The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:08:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?  (Read 4405 times)
guest377
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:52 am »

Well, as the member with by far the most posts on this forum (this one is No. 3674 and I don't think anybody else has reached 2000 ;D) I had better say something :).

First of all, in reference to the statistic above it is obviously not a competition to see who can contribute more posts than others. Some of my posts have been pretty lengthy (too lengthy perhaps!) and have consisted of lists of compositions or composers. Oftentimes these have had little comment from other members but I know (or at least certainly hope!) that that does not necessarily denote a lack of interest. And compiling such lists has given me pleasure and kept me mentally active-which, in retirement, is vitally important!!

It is true that the days when members were regularly posting links to music which they had uploaded seem to be past. I suspect that is because those who have been members for a number of years have provided all or most of the music which they had available and that there is actually not much else around to share with others.

I also agree and understand that there are many other calls on the time of members and that therefore the amount that they are able to contribute is limited and restricted by such pressures of time. Those who are retired-as am I-do have more time at their disposal.

This forum however remains one where I feel "at home", comfortable that our discourse is civilised and good-humoured. There are no ridiculous rules imposed by "over mighty" site administrators as in other forums one could mention (but I won't!!).

A number of years have passed since I visited the Good Music Guide forum so I have no idea how healthy it is. This forum had a more "intimate" feel to it and members have always appeared slightly more "friendly". I really have no interest in indulging in the "one-upmanship" and point scoring that can be a feature of some internet forums. I would prefer to share my enthusiasms rather than to denigrate music I do not understand or which does not appeal to my tastes and I certainly have no wish to criticise directly or indirectly the taste of others. For some vigorous debate and disagreement mean that a forum is more "alive" and interesting. I respect that point of view. Perhaps we do tend to agree with each other on here to an extent which might become "soporific" and if so that is a legitimate criticism but I can only say that I am now past the stage of taking part in debate which can degenerate into personal abuse.

....so, yes, there will be quiet periods on here but I do not believe that the forum is "dying" and it is up to us to ensure that it does not. I shall continue for as long as possible to contribute and do "my it". :)

Dundonnell, I just wanted to say "thanks" for all you have done for the forum.. I esp. enjoyed your "Complete Orchestral Works"  posts that you provided on various composers.... they were very helpful trying to locate the recordings.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: