The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:54:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Busoni

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busoni  (Read 680 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:26 pm »

No one complains about the length of time audience members are expected to sit through Mahler's symphonies, of which eight out of ten occupy more than one hour - or indeed Bruckner's, of which nos. 2 - 5 and 7 - 9 do likewise.

I can relate to that - since we went up to SPb last week to see & hear the Mariinsky do FRAU OHNE SCHATTEN, uncut.  They announced 4.5 hours for it, including intervals, which seemed unrealistically tight...  so we booked the 01:58 am overnight sleeper train back home to Moscow, as the midnight express looked dicey.  In reality the curtain came down at 23:50,  after an 18:30 start.  With my head stuck in the technicalities of turning the set-changes round in time, this still seemed rather lax...  but wiser counsel came from my colleague on the trip.  "She's knackered, after the Act III finale music - it's tougher than the end of Valkyrie, and now she has to sing non-stop through Act IV.  She has to get a break."   Sadly I feel Strauss is the guilty party here - unrealistic writing on his part, considering he was an opera conductor himself.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: