The Art-Music Forum
September 25, 2017, 07:44:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 4005 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 45

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2017, 08:43:18 am »

And also have been listening to Maltan music, found on YouTube channel by Brian Schembri, conductor.https://www.youtube.com/user/feopemt.

Ah, good 'steer', thanks, Mr. Shamus !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
Level 4

Times thanked: 62

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »

Belarussian composers from Classical-Onlinehttp://classic-online.ru/, have to sign in, go to "country" and many countries listed with pictures of composers where available. Translates easily with google, though doesn't always make sense!
Abelovich Sym no. 3, Aladov Sinfonietta, Wagner pf cto, ctino with folk orchestra, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 31

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2017, 09:55:57 pm »

Belarussian composers from Classical-Onlinehttp://classic-online.ru/, have to sign in, go to "country" and many countries listed with pictures of composers where available. Translates easily with google, though doesn't always make sense!
Abelovich Sym no. 3, Aladov Sinfonietta, Wagner pf cto, ctino with folk orchestra, etc.

good selection there Shamus.... wish we had more to pick from under Belarus... he has several there including lots of Melodiya.. I remember a few years ago I sent a contrib and got access without the wait time, so I could download several selections.  Wish we had Abelovich's Sym 1 and Aladov's Symphonies 1-9.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 41

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2017, 09:18:37 am »

Mr. Gauk - was wondering what to put on for a rainy evening in England: will 'go Croatian', & start with Sulek 2 with your 'notes'.
Then Davor Bobic - Oboe Concerto, Milko Kelemen - 'Drammatico' for Cello & orchestra....& as so often something sacred/sung to finish: Dragan Filipovic 'Dona Eis Requiem'.

For Croatian music, don't neglect Ivo Maček (1914-2002). He wrote mostly chamber and piano works, but they are worth a listen.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:02 pm »

For Croatian music, don't neglect Ivo Maček (1914-2002). He wrote mostly chamber and piano works, but they are worth a listen.

Thanks, Mr. Gauk. Not a name I have any examples from, but afraid I'm not clever enough to appreciate much chamber/solo work...need a sweeping canvas that this small brain can get to grips with !

Saving another post, going to tack tonight's listening on here. Ladies...followed by gentlemen tonight:
Ylva Q. Arkvik - Vox Pacis
Tera De Marez Oyens - Accordion Concerto
Joanna Bruzdowicz - Violin Concerto 'The Cry of the Phoenix'
Walter Ross - Trombone Concerto no. 1
Roger Calmel - Requiem a la Memoire de Marie Antoinette
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »

todays offering is the new CD of Eino Tamberg Symphony no 4  and then the Ballet-Symphony Op 10 that originally appeared on early Melodiya  (D mono series).  These are recent CD releases from the Estonian Music Info Center.  Sometimes I have to listen to Tamberg and Silvestrov to appreciate music!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
Level 4

Times thanked: 62

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2017, 03:27:48 am »

Decided it had been long enough since I had listened to the piano concertos of Lalo, Massenet, Pierne, Alkan and JaŽll and plan to move on to the St. Saens (all 5) and whomever else I can find from that era, any suggestions? I am always so satisfied by these revisitations, after all the browsing for the new and "unknown" (to me at least), the beauty of these works makes me (almost) give up on the pursuit of the yet-unheard holy grail. Maybe I have already found it and just don't know it. It would be interesting to know which piano concertos stay with other people on the forum long after the first hearing. I think of somewhat less than mainstream Pfitzner, Stenhammar No. 2, Henselt, Rheinberger, Goetz, for myself and of course I could go on and on. Anyway, it's all good, as the young folks say.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2017, 04:15:22 am »

Making my way thru a stack of Swedish composers ... starting with Tor Aulin  and Frida Andree    (listened to all the Neeme Jarvi Atterbergs)..
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:09 am »

Decided it had been long enough since I had listened to the piano concertos of Lalo, Massenet, Pierne, Alkan and JaŽll and plan to move on to the St. Saens (all 5) and whomever else I can find from that era, any suggestions? I am always so satisfied by these revisitations, after all the browsing for the new and "unknown" (to me at least), the beauty of these works makes me (almost) give up on the pursuit of the yet-unheard holy grail. Maybe I have already found it and just don't know it. It would be interesting to know which piano concertos stay with other people on the forum long after the first hearing. I think of somewhat less than mainstream Pfitzner, Stenhammar No. 2, Henselt, Rheinberger, Goetz, for myself and of course I could go on and on. Anyway, it's all good, as the young folks say.

An interesting and very little-known piano concerto of that generation is the Tcherepnin concerto - not by Alexander, whose five PCs I much admire, especially the second, but by his father Nikolai. It's in one movement, like the Rimsky-Korsakov one, and dominated by a four-note motif announced at the opening by the orchestra. I snipped off that one bar and use it as a ringtone for incoming text messages on my can't-tell-you.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:17 pm »

An interesting and very little-known piano concerto of that generation is the Tcherepnin concerto - not by Alexander, whose five PCs I much admire, especially the second, but by his father Nikolai. It's in one movement, like the Rimsky-Korsakov one, and dominated by a four-note motif announced at the opening by the orchestra. I snipped off that one bar and use it as a ringtone for incoming text messages on my can't-tell-you.
   oh what a great idea!  think I will do the same for my eye telephone .    Yes, Nikolai, student of Rimsky... wrote some great piano works.   I believe there is only one recording of that concerto on CD  ??       https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Piano-Concertos-Alexi-Golovin/dp/B00008FATQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496848859&sr=8-2&keywords=nikolai+tcherepnin+piano+concerto
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2017, 03:20:38 pm »

Well, searching for some inspiration for an evening's listening, so decided to have a concert by 'Nikolai'...or equivalent.

Nikolai Tchaikin - Bayan Concerto
Nicholas Maw - Ghost Dances
Nico Muhly - Cello Concerto
Nicolas Flagello - Dante's Farewell
Nicolas Bacri - Concerto Luminoso 'L'Ete'
Nikolai Sidelnikov - Cantata 'Sacred Conversations'
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dschfan
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2017, 04:42:05 pm »

Weigl symphony no.3 so far.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2017, 06:23:42 pm »

also on the CD player is the new Naxos release of Pizzetti... Symphony and Harp Concerto...!!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 6

Times thanked: 69

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2017, 11:08:51 pm »

IMHO nice listening
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2017, 08:18:43 am »

This is very weird. In my last post the word i_p_h_o_n_e (without the underscores) was replaced by "can't-tell-you". What gives?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: