The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:00:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6574 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:30:56 pm »

I am informed that following the January release of the Daniel Jones Symphonies Nos. 1 and 10, Nos. 2, 3, 5, 11 and 12 are being prepared for release in 2017/2018-all in the performances by the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra under Bryden Thomson.

This is one of the best pieces of musical news I have heard for a long time......so I shall go away and cheer with maximum enthusiasm  ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:40:58 am »

I totally and utterly agree! :) :) Bad news for my bank balance,mind! :( So many releases suddenly. Holbrooke from Cpo,and another one on the horizon. A release of Sacheverell Coke Piano concertos,at some point (next year?) More Havergal Brian from Naxos (a budget release) and I see they've already got a conductor lined up for his Faust opera (but haven't quite got enough funding....yet!) Missa Cambrensis by Grace Williams from Lyrita too,I believe?! (Soon?) It could be an expensive year ahead!! ::) ;D And I've just been listening to a commercial cd recording of Bernard Van Dieren's Chinese Symphony. Pinch me,I'm dreaming! :-\ ;D Other that,I'm delighted! Although,it sounds like Dundonell might need a sit down & a nice cup of tea after all this excitement!

Incidentally,I didn't realise until now that Grace Williams had her own website:

http://gracewilliamscompo.wixsite.com/officialwebsite (Hope this link work. It is up there!)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »

See this discussion on the Musicweb Forum and, in particular, the response from Antony Smith of the Lyrita Recorded Edition Trust.

http://members2.boardhost.com/MusicWebUK/msg/1478278437.html

It is marvellous to actually get a public response from a record company :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 04:29:42 pm »

Wow! Just read the posts. Excellent! It's heartening to know that they are reading,and not only that,taking notice of such posts!

Regarding Chandos. I wonder if it's purely a matter finances? The economic downturn (as they have pointed out) and the loss of those conductors who undoubtedly had such great enthusiasm for more off the beaten track repertoire? Is it possibly more to do with some change of direction at the helm? Brian Couzens died not so long ago (*2015). Is it possible that his son has different ideas? They often do! Lyrita and Dutton manage some very interesting releases of less commercial fare. Chandos,on the other hand,judging from their releases over the last few years,seem to have very little interest if any at all. Albeit,with a few minor exceptions (I see they've brought out a cd of British tone poems). Also,their increased repetition of repertoire which has already received very good,if not excellent,recordings elsewhere,ie Atterberg and Raff,for example,when they could be spending money and time on composers and music that remains unrecorded,has been ill served on cd,or available only via inadequate recordings.

Just wondering?!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »

I fear the glory days of Chandos and British music are over. They have turned into just another record label. Very disappointing.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 02:17:40 pm »

It's their choice of repertoire that made them so special. I wonder if they might end up shooting themselves in the foot,though? If you want the sort of recordings they are making now there are plenty of other labels to choose from. I didn't really like one of the comments made by Couzens,in an interview,about some of the suggestions made on their forum. After all,it's people like us who helped make them so successful! Of course some suggestions were unrealistic. A complete Cauldron of Annwn cycle!! (Now who would post that?!! ;D) But they did ask!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »

We have discussed this issue on a number of previous occasions. Whether Chandos has made a decision on artistic or on commercial grounds the path the company is now taking seems to be clear. As far as British music is concerned the general focus appears to be to in the main record repertoire which has already been recorded in years gone by but now using conductors like Sir Andrew Davis and Edward Gardner.

There are exceptions. We know, for example, that Chandos plans to record the David Matthews Symphony No.8 coupled with "A Vision of the Sea" and "Toward Sunrise" with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra under Jac van Steen. This was due to be recorded last year but has now been delayed until "sometime in 2017". One might have expected this from Dutton (which has recorded recent music by Matthews). I am however struggling to think when I last bought a Chandos disc of "new" British music.

One has to assume that the Davis and Gardner recordings, which have received enthusiastic reviews, do sell in sufficient quantities to justify Chandos continuing with this policy. I do not buy them because I already have the music in perfectly acceptable (and often much more than that!) performances and I need to conserve my cash for other things. Others are obviously of a different mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »

Somm, EM Records, Dutton, CPO and Lyrita (and still occasionally Naxos) are now my go-tos for the repertoire that I'm interested in. Chandos and Hyperion have largely had their day as far as I'm concerned. The deaths of Vernon Handley and Richard Hickox in close succession were, in hindsight, a real tragedy for British repertoire. Still, there is much to hope for from enterprising conductors such as Martyn Brabbins and John Andrews...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »

On the other hand, this looks nice:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010939
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »

Yes. It probably will be very nice - but almost everything has been recorded before (not that I'm complaining - it is always nice to have different recordings/interpretations).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 12:55:41 pm »

First it was British Overtures,now it's tone poems! A token gesture towards those who once flipped the pages of their new Gramophone Magazine straight to the Chandos ad to see what exciting premiere recordings they had in store for us! Maybe,a sign of hope? As to their Job and Ninth Symphony cd. A nice combination. Two favourite works (of mine anyway) but there are other very fine,classic or,at the very least,interesting options! ::) Yawn! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:57 pm »

Re-reading recent posts which have mentioned record companies and their support for British music I realised that I certainly had omitted to include Naxos. That company has also done wonderful work: the Havergal Brian series obviously,but also complete sets of the symphonies of Stanford, Bax, Alwyn, Arnold spring to mind but there was also, for example, John Gardner's Symphony No.1 and the reissues of the first six Maxwell Davies symphonies.

So...well done to Naxos too  
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »

And interesting releases of British chamber music. Their new and upcoming releases are certainly worth a look! :) Yes,well done Naxos! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 04:03:54 pm »

Re-reading recent posts which have mentioned record companies and their support for British music I realised that I certainly had omitted to include Naxos. That company has also done wonderful work: the Havergal Brian series obviously,but also complete sets of the symphonies of Stanford, Bax, Alwyn, Arnold spring to mind but there was also, for example, John Gardner's Symphony No.1 and the reissues of the first six Maxwell Davies symphonies.

So...well done to Naxos too  

Their series of recordings by the Bach Choir and Bournemouth SO under David Hill goes from strength to strength - Howells' Stabat mater, Stanford's Stabat mater and soon Dyson's early Choral Symphony and St Paul's Voyage to Melita. The Vernon Handley recording of the latter (s really splendid piece) on Somm is serviceable but let down by an insecure Bournemouth SO Chorus. When the new recording comes out it will make all of Dyson's major choral works available in strong performances:

Choral Symphony, Psalm 107, O Give Thanks Unto the Lord (Hill on Naxos)
In Honour of the City (Hickox on Chandos or Willcocks on Somm)
The Canterbury Pilgrims (Hickox on Chandos)
The Blacksmiths (Willcocks on Somm)
Nebuchadnezzar (Hickox on Chandos)
St Paul's Voyage to Melita (Hill on Naxos)
Quo vadis? (Hickox on Chandos)
Sweet Thames Run Softly (Willcocks on Somm)

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Kinder
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 08:47:14 am »

And interesting releases of British chamber music. Their new and upcoming releases are certainly worth a look! :) Yes,well done Naxos! :)

I think we should put in a word for the British Music Society, which I think has probably funded the recording of the Fricker String Quartets (and several others - see their 'recordings' page: http://www.britishmusicsociety.com/recordings/; the Fricker doesn't seem to have appeared there yet, but reading the rear label on the Amazon site reveals the involvement of the BMS.)  I once spoke to one of the committee members, who implied that Naxos is prepared to issue recordings on the basis that the material is supplied to them.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: