the shelf, with separate choral parts. The musicologist Erkki Salmenhaara posits the idea of two burnings: that of 1945 which destroyed early material, and another after Sibelius finally recognised that he could never complete the work to his satisfaction.[16]

Although Sibelius informed his secretary that the symphony had been burned, the matter remained a secret confined to the composer's private circle. During the remaining years of his life, Sibelius from time to time hinted that the Eighth Symphony project was still alive. In August 1945 he wrote to Basil Cameron: "I have finished my eighth symphony several times, but I am still not satisfied with it. I will be delighted to hand it over to you when the time comes."[16] In fact, after the burning he had altogether abandoned creative composing; in 1951, when the Royal Philharmonic Society requested a work to mark the 1951 Festival of Britain, Sibelius declined.[30] As late as 1953 he told his secretary, Santeri Levas, that he was working on the symphony "in his mind"; only in 1954 did he admit, in a letter to the widow of his friend Adolf Paul, that it would never be completed.[31] Sibelius died on 20 September 1957; the next day his daughter Eva Paloheimo announced publicly that the Eighth Symphony did not exist. The burning of the manuscript became generally known later, when Aino revealed the fact to the composer's biographer Erik W. Tawaststjerna.[20]

"The silence of Sibelius is the din of his beatification. The Finnish state that raised Sibelius to the level of a national hero also played a large part in crippling his creativity. The nation not only found its hero, it succeeded in silencing him. Silence was, in fact, the only logical response Sibelius could make to his deification by the Finnish state."
Mark McKenna, "Who Stopped the Music?" (November 2012)[18]

Critics and commentators have pondered the reasons why Sibelius finally abandoned the symphony. Throughout his life he was prone to depression[32] and often suffered crises of self-confidence. Alex Ross, in The New Yorker, quotes an entry from the composer's 1927 diary, when the Eighth Symphony was allegedly under way: "Isolation and loneliness are driving me to despair ... Am abused, alone, and all my real friends are dead. My prestige here at present is rock-bottom. Impossible to work. If only there were a way out."[33] Writers have pointed to the hand tremor that made writing difficult and to the alcoholism that afflicted him at numerous stages of his life.[22] Others have argued that Sibelius's exalted status as a national hero effectively silenced him; he became afraid that any further major work would not live up to the expectations of the adoring nation.[18] Andrew Barnett, another of the composer's many biographers, points to Sibelius's intense self-criticism; he would withhold or suppress anything that failed to meet his self-imposed standards: "It was this attitude that brought about the destruction of the Eighth Symphony, but the very same trait forced him to keep on revising the Fifth until it was perfect."[34] The historian Mark McKenna agrees that Sibelius became stifled by a combination of perfectionism and increasing self-doubt. The myth, sustained for more than 15 years, that Sibelius was still working on the symphony was, according to McKenna, a deliberate fiction: "To admit that he had stopped completely would be to admit the unthinkable—that he was no longer a composer".[18]
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 07:49:13 pm »

Nothing in this, though, about his son-in-law pulling half burned scores out of the stove...
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 08:07:43 pm »

I read that in some commentary... let me see if I can find it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »

I think this was in one of the other Forums and its possible that it was mentioned...  "In June he (Sibelius) discussed the (8th) symphony with his future son-in-law Jussi Jalas and provided another reason for its non-completion: "For each of my symphonies I have developed a special technique. It can't be something superficial, it has to be something that has been lived though. In my new work I am struggling with precisely these issues." Sibelius also told Jalas that all rough sketches and drafts were to be burned after his death; he did not want anyone labelling these rejected scraps as "Sibelius letzten [sic] Gedanken" (Sibelius's last thoughts).[28]

At some time in the mid-1940s, probably in 1945, Sibelius and Aino together burned a large number of the composer's manuscripts on the stove in the dining room at Ainola. There is no record of what was burned; while most commentators assume that the Eighth Symphony was among the works destroyed, Kilpeläinen observes that there had been at least two manuscripts of the work—the original and Voigt's copy—as well as sketches and fragments of earlier versions. It is possible, says Kilpeläinen, that Sibelius may not have burned them all.[16]

this is from Wiki... I think one of the commentators mentioned that his son in law had intimate knowledge of the 8th and "may have" pulled a copy from the stove.....   I'll see if there was a source for that note.

http://www.fmq.fi/1995/12/sibelius-eight-what-happened-to-it/
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 08:44:37 pm »

What did the ainola stove devour?

What exactly did Sibelius burn? At least two final manuscripts existed of the Eighth Symphony: the original one and the copy made by Voigt.

WHAT DID THE AINOLA STOVE DEVOUR?
Then there may also have been some drafts or early versions in addition to the fragments that were spared the flames. Did Sibelius burn them all? According to Erik Tawaststjerna, Sibelius burnt everything to do with the symphony, sketches and all, in the mid-1940s. Erkki Salmenhaara is more inclined to believe that he first, probably in 1945, burnt some earlier version and a few years later all the rest of the material. This latter hypothesis agrees with Vougstedt’s report. Just recently various documents have come to light which no one dreamt even existed. Maybe there are still some clues to the 8th Symphony hidden away and just waiting for some scholar to discover them one day. Until then, Sibelius’s last symphony will remain a mystery.

From Finnish Music Quarterly magazine 4/1995
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: