The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:29:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?  (Read 4413 times)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »

This includes our vast British and Irish Music Archive which is without parallel on the net.
It is, or indeed isn't. A real treasure cove.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 11:16:25 pm »

I enjoy this forum but it's a little like communicating with someone on the outer fringes of the Solar System - you post a message and, if you're lucky, get a response several weeks later.
 8)
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 08:08:39 am »

I enjoy this forum but it's a little like communicating with someone on the outer fringes of the Solar System - you post a message and, if you're lucky, get a response several weeks later.
 8)
Black hole calling!  :D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:34 pm »

8)

You must appreciate that this forum has a comparatively small membership compared to, say, GMG and and an even smaller number of "active members". There are those who find the range of topics discussed too narrow. There are those who find the absence of heated debate or rancorous discussion too polite and not lively enough for their needs.

I have posted more than anyone else on here but (a) I had a serious illness three months ago and am trying to cut down on the time I spend sitting in front of my pc, (b) I have been away from home for a week, and (c) our own musical tastes and views are so akin, Jeffrey, that repeatedly posting "I agree" would be unedifying

Many of my posts get little if any response but that is just something one has to accept

.....and-if you are seeking any disagreement -while I do agree that the Philip Spartley Symphony No.3 is both excellent and highly enjoyable I do not find the last movement in the slightest"Brucknerian" 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »

One thing I like about this forum is that it is totally driven by the contributors.. we don't have a moderator posting topics and then arguing with the members about what is or what should be..  it is somewhat like sending a message out into outer space and getting a response months or weeks later... but that is the beauty of the forum....  enjoy !!
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:14 pm »

One thing I like about this forum is that it is totally driven by the contributors.. we don't have a moderator posting topics and then arguing with the members about what is or what should be..  it is somewhat like sending a message out into outer space and getting a response months or weeks later... but that is the beauty of the forum....  enjoy !!

Funnily enough I was just about to post on a new topic when I read your comments :)  Never mind, I can so I shall............ ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

8)
Black hole calling!  :D
  8)
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »

8)

You must appreciate that this forum has a comparatively small membership compared to, say, GMG and and an even smaller number of "active members". There are those who find the range of topics discussed too narrow. There are those who find the absence of heated debate or rancorous discussion too polite and not lively enough for their needs.

I have posted more than anyone else on here but (a) I had a serious illness three months ago and am trying to cut down on the time I spend sitting in front of my pc, (b) I have been away from home for a week, and (c) our own musical tastes and views are so akin, Jeffrey, that repeatedly posting "I agree" would be unedifying

Many of my posts get little if any response but that is just something one has to accept

.....and-if you are seeking any disagreement -while I do agree that the Philip Spartley Symphony No.3 is both excellent and highly enjoyable I do not find the last movement in the slightest"Brucknerian" 

Colin - very sorry to hear about your illness and wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Our blazing online row about Philip Spratley's Third Symphony can wait!

I take your point about this forum which I still enjoy despite the Marie Celeste-type ambience.

All best wishes
Jeffrey
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 02:13:24 pm »

Thank you and I agree.

I'm having to have a glass of wine to calm my nerves after all the activity on this page  8)

Sorry, after decades from being banned from using sarcasm as a teacher I am trying to make up for lost time!

Genuinely appreciate responses though - thank you  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: