The Art-Music Forum
December 08, 2019, 08:29:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 6556 times)
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:24 pm »

I've got Veracini's Complete Overtures and Concertos Vol 1 on tap.   Enjoying this baroque music... hope I don't go broke buying them!! 
(why didn't Handel go shopping?   He was baroque!!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2018, 08:06:18 pm »

On,now. Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande,in the 1952 recording by Ernest Ansermet;as reissued by Decca Eloquence. A wonderfully atmospheric recording. Unsurprisingly,this opera feels pretty focused after Schumann's Genoveva;as lovely as,allot of that score,undoubtedly is!!! I love the mysterious world this opera (the,Debussy) evokes.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 91

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2018, 12:27:28 am »

A good example of zhdanovian symphony:
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 134

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2018, 12:56:33 am »

"Zhdanovian"??

Is that not rather insulting?
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 91

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:37 am »

"Zhdanovian"??

Dear Dundonnell
I was speaking of Zhdanov's aestehics (also if he died three years before) not poilitical judgement
Best
Report Spam   Logged
Baron Scarpia
Level 1

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:59 am »

Today, took a slightly different tack (well, did listen to another set of Debussy Preludes Bk 1, Monique Haas, a worthy performance). But decided to listen to some orchestral music and settled on Vaughan Williams Symphony No 3 (the pastorale). I listened to a recording I have not head before, Andre Previn conducting the London Symphony Orchestra (the newly remastered set from RCA). Really a splendid performance, especially some thrilling work by the horns in the third movement, and a very impressive catharsis in the finale. Overall, a very satisfying experience.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:14 am »

On now,Robert Simpson's third symphony. I love those 'space-y' sounds at the beginning! Smiley

After all that debate on the Robert Simpson thread at the GMG Forum,I decided to have another go at his symphonies. I used to have the Unicorn Lp of Simpson's third,when I was a youngster. Anyway,I was going through a pile of cd-r's recently. One of them had Simpson's third,on it. After listening to it;I thought I would forget about it. Despite some of the negative comments on the Simpson thread;parts of the third kept niggling away in my head,and I just had to hear it on a "proper" cd. I also fancied listening to the Fifth. I remembered the way it all seems to break out into all this energy and violence,then dying away,rather spectacularly,and 'literally', towards the end. Something,like that,anyway?!! Roll Eyes Grin At any rate,I ended up buying s/h copies of 3 & 5 and No 9 (both of which,I had before) and No's 2 & 4;which I don't know;but I am aware that the Fourth is rated highly by Simpson admirers. I must say,I also love the photos on the front of some of those releases!! The final straw was looking through the Simpson thread and reading that Dundonnell rates Simpson's cycle as one of the most important in twentieth century music (or something along those lines? I can't check,at the moment,because the GMG is down!). I just had to buy them ,then!! And after buying those Lyrita Fricker cd's,I felt I needed another British symphony cycle. So,there they are now......waiting to be played!

I'm listening to the second movement,now. I like this. I find it absorbing.......food for thought! I like the way it follows on after all that pounding and energy!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »

"Zhdanovian"??

Dear Dundonnell
I was speaking of Zhdanov's aestehics (also if he died three years before) not poilitical judgement
Best

I am not sure that Zhdanov had any aesthetic judgment that was not entirely based on political postures.

But let us pass on.......
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »

Today, took a slightly different tack (well, did listen to another set of Debussy Preludes Bk 1, Monique Haas, a worthy performance). But decided to listen to some orchestral music and settled on Vaughan Williams Symphony No 3 (the pastorale). I listened to a recording I have not head before, Andre Previn conducting the London Symphony Orchestra (the newly remastered set from RCA). Really a splendid performance, especially some thrilling work by the horns in the third movement, and a very impressive catharsis in the finale. Overall, a very satisfying experience.

At his best- in the late 1960s and 1970s, at the helm of the London Symphony Orchestra, Previn was a truly magnificent conductor. His mastery of the idiom of RVW (and, eg, Walton) was absolutely brilliant and I agree totally about the Pastoral.

It is such a pity that, unlike most conductors, he seems to have "peaked" too young.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »

Cilgwyn, you refer to an extended debate about Robert Simpson on GMG. This is one of the reasons I don't bother returning there. We could debate the music of a particular composer until the cows came home. Sometimes that debate is worth having and worth extending. Discussion is to be encouraged after all

However it can get to the point (and if I recall correctly through the mists of time it did with Simpson) that I certainly can say no more on the subject. Simpson's "sound world"- which is ultimately what appeals to me-may not attract or impress others. I happen to think that his Symphonies Nos. 2, 4 and 9 are masterpieces. I happen to think that No.9 is one of the greatest 20th century symphonies but I find most Delius tedious, most Rachmaninov nauseating, most Mozart boring.......so, what do I know
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2018, 04:28:40 pm »

I'm listening to the Fourth,now! I'm rather enjoying it,actually. I think I may have been wrong,or even a bit of a cissy ! Grin) to have given up on them,so quickly,last time around?! This music has an elemental power. It sounds very angry when it's loud;and I can certainly see what calyptorhyncus means about his use of brass! Wow! I remember being very much taken by his Ninth symphony,when I first heard it. I remember being so enthusiastic about it,I made my late mother sit all the way through it!! Roll Eyes Grin

I've got to say;I love the way he builds his his music up. There's a feeling of orchestral power,there. Big blocks of sound,with the brass,literally,blazing.The photo's on the front do seem apt. Cosmic!! I think I've got to side with the Simpson admirers,here. I think I'm really feeling excited about what I'm hearing!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2018, 04:41:44 pm »

I'm listening to the Fourth,now! I'm rather enjoying it,actually. I think I may have been wrong,or even a bit of a cissy ! Grin) to have given up on them,so quickly,last time around?! This music has an elemental power. It sounds very angry when it's loud;and I can certainly see what calyptorhyncus means about his use of brass! Wow! I remember being very much taken by his Ninth symphony,when I first heard it;I remember being so enthusiastic about it,I made my late mother sit all the way through it!! Roll Eyes Grin

I've got to say;I love the way he builds his his music up. There's a feeling of orchestral power,there. Big blocks of sound,with the brass,literally,blazing.The photo's on the front do seem apt. Cosmic!! I think I've got to side with the Simpson admirers,here. I think I'm really feeling excited about what I'm hearing!!

The only problem with the Fourth-as I have said repeatedly-is that the slow movement is not slow enough!! Simpson revised his original conception to avoid the movement being "too emotional" and subsequently regretted that decision. Someone should return to the original score and re-record it. One of my biggest regrets is deleting my recording of the premiere Cry
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 8

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2018, 07:01:21 pm »

In the CD player is actually an old ASV CD of 18th Century British Symphonies.. the John Collett Symphony no 2 is an enjoyable piec :'(e.    Wish ASV was still around   Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2018, 08:08:09 pm »

I agree about ASV. They recorded a number of obscure British concertos currently unavailable
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2018, 10:12:06 pm »

I am not sure that Zhdanov had any aesthetic judgment that was not entirely based on political postures.
Zhdanov didn't, probably, but Khrennikov certainly had. Later in his life he was known for his support of younger Soviet composers.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: