The Art-Music Forum
February 24, 2020, 11:10:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 7681 times)
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:09 pm »

'Live' listening this evening - Henri du Mont Motets & Charpentier Te Deum at the Valletta (Malta) International Baroque Festival....& more tomorrow, with Bach cantatas and VCs.
Can't beat the live experience, or some of Valletta's centuries-old churches as venues !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 52

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:45 pm »

today's menu is Borresen's Symphonies 1-3 and some Dvorak symphonies .. mixed bag today.
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2017, 02:25:27 pm »

Alexander Lokshin symphonies (No. 6 was never performed), another victim of Zhdanov, wrote film music to survive.

Um...just looked up what I think I have of Lokshin....& it appears to include Symphony 6, which in my version starts with a bass(?) soloist.
Dunno...you tell me - is that right ?

Lokshin Symphony no 6 is on YouTube - and it does indeed start with a bass soloist.  It's on a channel called "Aleksandr Lokshin".  I'm listening to it now, and it's exciting stuff.
If you want to see the lyric, expand the first comment, then paste the Russian text into Google Translate.

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »

Mozart operas for the last two days! I prefer the older recordings for the singers they used to have. I just finished listening to Beecham's recording of Die entführung aus dem serail. I've got the 'fat box' edition with the bloke with the turban (or whatever it is?) on his head,by the way. I'm going to put on Karajan's emi recording of Cosi fan tutte next,in glorious mono next!! One for Elisabeth Schwarzkopf fans. I'll put on the stereo Bohm on,then. Also with Schwarzkopf. Apparently there are some people who don't enjoy her singing?!! Grin I went through a couple of Die zauberflöte recordings the other day. I particularly enjoyed the Beecham,Böhm and Solti recordings.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:41 pm »

Alexander Lokshin symphonies (No. 6 was never performed), another victim of Zhdanov, wrote film music to survive.

Um...just looked up what I think I have of Lokshin....& it appears to include Symphony 6, which in my version starts with a bass(?) soloist.
Dunno...you tell me - is that right ?

Lokshin Symphony no 6 is on YouTube - and it does indeed start with a bass soloist.  It's on a channel called "Aleksandr Lokshin".  I'm listening to it now, and it's exciting stuff.
If you want to see the lyric, expand the first comment, then paste the Russian text into Google Translate.

Ah - corroborative evidence; thanks - had no idea where my download was from !    Yup, so many Lokshin symphonies have singers, which to me is (nearly !) always an improvement - this does make a fine sound !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »

Hello djarvie,

Very pleased you found Lokshin's 6th symphony.
It was the missing symphony in my collection of the symphonies of this fine composer

Thanks for sharing,

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2017, 11:18:08 pm »

Playing Joseph Marx again and again. 'Debussy', say most comments, but in honest: I don't think so.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 04:47:46 pm »

Hello djarvie,

Very pleased you found Lokshin's 6th symphony.
It was the missing symphony in my collection of the symphonies of this fine composer

Thanks for sharing,

Elroel

May I too offer my thanks for this link to the "missing" Lokshin symphony Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »

Lokshin - nice that some discussion leads to a happy resolution !

So, tonight, following a kind 'steer' on another thread, Klami 'Psalmus' Oratorio; then, since they happen to follow on in this section of my download collection, Peter Klatzow Marimba Concerto, & Dmitri Klebanov Symphony no. 1 'Babi Yar'.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 07:51:06 pm »

todays menu includes Ludolf Nielsen's symphonies 1-3 and Kurt Atterberg's Sym 2 & 5.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:22 pm »

today it is Fritz Brun day.... symphonies and piano concerto...all Swiss
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »

today's its Sergey Taneyev's String Quartets..... Naxos finally has completed their cycle with the Carpe Diem SQ.  I just picked up the vol 5.   Sure do miss those Tower Records days... when I used to drop in there and pick up a handful of new releases...Sad
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »

today it is Fritz Brun day.... symphonies and piano concerto...all Swiss

Yes, nice reminder, thanks - had a few pieces, but have managed to add to those today !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 01:36:02 pm »

Hoddinott's Fourth Symphony on cordless headphones. I downloaded this from here and put it on a cd-r (with David Wynne's third). I expected something pretty dour ang gruelling,judging from some of the posts at the GMG forum. Surprise! This is fantastic. My attention was caught right from the start.Full of thrilling,colourful,exciting orchestration. It feels so full of energy at times. Power packed,I call it! (I love the dark,sombre way it opens) Indeed,I couldn't find anything particularly forbidding here. Although,I'll admit,it's not exactly Eric Coates!! Grin Why isn't this on cd?!! Huh Roll Eyes If it isn't,it should be!! Sad Angry
Come on bis...Chandos...Dutton!!!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 03:33:41 pm »

Yes,Hoddinott's Fourth Symphony. In a word,fantastic! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: