The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:38:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Croatian Music

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Croatian Music  (Read 7036 times)
Ulalume
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

A lot of works by Sulek have been uploaded here, some of them are also on youtube. I would recommend :

- Last Adam a cantata that reminds me of Sibelius for some reasons (maybe the sonority of the language)
- Organ Concerto "Memento" a sort of Bach/Liszt homage with added features (military drums notably)
- Symphony n°6 a fruit salad with Tchaikovsky, Bruckner or Prokofiev being the fruits
- Classical Concerto n°2 for string orchestra
- Two Interludes from Coriolan a short work which might be a good introduction to Sulek.

I have come to the provisional conclusion that the impression left by Sulek's works is more related to the intensity of the interpretation than the expressivity of the work itself. Many of the other broadcasts are conducted by Pavle Despalj, a tireless champion of the composer, but I find him - maybe harshly - a tepid conductor.

I have just discovered this article about the british premieres of Sulek second symphony and Hartmann fourth. I don't know if political ideology is an obsession of the author or of the time :

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/28th-october-1955/20/music

Also I have found an organ piece Triptih that may have eluded some aficionados (the interpretation is a bit tentative) :

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: