The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:21:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this excellent forum 'dying' ?  (Read 4438 times)
guest128
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 01:11:24 am »

Few if any here (besides at least "Latvian") will remember what might have been THE flagship Classical Music Discussion Forum, active in the mid-to late 90's, and named Classical Insites" or simply "CI".  Far more freewheeling, imaginative, creative, and often genuinely insightful (if sometimes outrageously so) than anything since, it was the very antithesis of a venue like today's "Unsung Composers" and it's "representative man" Alan Howe with all their punctilious anality and barren scholasticism.  CI was much more an allowed "microcosm" of diverse characters, interests, and enthusiasms than the rigidly defined, rule obsessed, and generic music forums of today, - with often dozens of active threads and dozens of posts to each (not merely perfunctory-like either, but frequently substantially elaborated), - and I can think of participants here who would quickly have become suicidal had they been thrown into the maelstrom of CI and forced to justify and defend their views rather than retreat into mere devotional sentimentalism.  One thing it lacked, of course, was the uploading/downloading feature of sharing music so much a staple of today's groups, - and there was less to talk about because of that.  But as I remember it was a modus of both knowledgeable critical dialogue and sincere inquiry and at the same time a theatrical stage for genuinely distinctive characters to perform and express their individuality on.  Not entirely I should add (most activity in probably all Internet forums is transiently forgettable), - but enough of that ethos reigned at CI to be an enduringly remembered quality by me (I could probably name several dozen former "regulars" there that two decades later are more vivid to me than even some present relations, - without ever having physically met any of them).  AMF is a congenial and sometimes informative and stimulating (if rarely provocative) congregation with an irreplaceably invaluable music archive, but just without the dynamism and (inevitably) the sheer novelty and fascination of the old CI.  The reminiscences and nostalgia of an old guy, I suppose, but no one who was there could possibly disagree and say otherwise, - or am I over-idealizing things and revisioning the real history, Maris?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: