The Art-Music Forum
November 17, 2018, 11:45:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 5165 times)
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 46

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:18 am »

I think my music collection has grown at least 3 times since I joined this forum... oh well  happy listening! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:51 am »

Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2018, 12:14:55 pm »

A very embarassing confession,now!! Roll Eyes Embarrassed After posting enthusiastically about the Simpson's Fourth,I went downstairs. I was surprised that the cd,of the Second and Fourth,also,included a talk by Simpson;and the display on the mini hi-fi read track 17!!!! I then discovered that the wrong cd's were in the jewel boxes. No's 2 & 4,were in the case for No 9;and,well,vice-versa!! Roll Eyes Embarrassed In my defence! Roll Eyes Grin I tend to listen to music via wireless headphones. Good,Senheisser,ones,though. More often than not,I am anywhere other than in the vicinity of the cd display. I had also been out and about,in between listening to,the cd's of No's 9 & 2 & 4;and I hadn't heard his Ninth,in around fifteen years! It's still an embarassing mistake,though. It's really to know,isn't it...... that there are such discerning listeners here?!! Nevertheles....... Grin;I do,stand by the contents of my post;but let's say that they referred to the Ninth,even though,I thought I was listening to the Fourth!!!! Roll Eyes Grin

I did go on to listen to the Second and Fourth then;after carefully ensuring that I knew what I was listening to,first! Roll Eyes Grin These are complex pieces of music;and I think you do need to get your head around them. They're not as immediately digestible as the third. I have heard it said that Simpson is a bit like Nielsen,without the tunes. I really don't think tunes are always vital to enjoying a symphony. What is important,imho,with Simpson's symphonies,is the way he builds his argument. The fact you can't hum them over the dishes afterwards,really isn't that important,as far as I'm concerned. What does bother me is a symphony that seems motiveless or lacking in direction. There's no sense of purpose,or end goal. Daniel Jones' symphonies aren't particularly tuneful (although there is a lyrical nature there,somewhere) but I get allot of enjoyment,and satisfaction from listening to them. There is a purposefulness and unfolding logic,an argument that holds my attention,throughout. As to Simpson's perceived coldness. I'm not sure that prevents me from enjoying his music? I can certainly think of warmer hearted composers,who bore me to tears! But we'll see?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2018, 12:35:19 pm »

I'm listening to the Fourth, now! I'm rather enjoying it, actually. I think I may have been wrong,or even a bit of a cissy ! Grin) to have given up on them,so quickly,last time around?! This music has an elemental power. It sounds very angry when it's loud;and I can certainly see what calyptorhyncus means about his use of brass! Wow! I remember being very much taken by his Ninth symphony,when I first heard it. I remember being so enthusiastic about it, I made my late mother sit all the way through it!! Roll Eyes Grin

I've got to say;I love the way he builds his his music up. There's a feeling of orchestral power,there. Big blocks of sound,with the brass,literally,blazing.The photo's on the front do seem apt. Cosmic!! I think I've got to side with the Simpson admirers,here. I think I'm really feeling excited about what I'm hearing!!
Explains it all.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Grin
On,now...........and I just double checked the cd,before putting it on!! Sad Grin Lortzing's Der Opernprobe. I think this delightful,and very tuneful little opera (singspiel,really),is my favourite Lortzing opera,after his Der Wildschutz! Absolutely,winning;and not much about it on the internet. A bit of a find,imho. Also,nice and short (only one cd!). The performances,on this Cpo recording,are excellent. Some choice sound effects,add to the atmosphere of the recording;and the performers sound as if they're having great fun! Apparently,it sends up the operatic conventions of the day? But after my earlier post........heck,what do I know?!! Embarrassed Roll Eyes

I had Schubert's Alfonso und Estrella on,a bit earlier. An operatic failiure,as far as the libretto and history is concerned;but Schubert's music is just lovely. Some of the duets between the two lead male soloists were exceptionally melodious. The recording,conducted but Suitner;and available on the Brilliant label,is excellent!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2018, 01:53:16 pm »

On now,Dukas' wonderful opera,Ariane et Barbe-bleue;in the recording,conducted by Armin Jordan. The dazzlingly,sumptuous orchestration absolutely glitters. In some ways,it's more like a massive tone poem with some operatic singing. No need to follow a libretto,just enjoy! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 125

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »

All this should be joy for Neil who regrets that there is not more discussion of opera on this forum
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2018, 02:57:45 pm »

It is indeed, and I shall be looking out the Dukas as soon as time permits  :-)
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 46

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2018, 03:39:10 pm »

Yes I have the Brun cycle..   I need to give them a fresh listen too!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:19 am »

On,now! Eugene d'albert's opera,Die Toten Augen,on the Cpo label. I bought his opera,Tiefland;and after reading all the reviews,I just couldn't resist this one. Lush,sumptuously,beautiful orchestration;but not in a ott way,like Schreker;and less overpowering than Richard Strauss,in his noisier operas.  I'd say,it's more refined. More lyrical. Some of the orchestration I'm listening to now,is very beautiful indeed. It reminds me of Korngold,here;but it has a quality all of it's own. I haven't listened to Tiefland,yet! This is a bit of a find by Cpo,imho!

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2018, 12:32:55 pm »

Eugene d'Albert

One of the most unusually-named Scotsmen you might find :-)   I don't (yet!) know Die Toten Augen, but I can aver that the reviews you've read of Tiefland are richly deserved - so you have much pleasure ahead :-)

In addition to three solid piano concertos for Dundonnell to relish, there are no less than 18 (!) operas. The title which most intrigues me is Der Golem - premiered, oddly, in Frankfurt, while Tiefland was first heard in Prague  (one might expect things the other way round, hmmm?).  Apparently there is a recording on MDG, which I must try to look out. Anyone know it?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2018, 01:25:12 pm »

Eugene d'Albert

One of the most unusually-named Scotsmen you might find :-)   I don't (yet!) know Die Toten Augen, but I can aver that the reviews you've read of Tiefland are richly deserved - so you have much pleasure ahead :-)

In addition to three solid piano concertos for Dundonnell to relish, there are no less than 18 (!) operas. The title which most intrigues me is Der Golem - premiered, oddly, in Frankfurt, while Tiefland was first heard in Prague  (one might expect things the other way round, hmmm?).  Apparently there is a recording on MDG, which I must try to look out. Anyone know it?
I was nearly put off Die Toten Augen by some of the descriptions of lush,sumptuous orchestration. Schreker's a bit too OTT,and murky,for me. The big surprise here,is that some of it sounds more like Korngold.......yet, different. Quite 'film-ic in places. The singing is more lyrical than Schreker,too. It's not one of those operas too,where the orchestration is gorgeous,but the singing is just tuneless hectoring. Some of it is quite refined. You can just sit back and wallow in the beauty of the orchestration and singing,without bothering about the libretto. I don't know about the libretto;but listening to this makes me think that his unrecorded operas are definitely worth investigating! The man certainly could orchestrate! And yes,I was very intrigued by Der Golem. Only the s/h prices,I saw,and some expressed reservations about some of the performances of individual singers and the sound of the orchestra;put me off. Weighing up the pro's and cons;the possibility of a better recording is remote (although,you never know?!) and it does sound very intriguing! Both the story and the descriptions of his late sound world! I have only two MDG recordings (of Draeseke) in my collection,and they are splendidly recorded and presented. Incidentally,the singing on this recording is superb,all round. Unlike,the otherwise,very good,The Bloody Nun (La Nonne Sanglante) by Gounod,which is marred by a tenor with bleating tone. I was listening to it last week. I kept thinking,"Oh,dear,if only he wasn't in it. How much more can I stand of this?" Fortunately,the vigor of the performances,and Gounod's colourful,and fun,score (fun story too;I loved The Monk,when I was a youngster!) do take over after a while!  But just that one singer!!!! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2018, 02:42:46 pm »

Playing here,now. Eugene d'albert's Tiefland. Yes,it's a beautiful score. I picked the RCA recording with Rudolf Schock because I like his singing. Funnily enough,I didn't used to,so much. With time and age I've come to enjoy the aristocratic cut of his ringing tenor! Looking at his photo's I can imagine some ladies being impressed. I like him in Stolz's complete operetta and the Keilberth Der Freischutz,too. This sound world is different from Die Toten Augen. More restrained,to suit the material,but there is the same mastery of orchestration.

Incidentally,I have to believe those things I write about Schreker,not being my cup of tea. If I bought one,I might end up wanting them all?!!! Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »

Luckily Tiefland somehow clung to its hard-won spot in the repertories of many German opera theatres - so there's a good choice of recordings to be had, if you don't object to a few mono ones.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmatt
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:49 pm »

Piano concertos by Miriam Hyde.
Borodin's opera Prince Igor.
Busoni Op. 39--never get tired of it, may listen to it again later, too.
Yesterday Louise Farrenc three symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: