The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:45:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) Composer of the Week (6/2/17-10/2/17)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) Composer of the Week (6/2/17-10/2/17)  (Read 726 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:20:50 pm »

The last time Mackenzie featured on Radio 3 Composer of the week it was John Purser's 'Scottish Romantics' - Mackenzie, Hamish MacCunn and William Wallace (not McEwen).  This was, if I recall correctly, in 1997 (possibly 1996).  It was just prior to Hyperion releasing the disc of William Wallace's 'Symphonic Poems' and prior the Hyperion releases of the Violin Concerto, Pibroch Suite and Scottish Concerto (all 3 released in 1998 on 2 CDs).  Hyperion had, however, released the disc of orchestral music and 'Britannia Overture'. The 1997 (1996) 'Composer of the Week' gave us the Scottish Concerto with Steven Osborne and Sir Alexander Gibson (Scottish Chamber Orchestra???) from the Edinburgh Festival and three extracts from 'The Rose Of Sharon' (one of which is being broadcast later this week).  Disappointing that only the 'Canadian Rhapsody' is new this time (apart from smaller scale works).  It is, I think, a potpourri of traditional music including the French song 'alouette'.  I am looking forward to hearing it but my expectations are limited.  I'd love to hear 'The Rose Of Sharon', the Op.68 'Suite for Violin and Orchestra' and the complete 'Six Pieces for Violin and Piano' (of which two were available on a Bank of Scotland CD!!!).  From my perspective any Mackenzie is welcome.  Hopefully, Chandos in their British Tone Poem series may give us Mackenzie's 'London Day by Day' Suite assuming that qualifies as a tone poem.

BBC iPlayer has each of the broadcasts available for 29 days.

Today's broadcast is available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ch1js

In 2015 I was able to access BBC iPlayer from the Philippines to record Chisholm's Violin Concerto. So presumably it can be accessed from outside the UK.

I will be recording what is not commercially available.  I will try to upload them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: