The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:53:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

NEW CPOs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW CPOs  (Read 979 times)
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2017, 10:42:32 am »

for everyone who likes shabby music:  

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/julius-roentgen-symphonien-vol-2/hnum/2727217

this will be the last release of the series  THANKS GOODNESS !

much more interesting:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/alexandre-tansman-bric-a-brac/hnum/8455664

everybody who knows the older KOCH release, will be delighted to have an alternativ reading of this fantastic music !!!
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »

I think that's fairly unjust to Röntgen. And I'd like to hear your motivation. I don't think it's the last recording in this series - what's your source? - there're still many fine orchestral works to go. I admit, it's no earth shattering music; but that kind of music is already many times recorded.
Considering the Bric-a-Brac, I agree. That's good music, and there's already a fine recording as you say. No need for me to duplicate.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 03:36:08 pm »

I would agree that Rontgen's music is not "earth-shattering" but I dutifully always give it a chance. And I too would be intrigued to know the evidence for the assertion that there will be no more Rontgen from CPO.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:23:42 pm »

I like Roentgen very much, especially his "Aus Faust".
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:37:39 pm »

So do I - and I very much DISLIKE Expi's rudeness about music he doesn't rate. Courtesy costs so little.
Report Spam   Logged
Balapoel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 12:53:21 am »

In fact, Julius Rontgen is one of my favorite composers - his work is of consistently high quality, lyrical, thoughtful, through-composed, but not sentimental or shallow. His symphonies are wonderfully varied and consistently beautiful.
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:36 pm »

So do I - and I very much DISLIKE Expi's rudeness about music he doesn't rate. Courtesy costs so little.
Well put. I only find Roentgen moderately interesting, but why rain on other people's parade? Just extremely rude.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 03:19:41 pm »

Given my past track-record of enthusing about the music of a number of (in particular) British, American and Scandinavian composers it would ill-behove me to be so gratutitously rude about the music of a composer whose music does not really excite me (and, by implication, those who are more enthusiastic).

I buy the CPO Rontgen releases partly (I must admit) because I like to collect complete symphonic series and partly because I feel that in doing so I am helping to encourage the record company concerned to continue with similar series of music by those composers who do have a greater appeal to me. I do not dislike Rontgen's music. If I did then I certainly would not buy it-I do not have a bottomless purse ;D

For the record and by my calculations (which may be out of date given the research going on into his music), of the Rontgen Symphonies:

Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 are lost

Symphonies Nos. 3, 4 ("Symphonietta humoristica"), 5 ("Der Schnitter Tod"), 6 ("Rijck God, wie sal ic claghen"), 8 ("Gjendines Koelok” ), 9 ("De Bitonale"), 10a ("Walzersymphonie"), 15, 18, 19 ("Symphony on B.A.C.H."), and 21 are, or will soon be, available on Cpo cds.

That leaves Nos. 7 ("Edinburgh"), 10b ("Spielt auf!"), 11 ("Wirbelsymphony”), 12 ("In Babylone"), 13 ("Alle eendjes zwemmen in het water”), 14 ("Winterthur"), 16 ("Storm/Tempest Symphony"), 17 ("Wilhelm Meister Symphony"), 20 ("Prooemion"), 22, 23 and 24.

In other words CPO is approaching the half way stage of the series but there are still twelve symphonies to go :)

Since they obviously give a lot of people pleasure I hope that the company will continue to record them (just as I hope they record more Henk Badings ;D).
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »

Actually No. 19 has also been recorded by CPO. It is on the same disk as nos. 5 & 6. CPO also promised the complete extant concerti so there are at least 2 more disks due there, if they fulfil that promise: piano concertos 3, 6 & 7, and concertos for Violin, Viola and Cello (1922), Violin and Cello (1927) and String Quartet (1930).
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 11:08:19 pm »

Also, I find Tansman rather uninspired, and generally much less attractive than Roentgen.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 11:47:12 pm »

Actually No. 19 has also been recorded by CPO. It is on the same disk as nos. 5 & 6. CPO also promised the complete extant concerti so there are at least 2 more disks due there, if they fulfil that promise. Piano concertos 3, 6 & 7, and concertos for Violin, Viola and Cello (1922), Violin and Cello (1927) and String Quartet (1930).

Of course No.19 has been recorded. It is indeed coupled with Nos. 5 and 6 and the cd is sitting on my shelves ::)

Thank you for your correction :)
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 04:21:51 pm »

Actually No. 19 has also been recorded by CPO. It is on the same disk as nos. 5 & 6. CPO also promised the complete extant concerti so there are at least 2 more disks due there, if they fulfil that promise: piano concertos 3, 6 & 7, and concertos for Violin, Viola and Cello (1922), Violin and Cello (1927) and String Quartet (1930).

Two more discs of shabby music.  How will Mr Expi ever cope with that?
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:02:23 pm »

Two more discs of shabby music.  How will Mr Expi ever cope with that?
:D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: