The Art-Music Forum
February 24, 2020, 11:35:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 7682 times)
shamus
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:40 am »

I found Arthur Sullivan's Te Deum on YouTube and enjoyed it so much.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »

today's menu is Berwald Symhonies 1-4 with Thomas Dausgaard directing.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:02 pm »

I found Arthur Sullivan's Te Deum on YouTube and enjoyed it so much.
Do agree - he should be remembered for more than operettas (brilliant though they were).

Since we're highlighting women composers elsewhere, thought I'd have an all ladies concert ! Anna Clyne - Prince of Clouds, Vivian Fung - Piano Concerto 'Dreamscapes', Gloria Coates- Symphony no. 4 'Chiaroscuro', Unsuk Chin - 'Su' for sheng & orchestra, Heather Schmidt - double concerto for viola, horn & orchestra 'Light and Shadow', Grace Williams - The Dancers for soloist, choir & orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:47 pm »

Bravo to Clive, sounds like a concert to pursue, if I can find them all. So much to discover in that half of the human race's sound creation, and still a lot to find from the male half, too. Immortality, where are you, I need time!!!
Listening to more music from YouTube Yuri Mashin--Юрий Машин--if you want to search him, more results seem to come up if one types the name in Cyrillic, enjoyable music also, a big tone poem, Te Deum and Viola Concerto.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:43 pm »

Listening to more music from YouTube Yuri Mashin--Юрий Машин--if you want to search him, more results seem to come up if one types the name in Cyrillic, enjoyable music also, a big tone poem, Te Deum and Viola Concerto.

Ah, nice spot, Mr. Shamus- well worth investigating !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2017, 03:31:41 pm »

on the menu today is the new Hyperion release #70 in the Romantic Piano Concerto series... Dorothy Howell/Amy Beach/ Cecile Chaminade... with the BBC Scottish SO. Rebecca Miller conducting.    All women and all wonderful.    Remember that men to the left and women to the right, because women are always right!!
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2017, 02:02:00 am »

I'm having a Danish day today... Louis Glass symphonies...just heard Sym #2 of Hakon Borresen.  Glass symphonies are interesting... wonder if CPO will continue with their Glass series... the Danacord series are not the best mixed recording.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »

Well now...as a small change from 'Russian' matters, as posted recently...at length...nearby, listening, as suggested by another wonderful forum (Concert Archive) to Ginastera's Oratorio 'Turbae ad Passionem Gregorianam', + a symphony by Harold Schiffman (discovered by exploring the North/South Recordings on Naxos Music Library).
So many excellent on-line venues to steer you in directions you might otherwise never conceive of !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:14 pm »

Todays offerings are Niels W. Gade complete symphonies..  on BIS label.   Some happy music for Friday!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2017, 07:31:05 pm »

P2 Live, on demand from Swedish radio from yesterday evening (USA), concert dedicated to Albert Schnelzer with Stravinsky's Firebird. Also violin concerto by Sofia Levkovskaya.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »

P2 Live, on demand from Swedish radio from yesterday evening (USA), concert dedicated to Albert Schnelzer with Stravinsky's Firebird. Also violin concerto by Sofia Levkovskaya.

Well, couldn't find the concert - but decided to listen to a group under 'L' in my downloads with Levkovskaya as the central piece. So:
Yuri Levitin - Oboe Concerto
Vladimir Levitt - Kaddish for cello & strings
L'kaya - VC
Alexandre Levy - Suite Brasiliera
Ernst Levy - Symphony no. 15

A not untypical group, that I've downloaded at one time or another over the last 10+ years, & quite possibly never listened to till tonight. Thanks for the excuse, Mr. Shamus !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »

Well now...as a small change from 'Russian' matters, as posted recently...at length...nearby, listening, as suggested by another wonderful forum (Concert Archive) to Ginastera's Oratorio 'Turbae ad Passionem Gregorianam', + a symphony by Harold Schiffman (discovered by exploring the North/South Recordings on Naxos Music Library). So many excellent on-line venues to steer you in directions you might otherwise never conceive of !
I wasn't aware of any recording of Ginastera's Turbae ad Passionem Gregorianam per coro e orchestra op. 43 (1974) but, alarmed alerted  Cheesy by your post, I found one on Youtube:
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »

Mr. Christo - glad you found something;hoping perhaps you meant 'alerted' rather than 'alarmed', though. My posts aren't...usually...that worrying !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:14 pm »

Thank you Christo for the link to Ginastera, and following that link I found even more Ginastera there.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2017, 12:31:06 am »

Luis Naon http://luisnaon.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: