The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:09:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Empfindsamkeit

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Empfindsamkeit  (Read 1356 times)
Ian Moore
Level 3

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:15:26 am »

This work is closely associated with Adieu.  It is basically an oboe quintet version of the piano and oboe piece.

Report Spam   Logged

Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous.
-Boulez

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:48:40 pm »

Anyone got something to say?
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
guest2
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:34 am »

Well the word signifies "sensibility" in the Teutonic. Didn't Schumann write a song or piece with that name? I have recorded yours, since it is quite sensitively beautiful.

We may well though ask whether it is not for its composer rather than its auditors to "say" more about it? Compare a) the number of comments made by so many other people upon Brahms's fourth symphony with b) the remarks Brahms himself made or did not on the subject. Yet to which would one turn or go? And why?
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:22:22 pm »

Well the word signifies "sensibility" in the Teutonic. Didn't Schumann write a song or piece with that name? I have recorded yours, since it is quite sensitively beautiful.

We may well though ask whether it is not for its composer rather than its auditors to "say" more about it? Compare a) the number of comments made by so many other people upon Brahms's fourth symphony with b) the remarks Brahms himself made or did not on the subject. Yet to which would one turn or go? And why?

Some translate the word as 'sensitivity' rather than 'sensibility'.  E.g Pertaining to the 'senses'.  That is the translation that I am referring to.  Yes, Schumann wrote "Empfindsam" ("Sensitive" or "Sensible").  A collection of piano works.  I much admire Schumann but there is no other connection but the name.
On a forum, it is best when the listeners get a good chance to voice their views about the music. To be honest, I listen to both.  Of course, Brahms' view is incredibly important to my overview of the work but other people's view also provide a fascinating insight; also, composers can be tricky - they say what is in their best interest for you to hear. Sometimes, they are biased in one direction or another. Believe it or not, they might not want to tell you the entire truth!
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »

I can fully sympathise with any member who starts a thread and then gets zero or little response. It is rather frustrating. Sometimes of course, I fully concede, one may have already written as much as anyone else would want to say ;D

I am afraid that I am not really a chamber music sort of person :-[ ::) so I cannot really comment or your piece with anything of value :(
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »

...it is quite sensitively beautiful.
Thank you for this comment.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Ian Moore
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 05:51:48 pm »

I can fully sympathise with any member who starts a thread and then gets zero or little response. It is rather frustrating. Sometimes of course, I fully concede, one may have already written as much as anyone else would want to say ;D

I am afraid that I am not really a chamber music sort of person :-[ ::) so I cannot really comment or your piece with anything of value :(

It is just nice to know that there are people out there listening to my music. Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

-Boulez
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:36:39 am »

Probably not to Brahms, since much of the creative process is done by the subconscious, and it would not be strange if an academic actually had better insight into the structure of Brahms's fourth symphony than Brahms himself. This is one of the reasons for the existence of so much dull music, in that you get student composers who read these structural analyses and imagine that it's all thought out by the composer. So they laboriously try to recreate similar schemes in their own music, and the result is tedious and uninspired.
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:57:24 pm »

I like your composition, Ian. However, aside from my liking of chamber music involving woodwinds and the piece coming across as atmospheric, it's hard to put into words precisely why.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: