The Art-Music Forum
February 24, 2020, 10:43:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 7681 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:33 pm »

Atterberg's Symphony no 4   Tubin's Symphony #4  the "Lyrical" 
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:28 pm »

Today's platter is Langgaard's Music of the Spheres with the DNSO and Choirs..... with Thomas Dausgaard in charge.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2017, 03:12:15 pm »

Doesn't get much better than that !

Have you (or others) tried Harmony of the Spheres by Joep Franssens ? 

Recommend it (& the Dutch Composers Channel the link comes from )!
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »

Doesn't get much better than that !

Have you (or others) tried Harmony of the Spheres by Joep Franssens ? 

Yes I have, mr. Clive and I agree it is a wonderful work, that even gives more when you listen it for 2nd or 3td time. I got it, I believe, two years ago from a radio performance.

You should also listen to his Concerto Hypnagotique, a piano cto and to 'Rising Phenix', a work for chorus and orch.

These two were recently on Youtube
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2017, 11:23:14 pm »

Love it too.

Met Joep Franssens only once, about 15 years ago in Rotterdam, when he attended a Peteris Vasks Festival and he and Vasks met there too. Memories.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2017, 03:18:29 pm »

You should also listen to his Concerto Hypnagotique, a piano cto and to 'Rising Phenix', a work for chorus and orch.

These two were recently on Youtube

Now...I'm easily caught out, but : Concerto Hypnagogique I can find, but by Joey Roukens.
 Rising Phoenix doesn't ring a bell, which most modern choir works do nowadays, & I can't find it on YT at all !
Will be very happy to be wrong about both !

Glad I'm not the only one with a liking for Franssens - can add Vasks (& Roukens) to that too, + sooooo many others. We've truly a blessed 'hobby' here, if only we can keep abreast of things !

***Update - found Phenix - it's Roukens again !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »

I listened yesterday and last night to Rachmaninoff's 3 symphonies, 4 piano concertos and even the arrangement of Sym no. 2 for pf and orch. It was odd that I found symphony No. 3 to seem almost new to me, wondered how I had not listened to it enough when I first found classical music (40+ years ago) to hear familiar themes as I did all the rest. My favorites (this go around) were Symphony No. 1 and Pf Cto No. 4. I have a few pieces that make me start waving my arms and almost crying and Sym no. 1 does that to me with the first mvt. Always was mad at Glazunov for destroying the first performance (and Cui for reviewing it hellishly) in a way that sent Sergei to a hypnotist/counselor, sad that he never got to hear a good performance of it before he died. Also sad that the 4th piano concerto which he himself felt good about never gained the popularity for him that his No. 2 and No. 3 did. Glad he went to the hypnotist counselor, though! Really good performance of pf cto No. 4 on youtube by Botinis and Yuri Favorin.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2017, 11:23:53 pm »

Mr. Clive,

My fault, of course the ones I mentioned are by Joey Roukens. Another composer who has my attention
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »

Holmboe's Vol 4 on the Dacapo label Complete Chamber Concertos.... by the way I read about the mass of manuscripts kept by Paul von Klenau's granddaughter that were recently turned over by her Estate to the Danish National Library,  which included several symphonic pieces.   Plans were to publish the scores and perhaps record these either by Danacord or Dacapo.   
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:44 pm »

I listened yesterday and last night to Rachmaninoff's 3 symphonies, 4 piano concertos and even the arrangement of Sym no. 2 for pf and orch. It was odd that I found symphony No. 3 to seem almost new to me, wondered how I had not listened to it enough when I first found classical music (40+ years ago) to hear familiar themes as I did all the rest. My favorites (this go around) were Symphony No. 1 and Pf Cto No. 4. I have a few pieces that make me start waving my arms and almost crying and Sym no. 1 does that to me with the first mvt. Always was mad at Glazunov for destroying the first performance (and Cui for reviewing it hellishly) in a way that sent Sergei to a hypnotist/counselor, sad that he never got to hear a good performance of it before he died. Also sad that the 4th piano concerto which he himself felt good about never gained the popularity for him that his No. 2 and No. 3 did. Glad he went to the hypnotist counselor, though! Really good performance of pf cto No. 4 on youtube by Botinis and Yuri Favorin.

which version of recordings did you listen to???  I like Neeme Jarvi's
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »

I discovered today the bizarrely named Melcher Melchers, born Henrik Svensson. I thought I knew my Swedish late-romantic composers, but I never heard of this one before. Definitely deserves to be heard. First and second piano concertos are available on YT, plus a symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

Yes.. I have the CD of the piano concerto and other misc works  .. its on Amazon.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2017, 06:13:21 pm »

Niels Gade.. wonderful Danish composer.... Symphonies... then onto J.P.E. Hartmann symphonies 1-2, another great composer!   on MarcoPolo label
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2017, 11:41:19 pm »

Yes.. I have the CD of the piano concerto and other misc works  .. its on Amazon.

This raises a question. I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if the YT recordings I was listening to were ripped from a commercial CD. One at least was from a Swedish Radio broadcast (the announcer's voice comes on at the end), but this might have been a broadcast of a CD.

Do we have a policy here not to link to YT items known to be ripped from CDs?
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »

This raises a question. I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if the YT recordings I was listening to were ripped from a commercial CD. One at least was from a Swedish Radio broadcast (the announcer's voice comes on at the end), but this might have been a broadcast of a CD.

Do we have a policy here not to link to YT items known to be ripped from CDs?

no I think that is YTs responsibility... I do see a lot of YT's that say "content removed due to copyright"  or "due to owner's request"
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: