The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:27:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Variations on a theme by Paganini

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variations on a theme by Paganini  (Read 324 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »

I recall, many years ago, Anthony Hopkins describing a conversation he had with an unspecified composer, which went something like this:

Hopkins: Are you working on anything at the moment?
Composer: Yes, I'm writing a set of variations on a theme by Paganini.
Hopkins: Oh, which one?
Composer: The usual one, I'm afraid.

It always IS that caprice, but as has been pointed out before, there's good reason for this. The theme may be highly decorated, but it has a very distinct harmonic "skeleton" to it, which can be boiled down to just nine notes. So it's possible to strip off Paganini's decorations and replace them with your own, and the relations between the variation and the original is easy to perceive.

It seems to me that a modern equivalent, if it were but realised, is the Japanese song Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya! otherwise known as the Nyan Cat Song ("nya" is Japanese for "meow"). Very twiddly, difficult to sing, but again with a clear skeleton to it. Here it is in a piano reduction:

I have heard it arranged for orchestra, and done in a pseudo-baroque manner, but very unimaginatively done. It awaits someone with talent to exploit the musical possibilities of this theme.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:38 am »

So, are you of the opinion that Rachmaninoff's Paganini variations is really quite simplistic and thus musically inconsequential? Or are you saying that some composer could be the next Rachmaninoff with Variations on a Cat Song?

:D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: