The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:31:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grace Williams

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Williams  (Read 444 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:26 am »

Others may know,but I didn't! I just realised that Grace Williams has her own dedicated website. You can even listen to her music there. It looks very good;although I haven't had much time to look at it properly yet. Hope this is the right place to post this. Is Grace Williams that obscure? Not here in Wales. But not as well known or performed as she should be,IMHO (as they say!).
Karl Jenkins is probably the most famous composer here judging by all the exposure his compositions get on Welsh tv & radio! :(

http://gracewilliamscompo.wixsite.com/officialwebsite (Hope this works. It's up there,anyway!)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

shamus
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:13:15 pm »

Thanks, Cilgwyn, I had as many of Grace Williams LPs as I could find back in the '80s and have returned to her music many times. I was excited by her symphonies,Penillion and her concertos, the Symphony Concertante was played by Huw Watkins some time in the last couple of years and broadcast on BBC, so definitely think she is right up there with her Welsh composer brethren and sisters. Will check out the website.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »

I listened to this cd the other night & really enjoyed it. Lovely music. I think this might even be my favourite Grace Williams cd. Unfortunately it's deleted,although you can download it. Sellers seem to ask ridiculous prices for this one. I got a cheap s/h copy in the end. It took some time,though! Well.worth the wait imo!
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:04:54 am »

Thanks Clive: I'm very partial to a bit of Grace Williams. First got the Lyrita Second Symphony when I was probably about 17 or so. I'll check out the website.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:06:45 am »

Ooh, the first symphony, 'Symphonic Impressions'!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:58:51 am »

http://gracewilliamscompo.wixsite.com/officialwebsite (Hope this works. It's up there,anyway!)
Ah, thanks - several pieces to 'acquire' there !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 01:21:57 pm »

I couldn't find anything there that I did not have off-air recordings of already......but it is an excellent site and the catalogues brought several works I had not heard of to my attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 10:35:39 am »

Grace Williams has an excellent YouTube channel dedicated to her music, including non-commercially-released BBC broadcasts such as the opera The Parlour (1961) and the Missa Cambrensis (1971):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1a7xRGePashxn7sAUZFGA/videos

It is under the aegis of the composer's "society" (https://gracemarywilliams.wixsite.com/officialwebsite).

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: