The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:46:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Geoffrey Bush on Lyrita

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geoffrey Bush on Lyrita  (Read 237 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:20 am »

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Feb/Bush_Savile_REAM1131.htm

Another splendid Lyrita enterprise - I have removed these broadcasts from the archive.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:09:21 pm »

Wow! I downloaded that one just in time!! ;D Ahem! But it means I can listen to it & decide whether I would want to buy this! Incidentally,I never see much discussion of Geoffrey Bush's music here or at the GMG;unless I've just missed the posts,somehow?! His symphonies and various other works have been available on cd,and maybe Lp,over the years. What do members here think of his music? Is he worth investigating? What would you recommend? (Is Dundonnell a fan?!) I can see some vocal & choral works listen in my old battered Penguin guide,as well.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:50:39 pm »

Personally, I like Geoffrey Bush's music when I happen to listen to it. But, I find I rarely have the inclination to seek it out. I can't say I dislike anything I've heard of his, but right now I can't recall a note of his music in my mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:55:33 pm »

I have taken delivery of the new Geoffrey Bush cd from Lyrita and am listening to the Concerto for Trumpet, Piano and Strings. I am not a particular fan of opera and will probably not get round to "Lord Arthur Savile's Crime" before I jet off to distant parts of the world.

The concerto is perfectly pleasant but confirms my general view that Bush was at his best in smaller scale, relatively light-hearted works. I don't think his music ever really demonstrates anything other than a pleasant and attractive competence. He does not, I think, rank among the top-flight of neglected British composers of his generation.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: