The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:59:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening WITH?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening WITH?  (Read 963 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »

Just curious - speakers or headphones? I've always tended to play CDs through hi-fi speakers, but lately I have been using a rather good pair of headphones, with a very long extension cable to reach from the CD player to my armchair. What's your favoured method?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 09:04:42 am »

Ha - limited choice there !
 Headphones when my lady's in the house...but when the cat's out (or away at relatives for Christmas!) the little mouse can plug in the speakers & fire up the volume. No worse than the neighbours' grunge/garage, or whatever the latest cacophony styles itself.

Not too much wrong with headphones, actually - a halfway decent pair will give you a fair approximation of the sound...& you do get to float away in your own tiny universe; no bad thing in this mainly depressing world !

Happy listening (& Christmas !) to all.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:42 am »

Most of the time listening to my audio system speakers; connected to the computer. From late in the evening listening with headphones on (AKG cordless).
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »

usually nice expensive headphones... sometimes in the car on the way to work. 
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:24:41 pm »

Depends on who else can hear it, some of the modern dissonant stuff that I like makes them yell at me, so the ear buds go in, maybe some day I will get some nice earphones, meanwhile, if I don't feel like earbuds I just shut my door and listen as loud as I want to whatever I want!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:40 am »

Since I am fortunate enough to live in a very large top floor flat (apartment if you are American ;D) in a old stone building erected in 1803 I can listen to music using my ancient but splendid Solavox speakers which stand on top of a marble surround fireplace-which gives the sound an extra resonance.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:07 pm »

Sennheiser cordless headphones. Sometimes I pick up a neighbouring transmitter,though! I think it's an old lady (or man?). They seem to have Sky tv on,all around the clock!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »

Since I am fortunate enough to live in a very large top floor flat (apartment if you are American ;D) in a old stone building erected in 1803 I can listen to music using my ancient but splendid Solavox speakers which stand on top of a marble surround fireplace-which gives the sound an extra resonance.
Sounds posh!! ;D I think mine are on the floor?! Wood effect lino!! :( ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »

A cheap, reliable portable cd player (Groove, one of the few makes that are still available and give a reasonable volume via an old-fashioned wheel) and a pair of Sony ear-phones...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »

Actually,at the moment I'm listening to a musicassette on a cassette deck. One of the last ones on sale. I decided to buy one while I still had the chance. At other times I listen to cds on my Denon mini hi-fi via the previously mentioned cordless headphones.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »

Sounds posh!! ;D I think mine are on the floor?! Wood effect lino!! :( ;D

Well, it would be if my roof didn't leak!
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:35:03 am »

I use over-ear, open-back headphones (Sennheiser HD598).   To get similar sound with amplifier and speakers would be much more expensive.  And it means I can listen while my wife is reading.  For background music I just plug them into my computer; to listen properly I use a decent mp3-player, which drives the headphones without the need for an additional amplifier.
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:22 am »

I use large floor standing speakers,Dali Ikon 7's.Electronics are NAD components.
Fairly isolated here,so I can crank it up!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »

I will say that I tried the new BOSE headphones with noise control and was very impressed.  The noise cancellation technology is amazing.   If you listen to music on your daily commute, its well worth the $$.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:53 am »

I will say that I tried the new BOSE headphones with noise control and was very impressed.  The noise cancellation technology is amazing.   If you listen to music on your daily commute, its well worth the $$.

I am using Audio-Technica headphones with noise cancellation, which are possibly better than the Bose (when I researched it). But when listening at home, I prefer the sound with the noise cancellation off.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: