The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:09:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

How do you store your CDs??

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you store your CDs??  (Read 1116 times)
guest377
« on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:03 am »

I have found over the years that the jewell boxes that the CDs come in take up too much storage space... so what I do is store the booklet and CD in a polyvinyl sleeve with the CD tucked in with the booklet.   I then take out the back slip in the jewel case and store the cases somewhere out of sight.  Then I store the polyvinyl "envelops"  (CD + booklet) in a storage box... for easy access.    I get the CDs polyvinyl sleeves from Bags Unlimited...https://www.bagsunlimited.com/

I find that after owning over 1000+ CDs I must use these methods to store them.    Any thoughts??
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:31 am »

I also found the jewel cases taking up way too much room.I have filled a good size bookcase and two chests of drawers!
These days I don't buy too many new cds,it has to very special,or a work I've long wanted finally put on disc.
I still have a little storage room!

Anyway,I'm having too much fun with downloads here and non copyright works on youtube.
As my main interest is soviet era works,generally no copyright problems there.

I still burn these works to disc,and have bought an aluminium cd storage case,the size of a large briefcase.
It holds 500 cds in sleeves.There is also a 1000 storage case available!

I just write on the disc with a cd marker,and store them alphabetically.

Don't tell my wife.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »

Couple of ideas to consider there, thank you!
Mine are still piled high, jewel cases and all. Well, can think of worse decoration for a room...but time may come !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »

I stored over 2000 of them at my local university's music library! Lots of space now and haven't slit my wrists over their absence yet. That was prompted by trying to sell some and finding that CDs I spent $15+ for were now worth 50 cents apiece. I do the slim cases or plastic lined paper sleeve method for all the cdrs I have made (probably 3000) and they don't take up much room.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:50:30 am »

That was prompted by trying to sell some and finding that CDs I spent $15+ for were now worth 50 cents apiece.

Such a shame CDs were never a good investment like bricks & mortar, but it's hard to take that lovingly assembled collections of beautiful music have basically NO resale value !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »

Yes in fact one of my pastimes is shopping at recycled or used book/CD stores... nice to find a long out of print CD for $USD1.99  when it sold new for $USD15.99.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:04:29 pm »

I bought a couple of huge folders which store eight CDs to a leaf. Having filled those, I still have a custom wooden shelving unit full of jewel cases, plus some untidy piles. Unfortunately, getting rid of the jewel cases is not straightforward - it means a trip to the dump.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33:23 pm »

A clerk at Tower Records told me that the only reason jewel cases were invented was for display at retail stores, also makes them harder to steal.  I put mine in a big storage box and up they go to storage in the attic.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »

I have a number of CDs that came in cardboard and plastic cases, with a little pocket for the booklet. They are rather nice. They seem to be more common for French companies.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:32:20 pm »

When I ran out of space, I stopped writing cdr's -but still buy cd's- I store them this way: the pieces I download I write on hard drives (with a 2nd hard drive as a backup drive.
On these harddrives I place everything in 'virtual' cd's.
When I want to listen to the car stereo I write a CD/RW.
The cdr's I wrote, and original cd's with there booklets, stay intact in a couple of cupboards I made from from those Ikea bookcases (the 'famous(?)' Billy); split one case horizontal in two and make the case higher; doubled the number of shelves so they store 850 cd's a piece. A glass door in front and ready you are. I placed two of these high cases back-to-back. In an area of around 40 square inches you have space for 1,700 cd's.

Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 05:12:34 pm »

When I moved from a large house to a small flat last autumn I wanted to take my 3000+ cds with me and still have them all easily accessible, come Hell or high water, so I treated myself to some brilliant system shelving from http://www.shelfstore.co.uk/ - you can specify your exact requirements and make a virtual construction online...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest377
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 11:36:46 pm »

When I moved from a large house to a small flat last autumn I wanted to take my 3000+ cds with me and still have them all easily accessible, come Hell or high water, so I treated myself to some brilliant system shelving from http://www.shelfstore.co.uk/ - you can specify your exact requirements and make a virtual construction online...

;D

Very good!!!   Great idea
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: