The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:10:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6765 times)
Beorn
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2021, 11:21:34 am »

Dear members, let me return to Daniel Jones.

I've just finished exploring his symphonies available on yt. They are all there except the sixth and the seventh. All very rich in orchestration, my preference goes to no. 12, which I found most immediately captivating, followed by no. 2.

I'm curious to know the preferences of other members ...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2021, 02:35:29 pm »

I personally prefer the greater concision of numbers 10-12, but they are all extremely rewarding works which deserve far wider recognition and the completion of the cycle on Lyrita can't come soon enough...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2021, 08:49:04 pm »

"Yes, Eric would be an asset. Incidentally, where's cilgywn?"

Here,actually! ;D I did try and log-in several months ago,but for some reason,I couldn't get in! For some reason,I had some idea I might be unwelcome,and I didn't try again........until I saw Albion's post! As to my disappearance? I may have some explaining to do?!! ::) :-[ Still useless with digital technology,though & unable to quote Albion's post with a different colour background,like everyone else,on this forum! ::) Only the other day,I switched off a rather dour Scotswoman who had been trying to telephone me,by pressing "Off",instead of just lifting the receiver,like everyone else!! ::) Nice to see the recent flurry of posts on the forum! :)

Another volume in the Lyrita Daniel Jones series,too!! Oh,and I'm sorry to hear of Colin's disappearance. I do hope he's okay!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2021, 09:07:14 pm »

"Yes, Eric would be an asset. Incidentally, where's cilgywn?"

Here,actually! ;D I did try and log-in several months ago,but for some reason,I couldn't get in! For some reason,I had some idea I might be unwelcome,and I didn't try again........until I saw Albion's post! As to my disappearance? I may have some explaining to do?!! ::) Still useless with digital technology,though & unable to quote Albion's post with a different colour background,like everyone else,on this forum! ::) Only the other day,I switched off a rather dour Scotswoman who had been trying to telephone me,by pressing "Off",instead of just lifting the receiver,like everyone else!! ::) Nice to see the recent flurry of posts on the forum! :)

Hooray! Great to ''see'' you again. You are always a great enthusiast (and we certainly need that)...

;)

...except, if I remember, for York Bowen...

:o

...and I bet that Lyrita's ongoing commitment to a Daniel Jones symphony cycle has gladdened your heart.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2021, 09:15:30 pm »

Yes,the Daniel Jones cd is wonderful news! :) :) :) I must admit I was beginning to wonder!  And it's good to see "see" you again,Albion. I'm sorry to hear of Colin's disappearance,though. I hope he's okay?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2021, 09:20:26 pm »

I'm sorry to hear of Colin's disappearance,though.

Me too.

I hope he's okay?!!

Glad that you are.

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:35 pm »

Yes,the Daniel Jones cd is wonderful news! :) :) :) I must admit I was beginning to wonder!

Bryden Thomson is still a woefully underrated interpreter and now a largely forgotten one it seems - his Bax symphony series (but, strangely enough not the tone poems) is usually dismissed nowadays following the release of Tod Handley's (admittedly excellent) cycle...

::)

He is excellent in Harty, Martinu and Nielsen too.

Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 10:18:22 pm »

I was interested to read the posts on favourite Daniel Jones symphonies. My favourites are 1,2.4,7 & 8. Unlike some members,I seem to prefer the earlier symphonies. In that respect,I will be particularly keen to acquire the forthcoming cd. No's 4 & 7 will always have a particular appeal,because they were the first I heard,on a library Lp,when I was a youngster. And for some years,they represented all I knew of the cycle. So,if thumbscrews were to be used,I might settle for 4 & 7,if I really had to narrow it down!But it would have to be a thumbscrew job,I'm afraid!! I find the,more expansive,1 & 2 are very absorbing. And I love the instrumentation in No 8. (Marimba's and kettle drums!). I was re-reading the original review of the Lyrita cd (of 4,7 & 8 ) on Musicweb. Stephen Hall raves about the richness of his orchestration,and I can't help but agree!

Yes,it always annoys me (not that I'm chewing the carpet,over it! ;D) that Chandos don't seem to value Bryden Thomson,quite as much as,Handley & Hickox!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 11:33:01 am »

For anyone coming new to this thread wanting to explore these wonderful symphonies, here is a summary including the new issue:

Symphony No.1 (1947)   - Lyrita SRCD358 (released 2017) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.2 (1950)   - Lyrita SRCD364 (released 2017) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.3 (1951)   - Lyrita SRCD390 (released 2021) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.4 (1954)   - Lyrita SRCD329 (released 2007) RPO/ Charles Groves
Symphony No.5 (1958)   - Lyrita SRCD390 (released 2021) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.6 (1964)   - Lyrita SRCD326 (released 1996) RPO/ Charles Groves
Symphony No.7 (1972)   - Lyrita SRCD329 (released 2007) RPO/ Charles Groves
Symphony No.8 (1972)   - Lyrita SRCD329 (released 2007) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.9 (1974)   - Lyrita SRCD326 (released 1996) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.10 (1981) - Lyrita SRCD358 (released 2017) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson
Symphony No.11 (1983) - Lyrita SRCD364 (released 2017) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson

which leaves

Symphony No.12 (1985)
Symphony (No.13) in memory of John Fussell (1992)

the following broadcasts of which are in the British and Irish Music archive:

Symphony No.12 (1985) BBC Welsh SO/ Bryden Thomson (broadcast 3/3/1990)

Symphony No.12 (1985) BBC NOW/ Grant Llewellyn (broadcast 17/10/2012)

Symphony (No.13) in memory of John Fussell (1992) BBC Welsh SO/ Richard Hickox (broadcast 7/12/1992)

Symphony (No.13) in memory of John Fussell (1992) BBC NOW/ Tecwyn Evans (broadcast 21/1/2017)

All of these will remain in the archive until the next Lyrita release. It is reasonable to assume that they will choose Bryden Thomson's broadcast of No.12. For No.13 I suspect it will be Richard Hickox (Thomson died in 1991).

Report Spam   Logged

guest128
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2021, 12:52:38 am »

I personally prefer the greater concision of numbers 10-12, but they are all extremely rewarding works which deserve far wider recognition and the completion of the cycle on Lyrita can't come soon enough...

I entirely agree about Nos.10-12, the only three Jones Symphonies I find substantially communicative to me personally (together with which I would include the Violin Concerto).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2021, 02:42:49 pm »

A (very) mini-review of the download version,of the forthcoming cd of Symphonies 3 & 5. (You scroll down,below the Beulah reviews). Being a dinosaur (albeit,a small one! :() I'll be waiting for the actual cd!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Mar/Voices-past.htm

I've got the 2cd Chandos set of his String Quartets,by the way. Sellers ask eye watering prices & it took me a few years to find an affordable copy! But it was well worth it. Hopefully,Chandos,or another label,will reissue the set,one fine day?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 03:29:14 pm »

Being a dinosaur (albeit,a small one! :() I'll be waiting for the actual cd!

I must admit to preferring physical objects - LPs (back in the day), CDs, books, scores, etc. - to digital media...

...and I dread the day (which, hopefully, I won't live to see) when these old-fashioned things become totally obsolete.

Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2021, 03:47:34 pm »

Being a dinosaur (albeit,a small one! :() I'll be waiting for the actual cd!

I must admit to preferring physical objects - LPs (back in the day), CDs, books, scores, etc. - to digital media...
...and I dread the day (which, hopefully, I won't live to see) when these old-fashioned things become totally obsolete.

Well said, that man.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2021, 09:24:44 pm »

A (very) mini-review of the download version,of the forthcoming cd of Symphonies 3 & 5. (You scroll down,below the Beulah reviews). Being a dinosaur (albeit,a small one! :() I'll be waiting for the actual cd!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Mar/Voices-past.htm

I've got the 2cd Chandos set of his String Quartets,by the way. Sellers ask eye watering prices & it took me a few years to find an affordable copy! But it was well worth it. Hopefully,Chandos,or another label,will reissue the set,one fine day?!!
I'm a bit behind the times here,considering my Avatar!! ::) :-[ ;D It is,of course,available to buy,now! The fact,that I blocked off allot of websites,like Amazon,to try and reduce my expenditure on cd's,hasn't helped! ::) I think I might wait for a drop in price,or offer,on this,though! Much as I would like to get my copy,hot off the press,as they say! :(  Unlike,Albion I like the earlier ones,best (Up to No 9!).
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2021, 09:20:03 am »

The Lyrita disc of symphonies 2 and 11 has a review today - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Mar/Jones-sys-SRCD364.htm

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: