The Art-Music Forum
February 24, 2020, 10:53:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 7681 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:35 pm »

That's all I found so far. Sad

Ah, and here I was thinking you'd a treasure trove tucked away!

Never mind - listening tonight to a couple of today's downloads:
Djuro Zivkovic - The Mystical Sacrifice
Franghiz Ali-Zadeh - The New Passion

These are commissions by the Concertgebouw orchestra, given in Holland around Easter time this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »

all week I've been listening to primarily the Estonian Female Song Society 2CD, a CD called New Estonian Choral Music (2012-2014) and a rather obscure CD called "Gratias"  produced by the Estonian TV Girls Choir.  Then a little Riisager Orchestral music.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:24 pm »

all week I've been listening to primarily the Estonian Female Song Society 2CD, a CD called New Estonian Choral Music (2012-2014) and a rather obscure CD called "Gratias"  produced by the Estonian TV Girls Choir.  Then a little Riisager Orchestral music.

interesting that Riisager was born at Port Kunda  in Estonia.... a small town in Estonia (Kunda)  primarily people of German extraction...but so was King George I of England...came to England to rule after Queen Anne died  and refused to speak English..
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2017, 06:27:30 am »

I enjoyed the broadcast on French radio of a concert featuring 4 works by Nicolas Bacri. If interested they do have re-plays. https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/portrait-de-nicolas-bacri-33595
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »

I enjoyed the broadcast on French radio of a concert featuring 4 works by Nicolas Bacri. If interested they do have re-plays. https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/portrait-de-nicolas-bacri-33595

Ah, terrific, thanks, Mr. Shamus ! Have a reasonable spread of Bacri's work, but don't think I've any of these -  recording session is required !

While doing that- having been to a 'discussion' today on classical/jazz 'fusion', a few hours listening along those lines:
Crt Sojar Voglar - Concerto for alto & tenor saxophones & orchestra
Harold Farberman - Concerto for jazz drummer & orchestra
Emile Deltour - Concerto in jazz for harp & orchestra
Jorge Calandrelli - Concerto for jazz clarinet & orchestra
Jaromir Hnilicka - Missa Jazz

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2017, 04:10:57 pm »

Trying to play all recorded - six out of seven - symphonies by Camargo Guarnieri. Has anyone ever heard of a recording of his Seventh from 1985 (that isn't even listed at Wikipedia)?

So far, we have exquisite recordings with the São Paulo SO conducted for BIS by John Neschling of symphonies No. 1 (1944), 2 "Uirapuru" (1945), 3 (1952), 4 "Brasília" (1963), 5 (1977), 6 (1981):

Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2017, 06:17:11 pm »

'Has anyone ever heard of a recording of his Seventh from 1985 (that isn't even listed at Wikipedia)?'

Ah, yes - Mr. Dundonnell's bemoaning something similar elsewhere on the Forum- how do these substantial works of major composers just fall off the radar ?

Sorry - I've no answer...so I'm going to celebrate May(Labour) Day by listening to some recent Russian (& sometime Russian) 'finds':

Jan Freidlin - Symphony no. 5 'Nostalgias'
Alexander Levkovich - Clarinet Concerto
Victoria Poleva - 'Pieta' for violin & orchestra
Boris Golovin - The Butterfly of Zhuanzi
Vasif Adigezalov - Violin Concerto

Have my doubts if anyone ever reads through these 'concerts', or has any remotest interest....but if perhaps someone does, & wonders about a piece of music/composer, I'm always contactable by PM.

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:41 pm »

I have been listening repeatedly to the 5th symphony of Rued Langaard (both versions). There are two things I would like to say about this work (and it would be a boring post if I didn't say something).

1. The composer would hate me saying this, but parts of it, especially early on, remind me very much of Nielsen.

2. I think this piece gives the lie to the oft-made remark that Langaard wrote one extraordinary work (Music of the Spheres) and that the rest of his output was pretty humdrum. I think it is clear that this is from the same hand as wrote that masterpiece. Particularly the first version, which is the shorter of the two, and not the one that appears on the Da Capo CD. I am struck by the final section, excised from the second version. Over a repeated four-note sighing motif in the winds, a solo violin executes a mad, frenetic cadenza before the whole thing tails off into silence. The effect is memorable, totally weird, and even a little disturbing. I don't think I ever heard anything quite like it.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »

OK...  I've got the Dacapo box set... I'll listen to it again... yes parts of his symphonies are brilliant... others not so much..  The 2nd is brilliant... I'll give a listen again to the 5th.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2017, 10:52:17 am »

I have been listening repeatedly to the 5th symphony of Rued Langaard (both versions). There are two things I would like to say about this work (and it would be a boring post if I didn't say something).

1. The composer would hate me saying this, but parts of it, especially early on, remind me very much of Nielsen.

2. I think this piece gives the lie to the oft-made remark that Langaard wrote one extraordinary work (Music of the Spheres) and that the rest of his output was pretty humdrum. I think it is clear that this is from the same hand as wrote that masterpiece. Particularly the first version, which is the shorter of the two, and not the one that appears on the Da Capo CD. I am struck by the final section, excised from the second version. Over a repeated four-note sighing motif in the winds, a solo violin executes a mad, frenetic cadenza before the whole thing tails off into silence. The effect is memorable, totally weird, and even a little disturbing. I don't think I ever heard anything quite like it.
I think his opera Antikrist is pretty extraordinary! I've certainly never heard anything else quite like it.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »

Seems like people always like to point how immature first symphonies are, and they likely must be so described (myself caring not), but listening to Nielsen's and Sibelius' first symphonies is still a treat for me and will probably lead to another Scandinavian binge in the next day or so. Then of course I couldn't resist Stenhammar's Piano Concerto No. 2, one of my all time favorites, so will move on to more of him in this impending binge. I also ran across a contemporary composer new to me, Hubert Hoche, whose music has me happy, too, has a website with downloadable pieces. Best wishes, Jim
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »

And, by the way, Clive, I find your "concerts" fascinating and often use them as a starting point, so don't despair, you are appreciated! Lets not let this interesting thread go away....
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Shamus ! Will now go and research Hubert Hoche - a 'new' name for sure....& anyone with decent downloads on his website gets my vote !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2017, 03:00:00 pm »

Well - Hubert Hoche quite a success; so....this evening, a German concert of recent 'discoveries' (remember they're only 'recent' to me!) to celebrate !

Stefan Wolpe - Piece in 3 parts for piano & 16 instruments
Heinz Winbeck - Lenau-Fantasien
Dimitri Terzakis - Seelenbilder (OK, so he was born Greek; apparently a German citizen since 1985!)
Rolf Riehm- Wer sind diese Kinder
Paul Graener - Flute Concerto

And - because I hate to be without my choral/sacred piece: Felix Draeseke - Great Mass
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »

I've got 2 CDs of Neeme Jarvi's Atterberg cycle and the new CD of Tonu Korvits Moorland Elegies for today.  I'll let you know what I think of the Korvits CD.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: