The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:17:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Croatian Music

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Croatian Music  (Read 7005 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »

Music of Miljenko Prohaska

1. Radio Intro
2-4: Concertino for Jazz Quartet
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra Strings
Radio broadcast, Date Unknown
Zagreb Jazz Quartet
Composer, Conductor

5-7:  Concertino for Jazz Quartet
(LP source-most likely MYSTERY OF BLUES (Jugoton LSY-65015/6). From Yugoslavia in 1976)

You are not seeing double, this is two versions of the same work.

From the collection of Karl Miller

For what it's worth, I really like this work-- it seems to play equal weight to the jazz and classical elements, and the orchestration is quite creative.  (I must admit that the Kapustin works I posted on UC (and will bring here at some point in the future), had pretty dull orchestration/backing.   This is quite different-- I'm finding both "halves" quite satisfying, and this is an excellent example, IMO,  of what Third Stream should be.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Years active   1950s–present
Miljenko Prohaska (born 17 September 1925) is a notable Croatian composer, music arranger and orchestra conductor.

He is mainly known for founding a number of prominent Croatian orchestras and for his longtime service as the conductor of the Radio Zagreb Dance Orchestra (present-day Croatian Radiotelevision Big Band Orchestra).[1]

Prohaska was born in Zagreb and he first began learning the violin at a children's music school in Zagreb. He went on to enrol at a secondary music school where he was educated as a contrabass player and graduated in 1951, before continuing his studies at the Zagreb Music Academy and graduating in 1956 from the music teaching department. Since the mid-1950s until the late 1980s Prohaska was a contrabass player with the Zagreb Philharmonic Orchestra, the Radio Zagreb Symphony Orchestra, the Yugoslav Radio Orchestra, the Zagreb Jazz Quartet and many other musical ensembles.[1] He was also the director of the Zagreb Festival of Popular Music (Zagrebfest) from 1967 to 1969.

In 1989 he retired from playing and became the conductor of Radio Zagreb's Dance Orchestra. Between 1996 and 1998 he was conductor of the Croatian Army Big Band. Prohaska also conducted orchestras at five Eurovision Song Contests (twice in London, twice in Dublin ad once in Madrid),[1] and often performed around the world, including one of his more notable appearances at the 10th Monterey Jazz Festival in 1967, when he conducted the Don Ellis Orchestra rendition of his compositions.[1] In 1966 Leonard Feather included him in The Encyclopedia of Jazz in the Sixties, and Willis Conover (the notable jazz broadcaster on the Voice of America) dedicated two of his regular programs to Prohaska and his music.[1]

As a composer he is mainly known for his jazz music, but he also made a number of compositions for symphony orchestras, as well as music arrangements for popular Croatian singers such as Josipa Lisac, Gabi Novak and Arsen Dedić.[2] Some of his compositions premiered at the Carnegie Hall in New York City and in Paris and were performed by the Modern Jazz Quartet, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and the Paris Philharmonic Orchestra.[1] He also worked as a score composer for a number of television and theatre plays, animated and films, ballets and choirs, and scored fifteen Croatian feature films. More recently, Prohaska occasionally works with the Zagreb Saxophone Quartet, the Zagreb Soloists, the Croatian Radiotelevision's Symphony Orchestra and their Big Band, and many others.

He is a longtime member of the Croatian Composers' Society and had served as its president twice (1967–1968 and 1988–1990).[1] Prohaska won numerous numerous awards for his work, including the Golden Arena for Best Film Music (1968),[3] the Vladimir Nazor Award for Life Achievement (1988) and the Porin Award for Life Achievement (1995).[1]

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »

Oh dear, Mr. Jowcol, had better download your jazz themed music before we are all summararily banned ! Sure it's well up to the standards of the lovely music you've presented us with in the past Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
MVS
Level 2

Times thanked: 12

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »

re:  Sakac:  Matrix Symphony

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?e1jrn044dq5wh8d

(Should have included this with the downloads, but...)
Report Spam   Logged
Ulalume
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:04 pm »

The file of Sulek fifth symphony seems unzipable. I have downloaded it twice, but the zip file opens with an error warning and doesn't work. The file of Sulek's third works fine.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

My copy of Sulek's 5th looks good. But that is from an earlier download(June).

If necessary I can re-upload it?

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:42 pm »

I have had the same problem with the Sulek 5th, Roelef :(
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:28:33 am »

I just uploaded a new link for the Sulek 5th Symphony. Please let me know if there are still problems.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 01:39:30 am »

I just uploaded a new link for the Sulek 5th Symphony. Please let me know if there are still problems.

No problem this time :)
Report Spam   Logged
Ulalume
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:59:51 pm »

Thanks !
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:16:21 am »

Many thanks, Sicmu, for the Blagoje Bersa piece :) :)

Bersa has always been a composer I have wanted to hear more of since hearing his beautiful, lush symphonic poem The Sunny Fields :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:23 pm »

I think we owe a huge vote of thanks to ttle for the massive upload of Bjelinski symphonies :)
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »

It was a pleasure   ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:37:43 am »

I think we owe a huge vote of thanks to ttle for the massive upload of Bersa symphonies :)

You mean Bjelinski ;D

Many, many thanks from me as well, Ttle :) :) Bjelinski's music has long been on my wish-to-hear list. Apparently he composer fifteen symphonies in total!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:34 am »

Bjelinski's music has long been on my wish-to-hear list. Apparently he composer fifteen symphonies in total!

Plus six sinfoniettas!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:22 am »

Quite a productive man, I see! His countryman and contemporary, Boris Papandopulo, was also enormously prolific.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: