The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:48:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski (1923-2017)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanislaw Skrowaczewski (1923-2017)  (Read 515 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:11:39 am »

(I drop by this Forum from "the Other Side of the World": I have just crossed the Cook Strait to South Island, New Zealand, to find members talking about the forum dying :o Surely not!!)

However, I am surprised that no one appears to have commented on the death of that great conductor Stanislaw Skrowaczewski. Skrowaczewski did admirable work in Manchester with the Halle Orchestra and in Minneapolis with the Minnesota Orchestra. His interpretations of Bruckner were particularly moving and intense. He was also a composer and I think some of his music may be available through this site (I am at a technological disadvantage at present, so far from home). What I think also marked Skrowaczewski was that he belonged to that generation of conductors who had grown up during the Second World War and its immediate aftermath and in his case had worked with Polish orchestras during the height (or depths) of the Polish Communist regime. I cannot but think that these experiences shaped musicians, composers, conductors and help explain the passionate commitment they brought to their art.

(Back in five weeks ;D)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:54:06 am »

Well,I'm not dying,as far as I know! Not yet,anyway?!! (Says he,checking his pulse!) :( :( ;D Hopefully,everyone else here is brimming with life too!
I can't comment on this conductor,I'm afraid. I have pondered over his recordings of Brahms,though. There are some enthusiastic reviews on the web. Nice cover photos,too! I have been tempted a few times! I didn't know he'd passed away,though. I'm sorry to hear it.

Wish I was there!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »

The cover photo's are temptation,enough! Has anyone here heard these recordings? The Wyn Morris (once,dubbed the Welsh Furtwängler) Beethoven recordings and Mahler No 5 are also well worth collecting on this label,imho.
 :P
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »

another great one passed away!!
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:08 am »

He built the Minnesota Orchestra into a world class ensemble.  I'll never forget the Bruckner 9 he conducted in memory of JFK.  he always programmed some 20th century piece which drove me batty but then that's just not my not thing.   A sad day.

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:58 am »

The cover photo's are temptation,enough! Has anyone here heard these recordings? The Wyn Morris (once,dubbed the Welsh Furtwängler) Beethoven recordings and Mahler No 5 are also well worth collecting on this label,imho.
 :P

Come to think of it,I don't want anyone saying,how good his Brahms is,as I'll have to find yet more room!! :( I can remember the cd's in shops now,though. To think that Boot and WH Smiths actually once stocked classical cds!!
His Bruckner and Beethoven cycles both received acclaim,apparently. He was 93!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: