The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:40:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Intended CD Purchases for 2017 and Favourite CD Purchases of 2016

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intended CD Purchases for 2017 and Favourite CD Purchases of 2016  (Read 2315 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »

Based on available information of new recordings what are your intended purchases of new recordings to be (or possibly to be) released in 2017 and what have been your favourite new recordings released in 2016?

For what it is worth mine are as follows:

Coke Piano Concertos 3, 4 & (part of) 5 [Hyperion’s RPC series] (recorded 2016)
Chisholm Violin Concerto, Dance Suite, Preludes [Hyperion] (recorded 2016)
Rózsa Ben-Hur - The Complete Film Score (including, hopefully, previously unrecorded/unused music) [Tadlow] (to be recorded in 2017)

Possible 2017 releases

Pizzetti Symphony and Harp Concerto [Naxos] (recorded in Turin 2015)
Dyson Choral Symphony and St. Paul’s Voyage to Melita [Naxos] (to be recorded in 2017?)

No.1 by a margin - Rózsa The Thief of Bagdad - The Complete Film Score [Prometheus]
No.2 -  Rózsa Five Graves to Cairo and other Paramount 1940’s film scores [Intrada]
Thomson Four Saints in Three Acts [Boston Modern]
Chisholm Simoon [Delphian]
Clarke and others Viola Sonata orchestrated etc [Dutton]

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:31:07 am by patmos.beje » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »

So far, for me:

Chandos: Art Songs by Sir Arthur Sullivan (2 cds)

Dutton: The Light of the World, oratorio by Sullivan (3 cds) and The Mountebanks, comic opera by Alfred Cellier and W.S. Gilbert (2 cds)

EM Records: Frederic Cowen - Symphony No.5; Percy Sherwood - Double Concerto

plus whatever Lyrita may schedule ...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest224
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:40:40 pm »

Definitely the Sacheverell Coke
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:18:08 pm »

Maximilian Steimberg and Hubert Clifford from dutton surely
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:10 am »

The Naxos release of Havergal Brian Symphonies (8, 21 and 26) which was recorded last September
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:51:20 am »

Which Steinberg will be recorded?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 02:08:48 am »

Which Steinberg will be recorded?

My understanding-from a previous post-is that it will be the Symphony No.4 "Turksib".

I would agree with several of the projected releases mentioned above, particularly the Havergal Brian and the Ildebrando Pizzetti from Naxos. I would add however the January release by Lyrita of the Daniel Jones Symphonies Nos. 1 and 10 (with further symphonies by this composer promised) and whatever else comes from the marvellous treasure trove of the Richard Itter Broadcast Collection from Lyrita. I also hope that CPO will get round to issuing more of the symphonies of Johann Nepomuk David.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 02:12:15 pm »

I would like to hear extracts from the Sherwood and Cowen before making a decision and Lyrita and Dutton purchases will, for me, depend on what they are and, possibly, reviews of their CDs which stimulate my interest.  It seems to me that Chandos are fairly tight-lipped.  I presume the Sullivan songs information came from the Arthur Sullivan Society.

So far, it is the Pizzetti Symphony that I am most enthusiastic about.  Hearing it in a modern recording should prove far more revelatory than the
1940 recording of (or contemporaneous with) the Japanese premiere.  The recorded performance seems to have been broadcast by an RAI station in September but I missed it and am not sure if I could have accessed it anyway.  I had hoped the Naxos CD would be a 2016 release.  It is by no means a definite 2017 release as the last Naxos series release, of which I assume the Pizzetti will be part, was recorded 3 years prior to its release date. 

Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »

I just hope cpo will release many/some of the 'promised' releases I've seen in their respective catalogues over the last few years: Pfitzner's Rose von Liebesgarten; symphonies by Glass, David, Kallstenius, Andriessen, Röntgen, Pijper, Bargiel etc. etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:43 pm »

I just hope cpo will release many/some of the 'promised' releases I've seen in their respective catalogues over the last few years: Pfitzner's Rose von Liebesgarten; symphonies by Glass, David, Kallstenius, Andriessen, Röntgen, Pijper, Bargiel etc. etc.

Hear, hear!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 10:20:47 am »

Hear, hear!!
Another volume in the "Louis Glass" symphony cycle,please! We got more Holbrooke in the end! (And hopefully,Vol 3 won't be long!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 12:44:47 pm »

Daniel Jones symphonies 1 & 10 Lyrita
Havergal Brian Symphonies 8,21 & 26 Naxos
The Sacheverell Coke Piano concertos when they are released (Hyperion?)
Holbrooke Vol 3 Cpo
The Pizzetti Symphony from Naxos sounds tempting. I like some of his music....particularly his Canti della stagione alta. I kept badgering Chandos to record it. No one seems to like it except me! :( ;D The Concerto de l’estate sounds rather nice in the old 60's recording (on Decca Eloquence). I didn't think of it much when I heard the Naxos recording.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 06:26:28 am »

On the NCA label (now deceased?) a series called ‘The Sound of Weimar’ gave us 5 CD’s with the tone poems by Franz Liszt; a 6th volume was issued on cpo and a 7th – with Schubert transcriptions – on Alpha records. I really hope this interesting series will be continued. There’s still some unknown Liszt to enjoy! Orchester Wiener Akademie (on period instruments and an orchestra not larger than around 40 players) under Martin Haselböck!
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 05:22:27 pm »

Daniel Jones symphonies 1 & 10 Lyrita
Havergal Brian Symphonies 8,21 & 26 Naxos
The Sacheverell Coke Piano concertos when they are released (Hyperion?)
Holbrooke Vol 3 Cpo
The Pizzetti Symphony from Naxos sounds tempting. I like some of his music....particularly his Canti della stagione alta. I kept badgering Chandos to record it. No one seems to like it except me! :( ;D The Concerto de l’estate sounds rather nice in the old 60's recording (on Decca Eloquence). I didn't think of it much when I heard the Naxos recording.

In relation to the Coke being on Hyperion, Simon Callaghan's web page says 'In 2017 he will release his debut concerto recording for Hyperion’s Romantic Piano Concerto series: the first recordings of Roger Sacheverell Coke’s Concerti with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and Martyn Brabbins.'  [see: http://simoncallaghan.com/about/]. There is also a Facebook post by the BBCSSO on the recording sessions [see: https://www.facebook.com/bbcsso/photos/pb.51642124238.-2207520000.1469525205./10154754458999239/?type=3].  If I recall correctly more information is available if one signs into Facebook.

I quite like Pizzetti's Canti della stagione alta.  The Marco Polo CD was my introduction to Pizzetti in the 1990s followed by the Hyperion CD of his orchestral music.  There is a more recent recording of Canti della stagione alta which the Gramophone reviewer did not appreciate [see: http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/pizzetti-piano-concerto-canti-della-stagione-alta-rondo-veneziano].  I much prefer the Cello Concerto and Violin Concerto (there being relatively recent recordings of each - 2014 and 2009 respectively) and especially certain of his Operas.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:32:20 am by patmos.beje » Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 08:26:32 pm »

Yes,I remember enjoying that review! Perhaps Chandos agreed?! ;D It was about that time that I gave up on Gramophone. Just for balance here's a much more positive review.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=226972

Albeit,of a reissue of the original Marco Polo recording. I like it. There is some lovely shimmering orchestration and the melodies reminds me of those old Italian movies. There is some bombast in the second movement,admittedly;where Pizzetti seems to be struggling with what to do with his material.But I do like the way he brings back his "big tune" in the finale! Incidentally,I should point out that I don't actually think this is the best Pizzetti I've ever heard. I just thought I'd give it a positive plug for a change!

I'm trying to think what my favourite purchases were for 2016. There were so many. A veritable biblical flood of them,through my letterbox,at times! ::)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: