The Art-Music Forum
November 18, 2019, 08:30:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 5781 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 08, 2018, 11:14:30 am »

Playing here,now. Robert Simpson's Second symphony. I've been listening to this cd (and it is the right one this time,I have checked! Grin) since last night. I seem to be hooked on "Nielsen without the tunes",and wondering how long I can resist the urge to collect the remaining cd's in the series. I like the way he builds up his ideas. There is an unfolding logic. None of that feeling of aimlessness you get in some lesser symphonies. I love the quieter moments,too. They really curl into the corners of your mind and hold your attention (well,they do mine!). They never seem to be just put there,because it's a symphony,and you put quiet bits there! To be honest,I can't really understand why I wasn't won over by these symphonies the first time around? I really like what I'm hearing. Oh,and I don't find them particularly cold,either. In fact,I feel a warmth to their Beethovenian,fiery spirit! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: