The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:35:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Holmboe: Complete Chamber Concertos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmboe: Complete Chamber Concertos  (Read 226 times)
guest377
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:18 am »

Just wondered if anyone has this collection of CDs from dacapo...  are they worthwhile?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:58:05 am »

I have some of the disks, and they are very good. There is some debate as to whether these or the BIS versions are better; the conclusion seems to be that some Da Capo concertos are superior and some BIS concertos are superior, but BIS hasn't recorded all the chamber concertos.

If they are at a good price (like the Da Capo Holmboe String Quartets), then they are well worth it.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:32 pm »

Hello dhibbard,

I first became acquainted with Holmboe as a mere composer's name through Paul Rapoport's book "Opus Est".
Several works I heared afterwards didn't impress me much, until I came across these chamber concertos! I have
got all of them on CD and like them very much, as is the case with his Preludes for Sinfonietta. I am listening to
these works much more often than to his symphonies.
So I would definitely recommend this CD collection (which also can be purchased as FLAC (or mp3)-downloads
from the DaCapo website, or from Qobuz ....)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »

I have the lot on da Capo and listen to them quite often. They are somewhat different from the symphonies, as you might expect - much lighter in texture.

There also exists a bizarre CD wherein several of the concertos are mucked about with by a disc jockey - to be avoided.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:12 pm »

yeah ... there are a few 21st century on DaCapo that after the first 1 minute... you know you made a mistake purchasing it... good thing it was used and cheap.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: