The Art-Music Forum
April 07, 2020, 04:57:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 8758 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »

on today's menu is Leif Kayser's Symphony no 1 and no 4.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »

Oh dear- this is a thread started by Mr. Dave.
I happen to like the basis for the thread....gives a good chance to be 'steered' towards something worth trying, or to stick up for favourites...of whatever provenance.

So, Mr. Dave - and, MODERATORS, perhaps this falls in your realm- a gentleman is plainly not well; should we perhaps remove this attempt and start another, similarly harmless one ? Or do we soldier on and 'ignore' the 'afflicted' posts.
 'Full of freedom and delight' this clearly is NOT, as things stand !
OK  I deleted that post... sorry Neil if I offended you.  The intent was innocent... just interested in only the music at the time, nothing more.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 09:15:42 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Dave - that seems to be a sign to 'carry on', so....something a little cheerful for Christmas:

Christopher Rouse - Karolju ;  followed by his Guitar 'Concerto de Gaudi'.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »

a little choral music today: Randall Thompson Requiem  with the Philadelphia Singers on the Naxos label.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »

a little choral music today: Randall Thompson Requiem  with the Philadelphia Singers on the Naxos label.

What a good idea - I'll join you in that....followed by some Russian Christmas music; Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev's Christmas Oratorio.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 10:08:40 pm »

its been August Enna day today.... his sym #2 and violin concerto.... both on CPO
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 10:40:05 pm »

Oh, it is sometime ago since I heard Thompson's Requiem. Good idea. I was in a choral mood anyway today. Scandinavian and Baltic works (Gjeilo, Esenvalds, Sandstrom and others).

Alfeyev's Christmas Oratorio is a good idea too. I changed that one, taking out the russian speeches. 

For some odd reason, every year I listen in the days around Christmas to Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's No. 8 symphonies.

I wish all the members a wonderful Christmas time and may the year 2017 become the best one in your life (so far)
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

on today's menu is Otto Malling's Piano Concerto, some CFE Horneman  and Hakon Borresen's symphonies..(CPO recording)
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 04:56:39 pm »

Last evening I listened to as many of Sibelius' choral/orchestral and orchestral works (apart from the symphonies--another time!) as I could find on YouTube and was amazed at myself for never having listened well before to The Tempest, Swanwhite, Karelia suite, Pélleas and Mélisande, and Wood Nymph. I was bedazzled as you can expect and will now return for whatever else I can find. I am usually, for some reason, ever in pursuit of music that is new to me at the expense of these fine long-established works, but I realize that listening to these classics is more fulfilling.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »

Last evening I listened to as many of Sibelius' choral/orchestral and orchestral works (apart from the symphonies--another time!) as I could find on YouTube and was amazed at myself for never having listened well before to The Tempest, Swanwhite, Karelia suite, Pélleas and Mélisande, and Wood Nymph. I was bedazzled as you can expect and will now return for whatever else I can find. I am usually, for some reason, ever in pursuit of music that is new to me at the expense of these fine long-established works, but I realize that listening to these classics is more fulfilling.

Well said! So many of Sibelius's other compositions are, as you say, quite magical.

And I too am so often "in pursuit of music that is new to me" that I tend to neglect the great masterpieces of the classical repertoire. When I listen to the Beethoven Eroica or the 9th or Schubert's Unfinished or the Great C major or the Brahms 4th or the Dvorak New World or the Tchaikovsky 4th etc etc I am blown away every time with the force almost of a new discovery Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »

just arrived in the post... Langgaard's controversial Music of the Spheres....
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 04:30:00 pm »

just arrived in the post... Langgaard's controversial Music of the Spheres....

Mmm...delightful;will go with that, then Joep Franssens 'Harmony of the Spheres'.     Any other contenders in this section ?
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2016, 09:55:35 pm »

William Wordsworth's magnificent and magical Symphony No.5 (the Lyrita release of a broadcast from 1979).
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:14 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCEoz8yJmr4VN0h7QXH8x4w

Soundtracks from mostly B (or Z?) horror movies and tv series. Kinda fun. Some of those guys' symphonies and concertos (if they existed) might have been pretty wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2016, 02:04:17 am »

Fazil Say's exotic violin concerto,available on youtube.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: