The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:59:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6709 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »

This will make one board member very happy...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jones-Symphonies-Nos-3-5/dp/B08QS68XQG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lyrita&qid=1610799169&s=music&sr=1-1
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:28 pm »

Thanks for this, what a splendid prospect - nearing the completion of the cycle, only number 12 and the Symphony in memoriam John Fussell (Symphony No 13) to go in commercial release! How wonderful that Lyrita has not gone completely silent...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest251
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 02:55:55 pm »

Wonderful news indeed. I have to admit, I had almost given up on the remaining discs appearing, especially with the challenges of the current world situation.
Has anyone heard from Colin (Dundonnell) by the way? He seems to have been silent here for some time.
Report Spam   Logged
PJ
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2021, 06:13:31 pm »

Thanks for the excellent news!

Wonderful!

P
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:11 am »

No news from Colin, sadly.

Maris
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 01:08:55 am »

No news from Colin, sadly.

Maris

Greatly missed...

:(
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2021, 12:56:46 pm »

Do you think he's ill or dead?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2021, 03:17:29 pm »

Do you think he's ill or dead?

Hopefully neither, although it is very worrying that his own website in which he rightly took such great pride (mainly devoted to the listing of political and diplomatic personnel, besides composers) has not been updated for some time either...

:( ??? :(
Report Spam   Logged

guest128
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:27 pm »

Many months after Colin departed AMF Maris relayed a private message between them wherein Colin indicated he was alive and well, - so his initial disappearance, at least, was certainly not the result of death or ill-health. 

He's still Forum Administrator/Moderator AFAIK, - working behind the scenes, it must be.

Anyone perusing his last post(s) here will see that me and him were having a scrap, Colin's final words being "on that basis, further discussion is pointless" - something he apparently meant on a larger scale than anticipated.

Not that I've ever felt guilty, or responsible for driving him off.

Colin was thin-skinned in the extreme and easily provoked (even without intention), often playing out his own inner dramas.

But maybe the causality was entirely different.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2021, 09:15:32 pm »

Greg, I am sorry to derail this thread even further from the very worthwhile topic of Daniel Jones Symphonies and their issue on Lyrita, but until I hear from Colin personally I will be loath to believe that he is absent merely as the result of a personal spat. Whatever his prey to "inner-dramas" is or was I have neither idea nor interest - none of us can be accused of being entirely equanimous. He was an energetic and knowledgeable contributor to this and other forums (God knows, I try my best to be, despite my own ill-health) and very unlikely to have vanished from our discussion without a word. Maris would indeed undoubtedly know if Colin is "working behind the scenes", but it is certainly not my place to ask him and nor would I intrude upon their private correspondence...

:-\
Report Spam   Logged

guest128
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2021, 10:08:09 pm »

Greg, I am sorry to derail this thread even further from the very worthwhile topic of Daniel Jones Symphonies and their issue on Lyrita, but until I hear from Colin personally I will be loath to believe that he is absent merely as the result of a personal spat.
:-\

It would seem improbable, I agree, that a mere post (or posts) here could provoke such an outcome.  I only note the association.

More likely he's off on one of his "projects", with which he's known to be rather obsessive.

Assuming contact can be made, why doesn't someone just ask him what's going on (and say we'd all like to have him back)?

Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 02:09:12 am »

Well, it would be nice, I daresay, if some of us could have more personal contact than through forum posts. I have actually met in person one of my former correspondents in the UCF, and we maintain some contact to this day, even though I am no longer welcome in that "ahem" august body. I would actually like it if my friend would participate in this forum, although he may be an inactive member. I am referring to eschiss1, if you know to whom I refer.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 08:58:40 am »

I am no longer welcome in that "ahem" august body.

Neither am I, for reasons which several members know...

I would actually like it if my friend would participate in this forum, although he may be an inactive member. I am referring to eschiss1, if you know to whom I refer.

Yes, Eric would be an asset. Incidentally, where's cilgywn?

:)
Report Spam   Logged

JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:26 am »

Probably the same reason as me, unless you departed voluntarily. Alan got me booted out.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 12:50:44 pm »

Probably the same reason as me, unless you departed voluntarily. Alan got me booted out.

I became frankly tired of being treated like a naughty schoolboy because I did not subscribe to the obsessive idea of the "masterpiece", the restriction of discussion to so-called "Romantic" composers or the uninformed denigration of composers who did not "fit in" with the moderators' personal tastes or interests. I simply transferred the British and Irish Music Archive over here and continue to poke around the dusty hinterland of late Victorian and Edwardian British music...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: