The Art-Music Forum
June 28, 2017, 06:30:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 3713 times)
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 20

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2017, 09:59:22 am »

Just testing: can't-tell-you.

(I typed the same word, and had the same - very curious - outcome.   Huh
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2017, 01:23:07 pm »

This is very weird. In my last post the word i_p_h_o_n_e (without the underscores) was replaced by "can't-tell-you". What gives?

apparently the admin has auto changed the word eye _p_h_o_ne  to i can't tell you....i don't know why..??  who knows... its silly... we are all big boys here.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2017, 03:11:15 pm »

todays menu is Natanael Berg's Symphonies 1 & 2 Piano Concerto and Gustaf Bengtsson Symphony no 1.  some more Swedes.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
Level 4

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »

Enjoying Montague Phillips symphony, Cecile Chaminade's Callirhoe, et al from Afternoons on BBC this week. Don't have an I-can't-tell-you, so couldn't-tell-you-about-it-anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2017, 07:17:24 pm »

I discovered that a while back, when I responded to something from my i_p_h_o_n_e....... it would auto change to:  ---->>>>>can't-tell-you      maybe the administrator has a Samsung or LG and hates Apple  Huh?!?
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:15 pm »

stumbled on a used CD of interest in a used bookstore:   Stankovich's Symphony of Pastorals/Chamber Symphony... on the Consonance label with the Ukrainian State SO performing and Fedor Glushchenko conducting.. and some Berwald Symphonies with DNRSO performing Dausgaard conducting. 

some times these used CDs are 50 cents USD...wonder how they stay in business.....
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2017, 09:45:10 pm »

Enjoying some lesser-known Respighi, the premiere recording of the Concerto a Cinque (1933) including:
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 43

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2017, 02:15:34 pm »

Respighi - wonderful composer ! Didn't have the Concerto a Cinque...rectified that, thanks !

May stick to Italy for tonight's music - the 3 Ps...Perosi, Petrassi, Pizzetti; + 1 more..Procaccini, then some Ghedini & Rendine, plus to finish the marvellous Malipiero.
Sure there's a bottle of verdicchio to go with that !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »

I just ordered a "bootleg" copy of Shteinberg's Symphony no 5  Symphony Rhapsody by the St. Petersburg SO (rehearsal performance).  Looks like it is 42 min long.. divided into 4 movements  1. Lento  2. Lento non troppo 3. Moderato, alla marcia, 4. Lento   

Notes says Symphony-Rhapsody based on Uzbek tunes-folk songs and by K. Djabbarov and S. Kalanov.     

Hoping to share it, however, since its coming from St. Petersburg.. it may take a while.

Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »

Respighi - wonderful composer ! Didn't have the Concerto a Cinque...rectified that, thanks
Agree about Respighi, especially the 'later, lesser-known'. Own a couple of recordings of the late (1933) Concerto a Cinque, but I think I like this one - the earliest, also the first one I heard - most. I don't think it's a masterpiece, but thoroughly enjoyable it certainly is. A bit like the even more strictly 'neo-classical' Harpsichord concerto in Manuel de Falla's oeuvre or like Samuel Barber's Capricorn Concerto (or even Stravinsky's Ebony Concerto for that matter).
Report Spam   Logged

cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 43

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:10 pm »

Surprising - to me at least - how much Respighi produced beyond the 'obvious'...& it's all lovely stuff.
 See where you're going with Barber Capricorn & De Falla harpsichord - but not a huge fan of the 'Ebony', I'm afraid. Maybe the YT commentator who suggests Stravinsky didn't fully understand the jazz idiom is onto something; it does seem a bit of a mess to me.
Dunno - I'm no expert !

Love the harpsichord, so a few pieces involving that tonight sounds promising:
Dutilleux -Les Citations for harpsichord, oboe, double bass & percussion
Aperghis - Le Reste du Temps for cello, harpsichord & ensemble
Henze - Apollo & Hyazinthus for soprano, harpsichord & ensemble
Tabakova - Suite in Old Style for viola, harpsichord & strings
McCabe - Concertante for harpsichord & chamber orchestra
Szymanski - Partita 3 for amplified harpsichord & orchestra

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2017, 01:48:11 am »

todays serving is a nice 3 CD set from Naxos called Norway in Music.   All the hits from Norway...Grieg Tveitt  Sinding   Hanssen  Halvorsen Svendsen Bull   ...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: