The Art-Music Forum
September 23, 2017, 01:10:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What are you listening to today?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you listening to today?  (Read 4003 times)
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 31

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »

thought we had started this a while back... oh well.. its the Holidays here in the US and I've got several recordings of Nystroem ready on the CD player with my new headphones.... Smiley    I have the BIS Malmo Symphony set and one from Swedish Society and Caprice and Musica Sveciae.....

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Anonden
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 01:08:09 am »

Def Leppard - Pyromania and then High and Dry...in my car anyway. Awfully loud. So loud one neighbour at a traffic light rolled up his windows......though people at least a car away can feel the bass of the drum.

Now I'm not listening to anything, except a police siren off in the distance.

You did ask.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:59:09 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:55 pm »

today... some of the Sterling CD series on Swiss Romantic composers...Hermann and Huber....
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 41

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:58:00 am »

I'm starting a programme of listening to all the Rubbra symphonies in sequence. It's not something I can do often, as they have such a profound emotional effect on me, I need time to recover. It occurs to me that possibly the reason his music has such an impact is the pervasively contrapuntal nature of the writing. Something like the first movement of #1 - it's loud, vigorous and dramatic, but there is polyphony right the way through which ratchets up the intensity.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 11:57:12 pm »

Asger Hamerik: The Symphonies, Requiem  an excellent collection if you don't have them in your CD collection yet.
A 4 CD collection of the complete symphonies.... Hamerik works are very pleasant and make a great addition to your collection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEXBQS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10ZG70N54A9ZQ
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 45

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:04:06 am »

Yes - nice idea for a thread, this; works very well on other fora.

Following Mr. Dave's Danish lead:

John Frandsen - Requiem (Da Capo - http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-john-frandsen-requiem.aspx)
Jesper Koch - Violin Concerto 'Arcadia Lost'
(His Cello Concerto's also on YT, which I didn't realise till this a.m., so that will come next !)
Niels Viggo Bentzon - Symphony no. 12 'Tunis'
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 66

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 10:12:01 pm »

We've been listening to a live relay of LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK from the Staatsoper Munich, conducted by Kirill Petrenko, with Anja Kampe in the title role.
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:46 am »

On my recent flight from New York to Bombay (Mumbai), I listened to Alistair Hinton's String Quintet. Thanks, Alistair, for composing such an amazing work.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 25

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:28 am »

On my recent flight from New York to Bombay (Mumbai), I listened to Alistair Hinton's String Quintet. Thanks, Alistair, for composing such an amazing work.
You really are most kind indeed; thank you very much!

I consider myself fortunate that the piece is served by a wonderfully lifelike recording and fabulous performances from all the artists involved.
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:20 pm »

served up on today's menu is Ludolf Nielsen Symphony no 1 on the Dacapo label  and Hamerik Sym #6 with Gade's Novelletters on the CPO label. 

After that its a little Swiss with Othmar Schoeck's Sommernacht on the Musiques Suisses label.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 45

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:07 am »

Mmm...cold, wintry day in my holiday hotel, so maybe join Mr. Dave in Schoek's Sommernacht; then some more summery music -
Erkki Melartin - Symphony no. 4 'Summer Symphony'
Otto Ketting - Summer Moon 
Maciej Malecki - Cantata 'Spring, Summer' (found on C-M-O)
Georg Haas - Traum in des Sommersnacht

Hope it's warmer where you are....and if not,maybe one of these (or a better one of your own) will do the trick !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »

today's menu is a little Danish (ham) with Carl Nielsen's poems and overtures topped with some Swiss (cheese) of Fritz Brun Symphony no 1.   Ham and cheese...should be yummy!
Report Spam   Logged
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 05:25:55 pm »

(I'm starting a programme of listening to all the Rubbra symphonies in sequence. )

Funnily enough I've just done exactly the same thing, after listening to them piecemeal for years. One result, which I hadn't at all anticipated, was that I was left feeling that quite a few of them are too short (!) - in the sense that in the middle symphonies in particular I don't feel Rubbra always allows himself time to develop individual movements as fully as they deserve, which is not something that had struck me before? (Mind, the same can't be said of No 9, which I continue to find impenetrable, but then I am almost allergic to religious music!) And the final symphony - though I've played it half a dozen times - also eludes me, as though it's just too cryptic to decode. But what a superb body of work, and how criminal that it's so neglected. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone on the horizon who shows any sign of taking up Rubbra's cause...

Inspired by this marathon, I then did the same with the Malcolm Arnold nine - that's a VERY different emotional journey, and ends in a very different place...
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:23:53 pm »

on todays menu is Heinrich von Herzogenberg's Symphonies no 1 and no 2 with a little of Poul Schierbeck Symphony (1921).
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »

plus a new CD that came in the post.... Volkmar Andreae's Symphony in C major  on the Guild label.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: