The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:35:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Onno van Rijen's Shostakovich & Other Soviet Composers Page

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onno van Rijen's Shostakovich & Other Soviet Composers Page  (Read 2228 times)
guest264
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:25:56 pm »

I see that this website has been terminated. This site was an invaluable source of information on Soviet composers. I do hope it can be hosted elsewhere:

http://home.online.nl/ovar/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:10 pm »

I see that this website has been terminated. This site was an invaluable source of information on Soviet composers. I do hope it can be hosted elsewhere:

http://home.online.nl/ovar/

Why not here? Or is that technically impossible?
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »

it could be hosted here... all the data about composers....and the links to the music??  sounds like a great idea.  Perhaps someone should invite Onno to this forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:30:20 am »

When I'm well informed, the main reason that mr. Onno van Rijen closed his site, was that the provider ended their business of 'free sites'.
Maybe he also ended it because of the work that has to be done to maintain a site of this order for many years.

I am very grateful to mr. Van Rijen for all the information I found on his site, as well as the information I asked from him several times. The removing of the site is a great loss.

I don't know if all the information from the site is gone totally, or that he kept his stuff on his own computer. There is technically a possibility to open a new site, or even to add that site's information to a site like our forum as a kind of archive. But maintaining cost a lot of time and effort.

Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:40 am »

RUSSIAN, SOVIET& POST-SOVIET SYMPHONIES

Different Website and owner with same info
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »

The information is not the same. This is a comprehensive list of all recordings. Onno's site had in addition to recordings the complete work list of each composer with dates.
An archive version is here:
http://archive.is/mHjLQ
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »

The information is not the same. This is a comprehensive list of all recordings. Onno's site had in addition to recordings the complete work list of each composer with dates.

Yes I was also a member of Onno's group.  Sorry that he had to shut it down.  what was unique was the recordings that were posted there.   Also, his updates on new recordings, etc.
I didn't know Onno personally, but I had the impression he was getting up there in age.  However, it would be possible to migrate most if not all the downloads here and info about the composers here also.
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 09:23:12 pm »

Yes I was also a member of Onno's group.  Sorry that he had to shut it down.  what was unique was the recordings that were posted there.   Also, his updates on new recordings, etc.
I didn't know Onno personally, but I had the impression he was getting up there in age.  However, it would be possible to migrate most if not all the downloads here and info about the composers here also.

Is there an efficient way to move it?  Lots of good info there.  If the website is regular HTML it is possible to convert to UBB which is what is used here for images and links. 
Report Spam   Logged
BigEdLB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:48 am »

Actually - A list of links to Soviet Symphonies could be established to go adjunct to van Rijen's page for quickest access...  I did Shostakovich as an example.  Of course any performance could be linked.    But this might work as a starting point to a more comprehensive list with links.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:38:22 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »

Please oblige by stating for each of these fifteen recordings its source, its date, the territory in which it was created, and under which conditions.

Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 02:42:47 am »

As is stated on our home page, this forum is devoted to little-known composers, long-forgotten compositions, rare non-copyright recordings, and discussions of the arts.

The man Shostocovitch does not really qualify.

Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 06:23:25 am »

As is stated on our home page, this forum is devoted to little-known composers, long-forgotten compositions, rare non-copyright recordings, and discussions of the arts.

The man Shostocovitch does not really qualify.
He qualifies eminently, which is more than can be said for your mis-spelling of his name.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 08:17:57 pm »

Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 05:41:36 am »

the quote "all the arts" WOULD in fact qualify any discussion of Shostakovich, especially under the title "about music in general."
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 11:43:25 am »

the quote "all the arts" WOULD in fact qualify any discussion of Shostakovich, especially under the title "about music in general."
Agreed.
The most interesting of mr. van Rijen's pages was the info on so many composers. I still really miss it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: