The Art-Music Forum
April 06, 2020, 10:11:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 8756 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 03:15:51 pm »

todays list includes a rare item indeed  Franz Syberg's symphony and Louis Glass Sym no 3 on the CPO label.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:40 pm »

just snagged the CEF Weyse symphonies 1-7  on dacapo...got  them cheap (used) on amazon.  (reminds me of Beethoven).... after that its Alfven's Cantata series on Sterling..(vol 1)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:53 pm »

... and I was listening to the cantatas Julekantate Nº 3 (Christmas) & Påskekantate Nº 1 (Eastern) of Weyse.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2017, 09:26:44 am »

Greetings from depressingly unsunny Malta !

Good suggestions, thanks - Weyse Christmas Cantata no. 3, & the Alfven cantatas !

Currently listening to Ernesto Cordero guitar concerto 'Festivo', followed, if we're allowed to mention band music, by Serge Lancen 'Mascarade' for brass quintet & band, then Kara Karayev(or Gara Garaev as you prefer !) 'Don Quixote' symphonic engravings.
Then time for a cocktail & lunch (+some football on TV !)....& later some Dutilleux, Leshnoff & Nishimura.

Who needs sunshine anyway !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2017, 06:57:15 pm »

on todays menu is August Enna's  The Little Match Girl (A Musical Fairy Tale)  and The Shepherdess and the Chimney-Sweep  (Ballet)...
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »

on todays menu is August Enna's  The Little Match Girl (A Musical Fairy Tale)  and The Shepherdess and the Chimney-Sweep  (Ballet)...

Ah - have David Lang's 'Little Match Girl Passion', but not the Enna. Will search for it, thanks !

Listening today to some Hindemith recently 'acquired' : Cantata 'Apparebit Repentina Dies', Clarinet Concerto, & Funeral Music for viola & orchestra...
then Pehr Henrik Nordgren's Concerto for Organ & chamber orchestra, and Folke Rabe Horn Concerto.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:41 pm »

Allan Pettersson's Symphonies and violin concertos. Overwhelming me, in a very good way.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 03:30:03 pm »

I grabbed a handful of symphonies today.... Harty's Irish Symphony, Sir Edward German's Sym #2, Thuille's Symphony, Lazzari's Symphony in E, Tournemire's Symphony no 3, and Hans Rott Symphony No 1.....
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 04:22:38 pm »

Ah - have David Lang's 'Little Match Girl Passion', but not the Enna. Will search for it, thanks !

Listening today to some Hindemith recently 'acquired' : Cantata 'Apparebit Repentina Dies', Clarinet Concerto, & Funeral Music for viola & orchestra...
then Pehr Henrik Nordgren's Concerto for Organ & chamber orchestra, and Folke Rabe Horn Concerto.

oh I see you have some Pehr Henrik Nordgren music.... his music is somewhat interesting and edgy...... I see that Alba has a new CD coming out called "Storm Fear"  with 2 of his piano concertos.   
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:58 pm »

oh I see you have some Pehr Henrik Nordgren music.... his music is somewhat interesting and edgy...... I see that Alba has a new CD coming out called "Storm Fear"  with 2 of his piano concertos.   

Ah - interesting, thanks; quite well off for his violin concerti etc., but nothing in the way of PCs. Will keep an eye out !

So, following on (sort of) from string concerti...today : Chris Thile Mandolin Concerto; Boris Tishchenko Harp Concerto; Kee Yong Chong Concerto 'Shui Mo' for erhu, pipa, guzheng & sheng; + Harpsichord Concerti by Vladimir Godar & Viktor Kalabis.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
shamus
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »

Alexander Lokshin symphonies (No. 6 was never performed), another victim of Zhdanov, wrote film music to survive.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:27 pm »

Alexander Lokshin symphonies (No. 6 was never performed), another victim of Zhdanov, wrote film music to survive.

Ah - coincidence there. Friend on-line was mentioning him just yesterday, so put on a disc with his Songs for Margaret, + Symphonies 7 & 10.
Might be in a minority here, but love symphonies involving a singer (or lots !). Lovely stuff !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:44 pm »

I've got the new release from Ondine in the CD player..>>. Klami/Englund Violin Concertos.. Klami's - Works from Piano and String Orchestra and Seppo Pohjola's Sym 1 and 2
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 06:12:45 pm »

Um...just looked up what I think I have of Lokshin....& it appears to include Symphony 6, which in my version starts with a bass(?) soloist.
Dunno...you tell me - is that right ?

Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 57

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:49 pm »

just snagged the CEF Weyse symphonies 1-7  on dacapo...got  them cheap (used) on amazon.  (reminds me of Beethoven)

I picked these all up on the Naxos label in Torshavn many years ago.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: