The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:59:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Croatian Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Croatian Music  (Read 6975 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 01:35:48 am »

I think we owe a huge vote of thanks to ttle for the massive upload of Bersa symphonies :)

You mean Bjelinski ;D

Many, many thanks from me as well, Ttle :) :) Bjelinski's music has long been on my wish-to-hear list. Apparently he composer fifteen symphonies in total!

So many new Downloads ;D  My head is spinning like a top ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 12:58:04 am »

I think we owe a huge vote of thanks to ttle for the massive upload of Bersa symphonies :)

You mean Bjelinski ;D

Many, many thanks from me as well, Ttle :) :) Bjelinski's music has long been on my wish-to-hear list. Apparently he composer fifteen symphonies in total!

So many new Downloads ;D  My head is spinning like a top ;D

Maybe that Bjelinski hasn't been recorded on cd yet?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:58 am »

It appears that only one work of Bjelinski's has made it to CD: his Clarinet Sonata, which is on this Crystal Records CD:

As has been mentioned earlier, his Cello Concerto no. 1 and Symphony no. 9 are available on mp3 albums from Amazon.

:)
Report Spam   Logged
guest140
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:06:38 am »

The Concertino di primavera is on a Jecklin CD (Jecklin JS 277-2)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:39 am »

Thanks for the info, but I cannot seem to find that particular CD. Jecklin CDs are notoriously difficult to get ahold of ::)

BTW I found some more Bjelinski on YT: his Concerto for clarinet and strings, Divertimento for orchestra, Three Biblical Legends for trombone and piano, a Sinfonietta and part of his Cello Concerto no. 1:

Concerto (I):
Concerto (II):
Concerto (III):  http://youtu.be/TOIs8Rjq9rY
Concerto (IV):
Divertimento:
Biblical Legends:
Sinfonietta:
CC 1 (excerpt):

:)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 09:13:31 am »

The Bjelinki Sinfomietta on YT is not complete. Only part I is there
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:40 pm »

Many thanks, Ttle, for the Sulek Organ Concerto :)

Good heavens.....this composer is well-represented in our downloads ;D

....and none the worse for that :)
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »

Yes indeed  ;D
It is a pleasure. Maybe an Art-Music forum lobby can convince Mr. Heymann that Sulek is not such an 'obscure' composer! 8) After all, more or less once a year, one or another of his symphonies is performed in concert by one of the main two Zagreb orchestras, some of his instrumental concertos every once in a while, and then there are the classical concertos, the sonatas, the quartets...
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »

I would like to add my thanks to ttle for the Sulek organ concerto. I have collected organ concertos all my music-appreciating life and this one is one of the most beautiful and powerful I have heard. My ideal of most heavenly would be a big all-out late romantic or early 20th Century concerto for organ and piano that would give me the shivers all the way through, like the beginning of the last movement of St. Saens Symphony 3 where the organ comes in full, then the piano joins in and they dialogue for the briefest of ecstatic moments. Oh my, let me take a chill pill.   :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:55 pm »

My ideal of most heavenly would be a big all-out late romantic or early 20th Century concerto for organ and piano that would give me the shivers all the way through, like the beginning of the last movement of St. Saens Symphony 3 where the organ comes in full, then the piano joins in and they dialogue for the briefest of ecstatic moments. Oh my, let me take a chill pill.   :)

;D ;D

That would be totally awesome (as kids these days would say) ;D

BTW have you heard Petr Eben's huge Concerto gregoriano (Organ Concerto no. 1), which is on an Oehms CD? Epic and Mahlerian don't even begin to describe it ;D
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 10:10:47 pm »

Did anyone else pick up on the quote throughout  the second movement of Sulek's Organ Concerto of the Christmas carol "The First Noel"?
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:24 am »

Yes, I heard the First Noel, too, wondered if it meant anything, lovely in any case.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:34 pm »

Yes, I heard the First Noel, too, wondered if it meant anything, lovely in any case.

Sulek seems to quote other music in his works quite regularly. I'm sure there must be some significance, but have not read anywhere what it may be. Perhaps ttle can enlighten us?

The last two movements of the 6th Symphony appear to quote a distinctive figure from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. The 7th Symphony quotes Bruckner. The 8th Symphony quotes Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. I'm sure other works have quote as well, that are perhaps less obvious.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:27 pm »

I would like to add my thanks to ttle for the Sulek organ concerto.

Sitting in my holiday hotel in N. Cyprus enjoying it now.....because it's raining (better than the snow we left in GB, though !). Lovely, thanks !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »

There is also a very clear quote from Bruckner's Seventh in the slow part of the Sixth Symphony. Šulek's use of quotations must have been documented and I shall try to find references discussing them. Here is, however, part of the tribute paid by Stanko Horvat, one of his students and himself a major Croatian composer of his generation (in a relatively traditional vein):
It seems to me worth mentioning that Maestro Šulek attained his skills as a composer almost completely alone, without a teacher to look at, or better to say to many teachers he was choosing by himself, and he chose the greatest ones: Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner,... and remained always faithful to them. The fact that an extraordinary talent looks back at past in his creation deserves special study and consideration. For me, this is a kind of anticipation of phenomena we are witnesses of today, especially in literature and fine arts, anticipation of post-modernistic phenomena and of emergence of authors “with memory”, as they say today. Master Šulek is an author “with memory”, and, as Borges and Eco write about books from past ages, so does Master Šulek speak in his scores about the music of the past. As much as we might have been surprised and puzzled by such an attitude, as we were growing older, having actively participated in the turbulent developments in music, we started to turn more and more to the past, finding beauty, peace, order and human dignity in it, all the things our unsettled age has been depriving us of.
cf. http://wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Sulek_Horvat.pdf
and another interesting survey by musicologist Eva Sedak:
http://wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Sulek_Sedak.pdf
(the latter suffering from what seems to be a "classic" distorsion from elaborate Croatian to convoluted English, but still worth reading).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: