The Art-Music Forum
July 17, 2019, 03:30:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 1110 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 133

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:31:14 pm »

When I set up these groupings I acknowledged that they were "very rough" and "very crude". The so-called "Romantics" included composers whose music is mostly more lyrical than the so-called "Tonalists" but the main point of the post was simply to identify the major symphonists with at least five symphonies each born between 1900 and 1925 and to identify those whose symphonies were on cd. Dividing them into 'groups' was no more than to avoid a simple list of thirteen names. Malcolm Arnold's earlier symphonies, for example, are quite different from Nos. 7 and 8 in particular.

I accept that the distinctions may not be useful. If so.....ignore them. May main point was to emphasise the point that, of those composers named, Daniel Jones has as genuine a case to be regarded as one of the most important whose symphonies have not all been recorded and are on cd.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: