The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:41:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) Composer of the Week (6/2/17-10/2/17)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) Composer of the Week (6/2/17-10/2/17)  (Read 727 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:53:39 am »

Mackenzie is featured as Composer of the Week on Radio 3 from 6/2/17 to 10/2/17. Please could some kind soul record and upload the following non-commercial broadcasts:

Monday 6/2: Songs - The Bonny Banks o' Loch Lomond; April Weather (Kathryn Rudge, mezzo/ James Baillieu, piano)

Tuesday 7/2: Partsongs - It is this; The Day of Love; When Spring Begems the Dewy Scene (BBC Singers/ Martin Fitzpatrick)
Songs - The First Spring; When I am Dead (Kathryn Rudge, mezzo/ James Baillieu, piano)

Thursday 9/2: Songs - Shall I Compare Thee; Is the Moon Tired; A Motherless Soft Lambkin (Kathryn Rudge, mezzo/ James Baillieu, piano)

Friday 10/2: Song - The Sound of the Drum (Kathryn Rudge, mezzo/ James Baillieu, piano), Canadian Rhapsody, Op.67 (BBC CO/ John Andrews), Partsongs - My Soul Would Drink Those Echoes; Some Hae Meat and Canna Eat; O Thou in Whom We Live and Move (BBC Singers/ Martin Fitzpatrick)

Many thanks in advance.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »

Gosh, is this the first time Mackenzie has been Composer of the Week? There's so much I would love to hear of his, especially the operas and choral works, but the chances aren't great of those, and this selection is very welcome!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »

Gosh, is this the first time Mackenzie has been Composer of the Week?

Mackenzie has been featured before, but lumped in with those other "Scottish Romantics" MacCunn and McEwen - this is his first 'solo' outing. I am slightly disappointed that the only substantial 'new' recording is of the Canadian Rhapsody, Op.67 and the rest (apart from the songs and partsongs) is reliant upon commercial discs all of which I have: there is certainly room in the catalogue for more Mackenzie, especially choral works such as The Rose of Sharon (1884), The Dream of Jubal (1889), The Sun-God's Return (1910) and orchestral pieces including the First Scottish Rhapsody (1879), the Suite London Day-by-Day (1902) and Tam o'Shanter (1911). Still, such exposure on Radio 3 can only do his cause good.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimfin
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:46:20 am »

Yes, I'd love to hear those works. I read a study of his music a few years ago (I think it was mentioned on here or UC) and it was so frustrating not to be able to hear it. Mackenzie strikes me as potentially just as interesting as Parry and Stanford, and probably more so than Cowen, who may have been a bit more limited. The Violin Concerto is one of my favourite pieces in that genre, up there with Dyson and Cliffe.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:20:50 pm »

The last time Mackenzie featured on Radio 3 Composer of the week it was John Purser's 'Scottish Romantics' - Mackenzie, Hamish MacCunn and William Wallace (not McEwen).  This was, if I recall correctly, in 1997 (possibly 1996).  It was just prior to Hyperion releasing the disc of William Wallace's 'Symphonic Poems' and prior the Hyperion releases of the Violin Concerto, Pibroch Suite and Scottish Concerto (all 3 released in 1998 on 2 CDs).  Hyperion had, however, released the disc of orchestral music and 'Britannia Overture'. The 1997 (1996) 'Composer of the Week' gave us the Scottish Concerto with Steven Osborne and Sir Alexander Gibson (Scottish Chamber Orchestra???) from the Edinburgh Festival and three extracts from 'The Rose Of Sharon' (one of which is being broadcast later this week).  Disappointing that only the 'Canadian Rhapsody' is new this time (apart from smaller scale works).  It is, I think, a potpourri of traditional music including the French song 'alouette'.  I am looking forward to hearing it but my expectations are limited.  I'd love to hear 'The Rose Of Sharon', the Op.68 'Suite for Violin and Orchestra' and the complete 'Six Pieces for Violin and Piano' (of which two were available on a Bank of Scotland CD!!!).  From my perspective any Mackenzie is welcome.  Hopefully, Chandos in their British Tone Poem series may give us Mackenzie's 'London Day by Day' Suite assuming that qualifies as a tone poem.

BBC iPlayer has each of the broadcasts available for 29 days.

Today's broadcast is available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ch1js

In 2015 I was able to access BBC iPlayer from the Philippines to record Chisholm's Violin Concerto. So presumably it can be accessed from outside the UK.

I will be recording what is not commercially available.  I will try to upload them.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »

Today's works - not previously available as per Albion's post above - now recorded.  I will upload them at the end of the week after all other mentioned works have been recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:11:00 am »

I will upload them at the end of the week after all other mentioned works have been recorded.

Great, thanks. Please could you also record the two piano pieces on Friday's programme, Revery and Ariel from the Op.88 set Varying Moods (Hiroaki Takenouchi)?

Report Spam   Logged

patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:12:15 am »

I will upload them at the end of the week after all other mentioned works have been recorded.

Great, thanks. Please could you also record the two piano pieces on Friday's programme, Revery and Ariel from the Op.88 set Varying Moods (Hiroaki Takenouchi)?

I had already earmarked the piano pieces for recording as I wasn't aware of previous recordings.  So I will do.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »

I have compiled a music folder A.C. Mackenzie - Composer of the Week (BBC Radio 3 - 6/10 February 2017) – which comprises 19 (principally (15) vocal music) files of non-commercially available music plus a word and pdf document with details of the recordings. 

As the Radio programme(s) from which this compilation has been made is/are still available online for about 25 to 29 days I do not consider it appropriate to make the MediaFire link publicly available just yet.  If you would like the link then please send me a personal message and I will send it to you by personal message.

Please note, the excerpt of ‘The Lord is my Shepherd’ from ‘The Rose of Sharon’ is only an excerpt of an excerpt broadcast originally in John Purser’s ‘Scottish Romantics’ (Mackenzie, MacCunn and Wallace) as Composer(s) of the Week in 1996.  The complete excerpt is available in the British and Irish Music catalogue of Albion.  There is also an excerpt of the Britannia Overture conducted by Mackenzie.  As it was recorded in 1925 the sound quality is poor.

The folder was put together using iTunes.  Consequently, if you upload them to iTunes they should appear as files, with pictures of Mackenzie, composer name, file names, album names, artists’ names and other details.  This will also be the case for certain other digitally based music players,

Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:10:34 am »

Thank you very much!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: