The Art-Music Forum
December 09, 2019, 01:48:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 6612 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »

Perhaps Dutton will release that broadcast recording. Probably its only chance in the current climate.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2017, 06:16:47 pm »

I thought I would do a Schnittke symphony marathon yesterday evening, I haven't listened to them for a long time, but remembered having been impressed, but the ones I liked must have been the later ones, didn't care for 1 or 2 very much, will check out the rest tonight. Need to check Hoddinott again, too it sounds like! I like this thread, lots of good ideas. Having collected too much like I have for so many years, things fall by the side somehow, but at least I can re-listen to a lot of stuff! Thanks to all who share your listening with me.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »

Mind you,I haven't even got the Lyrita cd of 2,3 & 5 yet,so I can't really preach at the cd labels. This is the first Hoddinott composition that's really "clicked" with me (as they say). I have got the Chandos recording of the Sixth on a muisicassette. I'll have to get that out now. I liked that,but I actually liked this one better! Not so keen on the David Wynne;but I'm going to be nice about it because he's Welsh!
Of course that means I have to be nice about Karl Jenkins!! Huh Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »

Hoddinott's 6th is my favourite amongst his symphonies-it has an atmosphere of mystery I find entrancing.

....and on the same Chandos disc is "Lanterne des Morts"-which has a similarly magical rich atmosphere.

As a busy Professor at University College, Cardiff Hoddinott composed mainly at night and this gives much of his music a nocturnal quality which some find oppressing or "grey". I will concede that he probably wrote too much and that there can be a certain sameness to some of his shorter works. But then "nocturnalism" is a description often applied to Bartolk's middle-period music. I happen to like that sound quality in both composers.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2017, 05:08:19 am »

today  it is Adolphe Samuel's Symphony no 6 with the Royal Flemish Philharmonic... and Kurt Atterdberg's Violin Concerto!
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2017, 03:43:02 pm »

Bloch's Symphony in C # minor with the LSO (Naxos) and Volkmar Andreae's Symphony in C major and Piano Concerto in D (Guild label)
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2017, 03:41:19 pm »

I picked up a CD from a used bookseller last week called Icelandic Orchestral Music with the Iceland SO on the Chandos label... for a grand total of 49cents USD, less than the cost of cup of coffee.   Never know what you will stumble on at these used bookstores.  (compsers represented on CD: Isolfson, Bjornsson, Leifs and Runolfsson)  seldom heard.

Next is Pierre Maurice Orchestral Music from the Sterling CD label...
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 08:53:36 pm »

I'm very fond of the Runolfsson piece, On Crossroads on that CD, though the only other piece of his that I've heard is the Symphony Esja.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 4

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »

I too like the Runolfsson suite very much. I've been a bit disappointed of the Esja Symphony, but perhaps this is owing to the bad recording quality of my tape. The piece was broadcast in the mid 1990 by Euroclassic Notturno. I've been waiting for another airing since, in vain. Do you have a better recording, Alex?
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »

Today I start listening to the symphonies of Roger Sessions.
His nine symphonies were written during half a century. The first in 1927, last from 1974, but revised in 1978.

There were big changes in Sessions composing. Until 1930 his works were neoclassical; he then changed to
a very complex harmonious, principly still tonal.
From 1951 he wrote mostly serial music.
Some musicologists find that these changes were very gradual.
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:20 pm »

I too like the Runolfsson suite very much. I've been a bit disappointed of the Esja Symphony, but perhaps this is owing to the bad recording quality of my tape. The piece was broadcast in the mid 1990 by Euroclassic Notturno. I've been waiting for another airing since, in vain. Do you have a better recording, Alex?
My recording was from a broadcast on the BBC of an Iceland SO performance in the early hours. Afraid the quality of my tape isn't great either. 
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2017, 09:13:24 am »

Managed to find the Runolfsson, which was very pleasant, so for further far Northern listening going for Leifs: Groa's Spell & Iceland Cantata (+ the very lengthy Requiem!), + Nordal: Choralis, Adagio, Epitafion, Mid-Winter & Rapture.
Thanks for the Icelandic 'steer'.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2017, 07:27:42 pm »

I've shifted today to the 2CD set of JPE Hartmann  (1805-1900)  his Valkyrien - The Valkyrie Op62 - complete ballet on the CPO label.   
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:11 pm »

I've shifted today to the 2CD set of JPE Hartmann  (1805-1900)  his Valkyrien - The Valkyrie Op62 - complete ballet on the CPO label.   

Ooooh - did not know about that.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2017, 07:21:19 am »

Mozart Piano Concertos 17-27
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: