The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:39:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Orchestration with organ

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orchestration with organ  (Read 502 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:16:29 am »

A thought struck me. It's not so rare in symphonic works, that if a composer wants to beef up a climax he sticks an organ into the texture. The organist doesn't get to play any solos, he's just there to give a bit more oomph to the tuttis. Can anyone think of any examples where this happens in a concerto (obviously not an organ concerto)?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:21:14 pm »

how about Music of the Spheres by Langgaard for starters.....  Langgaard was an interesting fellow.. follower of Theosophical Society  and hollow earthers.... interesting for 1920s

The Music of the Spheres is a symphonic work of great complexity, calling for a large orchestra, organ and choir, a supporting (distant) orchestra including a soprano voice, and a further piano on which the strings are played directly rather than via the keys. It was composed during World War I, but only performed twice (in Germany in 1921–1922) during Langgaard's lifetime and lay dormant for almost 50 years before being rediscovered. When it was rediscovered in the late 1960s, it was considered remarkably modern and reflective of the pathfinding style in which Langgaard composed.
In 2010 Music of the Spheres received its British premiere at The Proms, conducted by Thomas Dausgaard. (on dacapo)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:27 pm »

I know it well, but it ain't a concerto by any stretch of the imagination. I'm thinking of a piano or violin concerto. I really can't see anyone sticking in an organ for say, a clarinet concerto.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:33:48 pm »

how about Langgaard's sym no 13??  there is an organ that beef's up the sound in the 6th movement??   also a piano... interesting composer... sometimes sounds like something Beethoven would compose...for 1920s...  he was indeed a very late romantic !!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:06:04 pm »

Also not a concerto. I can think of numerous works that are not concertos, including, I think, the Enigma Variations. I imagine it would have to be a piano concerto, since these often pit the soloist against a large orchestra. Violin concerto would be a faint possibility, buy any other soloist would usually be matched with a lighter orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:59 am »

Yes, and once you hear he Enigma Variations with a substantial organ, the performance sounds shallow without it.....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: