The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:51:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?  (Read 4418 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:50:54 pm »

Sorry - don't know how else/where else to put this !
AMF is a magnificent forum (as was once UC), graced by the presence of hugely knowledgeable,experienced musicians and music scholars, but, rightly or wrongly, there seems less and less genuine interaction between participants...so that posts, as in, for instance, 'coming broadcasts', 'you tube performances', 'broadcast videos' ++ are being put up in all good faith....and nothing is being posted to recognise that anyone ever made the effort.
Don't for a moment pretend, for example, to speak for member Henrietta Pedal, or several others in different topics, but are such contributors being put off by the fact that nobody appears to acknowledge that their posts ever existed, never mind that they made any slightest difference to anyone ?? ('Henrietta's' not bothered even to log in for 6 weeks now !)
Very, very occasionally, something seems to strike a chord with a few members, & a lively-ish discussion ensues; elsewhere...post after post with no response, or maybe just, as in 'The Listener', another member stating what they're doing without any regard for what has gone before.
May well be churlish, disingenuous...or whatever else you care to call it, to mention one contributor - but I always feel most disheartened that I can't respond more positively to 'Violinconcerto',who puts up all sorts of excellent 'steers' under 'discussion of obscure composers'. Reward (?) - well, precious little actually.

PLEASE, PLEASE....if you know I'm talking rubbish, shout me down; but preferably with hard facts to prove something to the contrary !!
 Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, visits to this site are just 'going through the motions' now, before getting on to other sites where there will definitely be reasons to stay, and leads to research.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest140
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:20:13 am »

May well be churlish, disingenuous...or whatever else you care to call it, to mention one contributor - but I always feel most disheartened that I can't respond more positively to 'Violinconcerto',who puts up all sorts of excellent 'steers' under 'discussion of obscure composers'. Reward (?) - well, precious little actually.

Thanks for that. A lot! I am so happy that my project at least touches a string in the one or other person here. But I also know that my work and my offers are very, very special. Modern unknown violin concertos are a niche (in contrary to piano concertos for example). And "scores of modern unknown violin concertos" are a niche in a niche. So I don't take the silence too personally, it's just the topic. But if you compare the activities on this forum to "Talkclassical" forum, than one can see the differences! When I post one of my little new contributions here and come back in - say - 3 days to check for responses, my posting is still on top or at least on the first page. When I go to Talkclassical half a day later, my posting is gone (due to the fact that nobody answers - same problem there). So maybe I won't say this forum is dying, but most of the time it is sleeping. And that is a problem of this forum, not generally to talking about classical music. That is my impression.

Thanks again a lot for your comment, that made my day!

Best,
Tobias
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:04:46 am »

AMF is a magnificent forum (as was once UC), graced by the presence of hugely knowledgeable,experienced musicians and music scholars

Exactly my feelings, am really grateful to many posters here who are so well-informed about rather 'obscure' composers that I happen to love too. That I'm not always responding, doesn't mean I don't read and appreciate these posts. Hope we'll continue!
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:14 pm »

A lot of posts probably get no response because there is nothing to respond to. Just posting s link to something on YT without any remark as to what it is, or why anyone should check it, doesn't encourage a response. Same with posts along the lines of "today I listened to Symphony No 1 by Heimo Erbse". And? So what? (Actually I did, but I'm not moved to listen to No 2, but that's neither here nor there).

I'm not saying people shouldn't make such posts, but personally, I pass them over quickly. It's not surprising if there is no response.

Then, on the other hand, there are some posts that a lot of work has gone into, and it's certainly a shame if those draw no comments.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:31:25 pm »

I agree with all of the above. Both regarding the lack of discussion to interesting posts or uploads made, but also being slightly annoyed by posts which are just a youtube link with no description of what it is. Why would I open that?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:00:52 am »

I would say this forum is what you make of it... if you want interesting commentary.. provide it.   If you want news about composers, provide it.  If you want downloads from radio broadcasts....try to provide it.   

This forum has greatly enriched my collection and knowledge of music and I've learned a lot from reading others comments.  I especially have enjoyed looking and researching the composers by country.  There are several countries that bore composers that I wasn't aware of.   

I understand that not everyone is retired and they work full time and perhaps has family or young children at home...and some travel and can't access the internet all the time.    I do appreciate the freedom we have here and even though a few of my posts have gotten "locked down" .... I do read click the " unread posts since last visit" option to see what's going on.    Just because someone doesn't comment on a post doesn't mean that I have not read it... usually someone in the kitchen is yelling help whilst I read thru commentary ....   just my 2cents!
Report Spam   Logged
guest632
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:18:09 pm »

Don't worry too much about my particular case. I haven't given up; I've just been busy sorting through my backups. There's a real treat coming tomorrow.

But I agree that more posts and more discussion would be welcome. We are the experts, aren't we? Now's our chance to show it.

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:16:00 pm »

Well, so pleased to have drawn some thoughtful responses (& nice to hear now from 'Henrietta', of whom I had rather despaired) !
Is there a consensus ? No, probably not - though enough support for 'yes, it might be nice to get a bit more back after taking the trouble to post' to (maybe ?) encourage members to be aware of it.
Personally, I don't mind (and am probably guilty of !) You Tube posts that don't do much more than highlight a work. Much of my pleasure comes from 'new' discoveries, so if I've not heard of the composer/piece, I'll assuredly take a look if someone's made the effort to put it up for us. After which a quick 'thanks for the steer' isn't too much effort (and,sorry, not just by pressing a button !).

I'm so grateful for the chance to have encountered the handful of AMF forum users (+ one or two others from different sites) with whom I now share an E-mail exchange of ideas/pieces/steers. It's the contact with/learning from like-minded folk that makes this and other Internet forums so special for me - where on earth might I meet them otherwise ?! Certainly not in my local town/area, where after years of trying with music group/choirs etc. I don't have a single person really on my wavelength to spend time with, face to face or on-line.

So, if you were remotely interested to know why such an emotive title for the thread....it's because it means that much, to this particular soul at least !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 03:17:23 pm »

Clive... yes we have a diverse group here on this forum... from all around the world!!     Nice to have them here!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:38 pm »

I guess it is easy to check out posts and then pass them by, but sometimes I use the "Thank you" button, but I don't know if anyone ever knows I did. I have tried to contribute at times and have been ignored, and it doesn't feel good, but I know I am firmly not in the running to be an "expert" on anything, much less music. But I do appreciate the thoughtful responses, just don't always have a lot to add. So, perhaps reports of the death (or dying) of this forum will have been greatly exaggerated, thanks Mr. Twain. I even follow forums that might actually deserve to die because I am so obsessive-compulsive.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:13 am »

So, I've made three uploads of rare music this week, and included commentary about the pieces.  And also posted links to two complete little-known Belarusian operas.

Not a word posted by anyone about any of them.

Just saying.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:51:31 pm »

So, I've made three uploads of rare music this week, and included commentary about the pieces.  And also posted links to two complete little-known Belarusian operas.

Not a word posted by anyone about any of them.

Just saying.

thanks Christopher !!     I'll listen this weekend !   
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »

Mr. Christopher - am currently in (depressingly rainy !) Turkey, but have managed to log in (an adventure in itself nowadays), seen the entries in "downloads", & will definitely get to them (and say something - if only thanks) on my return !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest224
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »

I just posted quite a lot of music up (in the Belarusian music folder).  Let's see if (present company on this thread excluded) there is any comment about it at all.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I would take the reverse approach: I have a complete recording of the opera "Mindiya" by Georgian composer Taktakishvili, sent to me by the daughter of Mikhail Galkovsky who sang in the title role in the recording (which is from the 1960s) - so I asked BEFORE posting it up if people would be interested (in the Georgian music thread).  Absolutely no reply or comment.  So it's not posted.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 08:53:15 pm »

I just posted quite a lot of music up (in the Belarusian music folder).  Let's see if (present company on this thread excluded) there is any comment about it at all.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I would take the reverse approach: I have a complete recording of the opera "Mindiya" by Georgian composer Taktakishvili, so I asked BEFORE posting it up if people would be interested (in the Georgian music thread).  Absolutely no reply or comment.  So it's not posted.

I'll be interested!....  I have a lot of Taktakishvili on Melodiya... don't think I have that one.   Its surprising that none of his other piano concerti or symphonies have been released on CD.....???  :(    still a lot of Melodiya recordings that never see on CD
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: