The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:23:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Jones Symphonies forthcoming on Lyrita  (Read 6738 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:03 pm »

Daniel Jones is one of 13 British symphonists born between 1900 and 1925 who wrote five or more symphonies.

These composers might be-very roughly-grouped into:

(a) "Romantics": William Alwyn (born 1905)-5 symphonies, all recorded, multiple versions; George Lloyd (born 1913)-12 symphonies, all recorded; Richard Arnell (born 1917)-7
                  symphonies, all recorded; Arthur Butterworth (born 1923)-7 symphonies, 4 on cd

(b) "Serialists/Modified Serialists": Benjamin Frankel (born 1906)-8 symphonies, all recorded; Humphrey Searle (born 1915)-5 symphonies, all recorded; Peter Racine Fricker (born
                   1920)-5 symphonies, 2 on cd

(c) "Tonalists": Edmund Rubbra (born 1901)-11 symphonies, all recorded; Arnold Cooke (born 1906)-6 symphonies, 4 on cd; William Wordsworth (born 1908)-8 symphonies, 4 on
                   cd;Daniel Jones (born 1912)-13 symphonies, 7 on cd (including the forthcoming Lyrita release); Sir Malcolm Arnold (born 1921)-9 symphonies, all recorded, multiple
                   versions; Ruth Gipps (born 1921)-5 symphonies, 1 on cd; Robert Simpson (born 1921)-11 symphonies, all recorded

Of course, I freely accept that these are very crude groupings and that there are differences (considerable in some cases) between the idioms used by these composers within groups and indeed between different symphonies composed throughout their lives by individual composers.

I have been teased at times for my (excessive? ;D) enthusiasm for many of these composers' works. But I do think that the symphonies of Daniel Jones rank very high within the body of symphonies composed by his (rough) contemporaries. I do think, for example, that they are more impressive and more interesting than the symphonies of Arnold Cooke ;D
It would therefore be "good" to have them all on cd.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: