The Art-Music Forum
February 24, 2020, 11:06:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 7681 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:23 pm »

todays it is Langgaard's Sym 12-14... hmmmm  they sound familiar..
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:37 pm »

Hendrik Andriessen, Symphony No. 3 (1946) - Andriessen probably my favourite Dutch composer:
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:15 pm »

Now listening to a work by the english (born bulgarian) composer Dobrinka Tabakova:
Immortal Shakespeare, for chorus & small orchestra.

If you're not aware of her bulgarian start, you would be certain that you listen to a very english work.

Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »

I picked up the new CD of Atterberg Vol 2 with Neeme Jarvi conducting....  seems somewhat faster tempo's  as compared to the CPO release.
After that I picked a used copy of Eduard Erdmann Sym no 3 on CPO....   new condition CD at just $4 bucks...what a deal!   I love used bookstores...
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »

Now listening to a work by the english (born bulgarian) composer Dobrinka Tabakova:
Immortal Shakespeare, for chorus & small orchestra.

If you're not aware of her bulgarian start, you would be certain that you listen to a very english work.

Well, that got me searching...didn't know it was on YT. Thanks, Mr. Elroel !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:28 pm »

I picked up the new CD of Atterberg Vol 2 with Neeme Jarvi conducting....  seems somewhat faster tempo's  as compared to the CPO release.
After that I picked a used copy of Eduard Erdmann Sym no 3 on CPO....   new condition CD at just $4 bucks...what a deal!   I love used bookstores...

Just put the brand new Zara Levina Piano Concerto 1 and 2 in the CD player....if you remember, the Piano Concerto no 2 was a poor recording on the Russian Disc label as Nina Makarova: Symphony in D minor / Zara Levina: Piano Concerto 2..

this new recording on the Capricio label is sharp and crisp.  The piano performance is wonderful.  Maria Lettberg is on piano with the Rundfunk-Sinfonie Orchester Berlin.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:48 am »

Hendrik Andriessen, Symphony No. 3 (1946) - Andriessen probably my favourite Dutch composer:

I was once at a concert where I sat directly behind the composer Louis Andriessen. I had such a temptation to lean forward, tap him on the shoulder, and tell him how much I enjoyed his father's music.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2017, 04:04:25 pm »

on todays plate is Symphonic Works 1 by HENDRIK ANDRIESSEN.   Looks like I need to get Vol 2 and vol 3 of the CPO cycle.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

I was once at a concert where I sat directly behind the composer Louis Andriessen. I had such a temptation to lean forward, tap him on the shoulder, and tell him how much I enjoyed his father's music.

Grin Cheesy I sat directly behind him about ten years ago during a re-enactment in Utrecht of his father's 'The Fourteen [Canonical] Hours', whilst he was sitting next to the -then- Roman Catholic Archbishop (even Cardinal) and heard him accept the latters congratulations with his father's music.  Cheesy Cheesy Wink (Hendrik was an staunch Catholic BTW).

And I personally grabbed him with his neck (literally, I blush to confess) twenty years ago, after a concert, in the pub next to the Amsterdam Concertgebouw in order to introduce him to Pēteris Vasks (whose Third SQ had just been premiered there by the Kronos Quartet).

But to do Louis a little more justice: here he is (after 22 seconds) in the audience, clearly moved by a superb RCO performance under Reinbert de Leeuw of his father's fine Ricercare:

Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2017, 10:58:19 pm »

Very nice - so I should have acted! I was not sure how he would have taken it.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:25 pm »

very good !!
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 08:40:04 am »

I found numerous orchestral pieces by Charles Wuorinen on YouTube, had never really explored his music before, not too interested in the electronic things but very much enjoyed these instrumental pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »

On today's menu is some modern Swedish music:  Blomdahl's Three Symphonies on BIS, and Rosenberg's Sym no 6 and 3...then I've got the new Tuur CD "Peregrinus Ecstaticus" from Ondine with the Finnish Radio Sym Orchestra. 
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2017, 04:19:53 pm »

then I've got the new Tuur CD "Peregrinus Ecstaticus" from Ondine with the Finnish Radio Sym Orchestra. 

Ah, now that's worth some research !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2017, 11:24:35 pm »

Michael Nyman's 'Musique à grande vitesse' was the last work I listened to today. It's a hypnotic work; the moment you're beginning to think about quitting the work, the orchestra changes and you're (or at least I was) captured again.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: