The Art-Music Forum
November 20, 2017, 05:28:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 4379 times)
shamus
Level 4

Times thanked: 64

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2017, 09:17:02 pm »

Ah Respighi, wonderful Respighi, for a visceral and highly pleasurable experience one could watch the above noted performance of "Belkis, Queen of Sheba" on YouTube if inspired to go back to Respighi, as I will soon due, thanks Kyjo for the "jog"!
Today listening to streaming Finnish radio broadcast of Tchaikovsky and a piece by Sebastian Hilli, whom I must research some more.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 69

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2017, 11:58:04 pm »

Handel's ALCINA at the Bolshoi Theatre  (production on loan from Aix-en-Provence festival, but with a different line-up of international soloists + 2-3 Bolshoi performers).

Musically very together and credible (cond Andrea Marcon, who followed the production from Aix), and sung quite deftly by Heather Engerbretson (Alcina), David Hansen (5* as Ruggiero), Katerina Bradic (Bradamante) and Anna Aglatova (Morgana).

Great to see Moscow can now muster its own baroque players (on baroque oboes, theorboes, recorders), without having to fly them in all the time.  Production elegant but rather uninvolved. Having a 'transformation machine' in the attic (to turn Alcina's various victims into wolves, bears, trees etc) was quite good the first time we saw it...  but the fifth time round was really pushing it a bit.  The palace doesn't fall down when Alcina's powers desert her (despite being rigged with dynamite by Oronte).
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 39

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 24, 2017, 03:44:32 pm »

Just got this in the post today "Russian Composers around 1900"  I'm particularly interested in the Lysenko Overture from Taras Bulba.. Its on the MDG label  with the Beethoven Orchester Bonn.... a live performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-STEFAN-BEETHOVEN-ORCHESTER-BLUMIER/dp/B0090PX5YY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1508856245&sr=8-12&keywords=Beethoven+Orchester+Bonn
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 43

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2017, 07:13:10 pm »

There was some discussion recently of Sacheverell Coke's piano concertos - I have discovered his 24 preludes have been recorded -

https://www.somm-recordings.com/recording/roger-sacheverell-coke-24-preludes-15-variations-finale/

They are well worth hearing - somewhere between Rachmaninoff and Scriabin.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2017, 09:47:32 pm »

York Bowen Piano Concertos 1-4 and Symphonies 1 and 2
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 72

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:19 pm »

Today I found the composer Jorge E. López.
There quite a few of works on YT.

His symphonies 3 & 4 are very listenable. I'll let me surprise by his other works
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2017, 05:45:46 am »

Bernstein: Symphony no. 2 The Age of Anxiety (Thibaudet/Alsop/Baltimore SO). Not sure why I had ignored this work for so long. It gets off to a bit of slow start, but Part II contains some of Bernstein's finest music. That ending is glorious!
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 47

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2017, 08:30:32 pm »

Bernstein: Symphony no. 2 The Age of Anxiety (Thibaudet/Alsop/Baltimore SO). Not sure why I had ignored this work for so long. It gets off to a bit of slow start, but Part II contains some of Bernstein's finest music. That ending is glorious!
Played the start/end of this yesterday to a group of elderly classical lovers...who were not expecting to enjoy it; they did !

Since I'm here - haven't 'bothered' to post a 'concert' for some while...on the probably accurate assumption the nobody looks at it.
 Tough - it's All Hallows' Eve in England, and the saints are in conflict with the devils (mostly the ones scaring the daylights out of you by hammering on the door demanding a treat...or else); thus there are no lights (except for this small laptop) on in our property, so some 'saintly' music might help the night to pass swiftly & painlessly.

Olivier Messiaen - Hymne au Saint Sacrement
Steven Reineke - The Witch & the Saint
Isadora Zebeljan - The Horses of Saint Mark
Gian Francesco Malipiero - Saint Francis of Assisi
Aita Donostia - Les Trois Miracles de Sainte Cecile
Askold Murov - Symphony no. 6 'Offerings to the Russian Holy Saints

Peace and safety to all.

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
kyjo
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 04, 2017, 05:34:12 am »

Tonight, Palmgren's Piano Concerto no. 2 The River (from a new Alba CD) and Tubin's Symphony no. 6 (Jarvi/BIS). The former is a wonderfully atmospheric and inspiriting score which takes Rachmaninoff as a starting point, but Palmgren has an individual voice. The latter is thunderous, percussive work which is notable for its RVW-esque use of a malevolent, sleazy solo saxophone. I find the hushed ending to be quite moving.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 04, 2017, 02:59:44 pm »

Strange new stuff on SoundCloud, composers Henry Ajax, Chris Hung, Voro García, Fabio Cachao---How's that for an unapologetic obsessive compulsive new music seeker?
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 72

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 05, 2017, 02:44:37 pm »

Strange new stuff on SoundCloud, composers Henry Ajax, Chris Hung, Voro García, Fabio Cachao---How's that for an unapologetic obsessive compulsive new music seeker?

Well, I have a look now. All names you show are new to me.
 Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 05, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »

Giving the Coke concertos another chance, don't know how many times I will need to do that before (or if) I add them to my long list of wonderful listens, but I echo remarks on the other topic that Coke did as much as he could with his life problems and I honor him for that.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 71

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2017, 01:13:20 am »

Old fashioned but amazing works
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: