The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:46:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6572 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 11:00:05 am »

I used to be a member of the bms years ago. Their newsletters and 'magazine' were very interesting;particularly in those pre-internet days when you couldn't just look up something via search engine!. I remember Rob Barnett's involvement. I first heard of Stanley Bate,Morfydd Owen and other neglected composers from perusing their publications. Is anyone here a member? The subscription got a bit too expensive for me at the time................and what with moving around,and subscriptions to other societies and magazines!! ::) :(
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »

Announced for August, 4 (on Amazon.co.uk)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniel-Jones-Symphonies-Nos-11/dp/B071VZBWWH/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1497205630&sr=1-3&keywords=daniel+jones
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »

I'm very disappointed that Lyrita haven't released any more recordings of Daniel Jones symphonies. They did say in the booklet,with the cd(s) that there would be more. I suppose,I'm being impatient;but I'm beginning to wonder?!! There have been other releases,but no Daniel Jones. Did they not sell very well? Have they lost interest?!! I hope not. I think,about,two more cd's and they would have completed the cycle? Also,I'm not optimistic of the chances of any cd's of Daniel Jones from any other label! Of course,there is Tŷ Cerdd,which has released cd's of Morfydd Owen,recently;which has had very good reviews,and a cd of Piano concertos by William Mathias (one of them,an archive recording of Mathias playing).

https://www.tycerdd.org/
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2018, 12:46:58 pm »

I'm very disappointed that Lyrita haven't released any more recordings of Daniel Jones symphonies. They did say in the booklet,with the cd(s) that there would be more. I suppose,I'm being impatient;but I'm beginning to wonder?!! There have been other releases,but no Daniel Jones. Did they not sell very well? Have they lost interest?!! I hope not. I think,about,two more cd's and they would have completed the cycle? Also,I'm not optimistic of the chances of any cd's of Daniel Jones from any other label! Of course,there is Tŷ Cerdd,which has released cd's of Morfydd Owen,recently;which has had very good reviews,and a cd of Piano concertos by William Mathias;one recording of which,is of an archive recording of Mathias,himself,playing.

https://www.tycerdd.org/

Yes, let's hope for more Daniel Jones from Lyrita. I'm looking forward to 'The Apocalypse' by Eugene Goossens.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »

(How nice it is to be back to discussing music!)

You will not be surprised to hear that I too am very concerned about the promised Daniel Jones cycle! I have had it in mind for several weeks to email Paul Conway (who writes all the booklet notes for Lyrita). Paul is sworn to secrecy about future Lyrita releases but it would d no harm to try to get some indication from him!
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2018, 04:14:37 pm »

(How nice it is to be back to discussing music!)

You will not be surprised to hear that I too am very concerned about the promised Daniel Jones cycle! I have had it in mind for several weeks to email Paul Conway (who writes all the booklet notes for Lyrita). Paul is sworn to secrecy about future Lyrita releases but it would d no harm to try to get some indication from him!

His notes are always excellent. Probably worth a try Colin.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 02:57:49 pm »

Dead silence on this topic. Pity, Lyrita. I eagerly await the rest of Jones' symphonies!
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 09:36:02 pm »

What's needed is a box set of the complete symphonies in modern performances. The absence is a scandal.
Report Spam   Logged
gabriel
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 11:51:14 pm »

I don't know if you agree with me, but I really like Graham Whetton, from whom I just heard an old radio version of his Sinfonia Dramatica on YouTube.
It is surprising that Dutton and some other companies are recording works of lesser interest from other composers, and there are no new versions of his neglected works (I am not, of course, unaware of the two wonderful Redcliffe albums, whose recordings are four decades old, or more).
I wonder if this "discrimination" - like the one Alan Bush once suffered - does not respond to ideological reasons. Which, if true, would disappoint me greatly about England.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2020, 12:18:17 am »

You mean Graham Whettam, right?
Report Spam   Logged
gabriel
Level 2

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2020, 12:36:53 am »

Please, sorry for my mistake: Yes, Graham Whettam.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »

Please reserve this thread for talk of Daniel Jones and his symphonies.
If you wish to comment on Graham Whettam, who is worth a mention, you should start a new thread, please.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 07:34:59 am »

Please reserve this thread for talk of Daniel Jones and his symphonies.
If you wish to comment on Graham Whettam, who is worth a mention, you should start a new thread, please.

Our new moderator.

Do we really need one?

When the action here is so slow and often in a coma, are OT posts truly such an offense?

Let's be pleased with anything that might get our hearts beating.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 03:09:59 pm »

I am not a moderator, just someone who is eagerly awaiting Lyrita’s completion of the Daniel Jones Symphonies cycle, and was frustrated to find that the post I commented on was nothing to do with Daniel Jones.
Graham Whettam’s music is certainly worthy of comment, but that should be posted on a new thread.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:40 pm »

I am not a moderator, just someone who is eagerly awaiting Lyrita’s completion of the Daniel Jones Symphonies cycle, and was frustrated to find that the post I commented on was nothing to do with Daniel Jones.
Graham Whettam’s music is certainly worthy of comment, but that should be posted on a new thread.

Yes, I agree Gabriel's post about Graham Whettam was a bit "ad hoc", - but "frustrating"?   Sometimes you make a mental association, as in that moment Gabriel thinking about Daniel Jones led his mind to Graham Whettam via some neural networking mechanism, and he then just quite spontaneously articulated the thought that was provoked.  On a deeper level, that's how creativity happens, and more superficially, - conversation.  Tangents are a quite normal and sometimes even delightful phenomenon when observed in recognizably informal mediums like this one, and any "errant" expressions generally (and gently) re-directed back to their original take-off point by simply continuing on with the centralizing topic, rather than called out directly for censure.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: