The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:25:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6760 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »

We have discussed this issue on a number of previous occasions. Whether Chandos has made a decision on artistic or on commercial grounds the path the company is now taking seems to be clear. As far as British music is concerned the general focus appears to be to in the main record repertoire which has already been recorded in years gone by but now using conductors like Sir Andrew Davis and Edward Gardner.

There are exceptions. We know, for example, that Chandos plans to record the David Matthews Symphony No.8 coupled with "A Vision of the Sea" and "Toward Sunrise" with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra under Jac van Steen. This was due to be recorded last year but has now been delayed until "sometime in 2017". One might have expected this from Dutton (which has recorded recent music by Matthews). I am however struggling to think when I last bought a Chandos disc of "new" British music.

One has to assume that the Davis and Gardner recordings, which have received enthusiastic reviews, do sell in sufficient quantities to justify Chandos continuing with this policy. I do not buy them because I already have the music in perfectly acceptable (and often much more than that!) performances and I need to conserve my cash for other things. Others are obviously of a different mind.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: